PDA

View Full Version : need quick PS help from a desktop publisher!

Spritemare
10-18-2004, 02:31 PM
I'm dealing with a printer who'se giving me a hard time about an ad I made. It's in CMYK, and she's complaining that all of the black shades must be 100% black and NOT CMYK. The only problem with that is that I have no idea how to do this in photoshop.

I clicked the black swatch and set all of the colors to 100% and re-submitted it, but she replied and said the problem is still there. I even tried dropping in the text from Illustrator. This lady isn't helpful, and is giving me no advice as to what I should do....unfortunately this is a trade magazine my company puts ads in every few months.

anyone know?

Ghostscape
10-18-2004, 06:03 PM
The lady shouldn't have to give advice on what to do, because her job is printing, not making the art.

I'm assuming from your explanation of the problem that she can't print a "super black" of black+a color. In PS, the easiest way to fix this would be to duplicate your black channel (we're making a selection mask) and then use curves to clamp out the non-pureblack parts. Then, load up the channel as a selection and subtract it from the CMY channels. Then, delete your selection mask channel and give it to her.

Spritemare
10-18-2004, 07:03 PM
jesus...I have to do this every time I send an ad? I'd hate to say it, but I think I'm going to go back to QuarkXPress :(

thanks for the tip

halo
10-18-2004, 07:48 PM
is she talking about text elements or something like line art?...if so then that colour can be specified, however if its a contone cymk image the your black will be mixed...if you need to specify a specific area then you will need to do this in CYMK mode and make sure that your profile is retained and honoured when they open it up the other end. Working in RGB and/or converting from one profile or colour space to another can also shift colour values.

its not uncommon to have text in just black, because if its done correctly it means only one plate needs changing for different languages, however its more common to use a second black for that.

you can play with your colour management and conversion settings to achieve 100% black, but obviously if your dealing with a contone image there will be things for you to resolve.

worthwhile reading (login as guest)

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@7.NbXvdY4pduv.8@.3bb6215f

im sure your printer is aware, but you may not be that 100% rarely prints black...it looks more like dull dark grey, hence the use of "super black"...

Spritemare
10-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Thanks -- I think that last line you wrote explains it, it's somewhat of a dark gray color. I guess the thing that confuses me the most is that this is the only printer who has said this, everyone else successfully prints everything I send them, and it winds up looking great. Maybe she's using old technology or something :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.