PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Brett King

bekay
10-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Brett King has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

bekay
10-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi all

here is one of my first ideas ... sort a utopian world ...all water and rock towers being attacked all of a sudden ...they have no defences because they have no need
the towers will differ from each other as well as boats on the water

bekay
10-21-2004, 11:48 AM
here is a bit of an update on the concept

Subtle_Goat
10-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Hello, and good luck with your entry.
I know its rough so far,and i can see the beginnings of your idea, but why exactly do the towers not need protection? I think, if you can expand upon the idea of a utopia to something more specific, and can manage to tell why it is a utopia under attack in the picture then this it has potential. One other thing, is that the the stone towers dont seem to fit in with the idea of a utopia: they're rather utiliatarian, when one expects a utopian world to have function behind form (but then everyone has differnet ideas about utopia).
Hope you do well with your entry
-s

bekay
10-21-2004, 12:39 PM
i have been looking at the concept for a while and i think it needs to be more dramatic...cant really place my finger on how at the moment ....maybe camera angle or....something

any ideas?

bekay
10-21-2004, 01:17 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3834/3834_1098361061_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3834/3834_1098361061_large.jpg)

i only realised that i have to upload through here .... sorry

andreas-V
10-21-2004, 03:14 PM
Hello there!
I think that a change of the camera angle would improve your image.Take advantage of the fact that spceships can move in all directions and look for a more extreme angle,maybe an attack from under the water for a change.

Good luck for you!

bekay
10-21-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi

andreas - thanks for the reply ... i was thinking of a close up of the attacking craft and many more "buzzing around" the towers. the underwater idea is excellent but i want to keep the veiw of the towers and the "water world".

about the angle maybe zoom out and make it a more panoramic one....but the criteria of the comp says that it has to fit somehow on a 22x30 format

Trunks
10-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Hi,
for more dramatic you could make a real big army flying towards the tower. The Camera should be behind the towers, show the towers and looks on the sun rising. In front of the sun there could be the fighters.

Or you could put one fighter in the corner of the image, the camera shows the towers and the flight path of the rockets the fighter had shot.

bekay
10-21-2004, 05:02 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3834/3834_1098374559_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3834/3834_1098374559_large.jpg)

playing a bit with the format

bekay
10-21-2004, 05:04 PM
thanks trunks for the crit

yeah i think that i will concentrate on one big fighter (scout?) in the corner/foreground and others...much smaller in the distance

WazaR
10-26-2004, 01:23 AM
Nice comp.

I would suggest to stay away from using the planet "saturn". Believe me you will not be the only one to use it in this chanllege.

I have a hard time getting a sense of epic scale from your composition. Have you considered adding anyother elements like capital ships or support vessals to give more wieght to this scene? Other idea that you could consider is to include native animal life, like flying fish, or sea ferring flying birdlike creatures? It would add alot of realism to this comp. Also considering the effect of coral or of schools of fish close the the surface to the water and their effect on the possiblites in lighting and textureing..

Good luck amigo.

bekay
10-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the interest

Wazar- i agree that saturn will be overdone here in the competition .... i just wanted to see a planet there for composition sakes.

i was intending on adding some support ships as well as troop transports... making it an all out invasion.

the idea about the animal life forms is great and i will have to think a bout how to introduce them....great idea

thanks again

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.