PDA

View Full Version : Review of and links to 51 free modeling programs

Heyse
08-18-2002, 12:01 PM
As a task for school, I had to write a paper about freeware/shareware 3d modeling programs, together with my fellow student Bart Kools. The result, a 135-pages long pdf-file is ready for download at my site.
Too bad for most of you, it's written in Dutch, but things like system requirements, import/export possibilities, available tutorials, modeling tools, file size, etc. are in English anyway. There's also a screenshot for every program, so that also tells a lot.
If you don't want to download the paper itself, you can still check the page where I have gathered the links with the download URL's for every program.

BTW If somebody is interested in translating the whole thing, don't hesitate ;o)

To the site (http://www.3d.yucom.be)

Joril
08-18-2002, 12:39 PM
Hey, plezant om es een overview te hebben van alle freeware die er is.
Ik zal dat werkje eens bekijken als ik de tijd heb. :D
Bedankt!

Heyse
08-18-2002, 04:29 PM
Wel eigenlijk moet dat zijn: "alle freeware die er was ", want dat werkje is al een tijdje geleden gemaakt en ik vermoed dat er ondertussen al een hele hoop programma's zijn bijgekomen.

De reden dat ik er nu pas melding van maak is het feit dat ik deze site nog maar net ontdekt heb.

ilasolomon
08-18-2002, 11:43 PM
maa ke hich'chi nafahmidim...mish e' be farsi begin? ;)

macdonaldj
08-19-2002, 12:58 PM
Interesting and useful information- at least I imagine so(I'm downloading it now).

Shame you missed out Art of Illusion, though (www.artofillusion.org). It's an Open Source 3D application which beats many, if not all, the ones you reviewed !

Regards

Julian

Heyse
08-19-2002, 05:06 PM
Well, I finished that paper a couple of months ago, so I guess a lot of new applications can be added to that list now.

The reason I'm posting the link now, is that I have just discovered this forum.

macdonaldj
08-19-2002, 06:03 PM
Just for the record, it's not new - it's been around since 1999 !

Julian

Heyse
08-20-2002, 05:31 PM
Ok, then apparently it's one that I must have missed, sorry about that.
I've been active in several 3D forums and newsgroups to gather links and information for that paper, but no one has pointed me to Art of Illusion before.

emtilt
08-26-2002, 11:49 PM
I made something similar awhile ago....go to http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/512417 to check it out. It is in English and has much more than 51 programs.

It needs to be updated, which will be done soon. I have about 20 more programs I have found that I can add.

Heyse
08-27-2002, 06:59 PM
Ok, but what you have is a list of 3D programs. What I have are in-depth reviews of 3D modeling programs, so I have excluded render engines and other non-modeling application.

Having that said, I will link to your site, as soon as the FTP-problems I'm currently experiencing are solved. So, thanks for the information.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.