PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Dimitris Liatsos

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

DimitrisLiatsos
10-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Dimitris Liatsos has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/view_entries.php?challenger=3794)

Latest Update: Final Image: The FAll of Kaheldar - Final IMAGE
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1105817061_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1105817061_large.jpg)

...Well...Final Image...comment on image.....well

Kaheldar will not fall....

DimitrisLiatsos
10-18-2004, 01:23 PM
The Fall Of Kaheldar is coming....:twisted:

good luck and have fun to all ....:bounce:

jddog
10-18-2004, 02:48 PM
nice to see ya again Dimitri !!! good luck to you...

jdd

digital_rhino
10-18-2004, 03:07 PM
yasoo feele. Good to see you in the challenge. Now all my hope is lost. Cant wait to see Kaheldar fall.:thumbsup:

EmpY
10-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Hey Dimi, :-D
This is going to be great!!! Mega Theme for Mega Nuts, hahaha!!
good luck!!!

JamesMK
10-18-2004, 03:20 PM
I just know that Kaheldar will fall hard and with lots of graphical candy, nutto!

KurtBoutilier
10-18-2004, 03:21 PM
Its going to be a great challenge... Cant wait to see what you will come up with=)

Good luck Mate

flyingP
10-18-2004, 03:44 PM
also looking forward to what you come up with this time :D

adr
10-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Nice to see you again Dimitri , good luck man :thumbsup:

BadPenny
10-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Happy challenge..and good luck of course!!:)

swag
10-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Dimitri is in again damn you miss no challenge :thumbsup:

dominicqwek
10-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Good to see you in this one dimi. All the best :)

thoughtcriminal
10-18-2004, 06:50 PM
I remmember your thread in the last challange, and the great work you've done, Can't wait to see your work for this one!

Good luck!

madshooter
10-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Hi Dimitris Liatsos, Your Machineflesh entry challenge with all those fully loaded big guns was really cool, I am eager to know what you are planning to create this time.:)

DimitrisLiatsos
10-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Guys i really mean it..one of the things i am so happy every time there is a challenge is that
i can find all u guys and girls again ...and for sure have awesome time with all of u.
From the time the theme of this Challenge was on i can't stop thinking the endless possibilities for visualization and how kick a$$ works i will see from all u guys.

weeee

U ARE ALL NUTS ( lets not forget ourselfs...:banghead:although i have to find something new to call u in this Challenge :scream: )

Have fun...

rattlesnake
10-18-2004, 08:25 PM
good luck Dimi...i cant wait to see your supanuts ideas gettin alive!!....ok lets rock'n roll!

spirogyro
10-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Hey Hey! Good luck Dimitri! Nice to see you in the challenge. This theme looks like it's right up your alley!

Virtuoso
10-18-2004, 11:19 PM
King of the nutzzz is baaaaack............:cool:

Well Dimi old friend,this has almost too many possibilities,all as cool as one can dream for..............i'll be checking up on you with both eyes............All the best and I look forward to "The Fall Of Kaheldar"...............:beer: :arteest:

Shouit
10-18-2004, 11:31 PM
hello and good luck from me too. i am really curious what you will come up with this time. i'm still not sure if i should join this challenge after i couldn't finish the machineflesh challenge.

i'll keep an eye on your progress...

oshiroii
10-18-2004, 11:37 PM
Seen some of your work and I'm intrested so, subscribing! :D Good luck!

DimitrisLiatsos
10-18-2004, 11:53 PM
Hey guys thanks for the welcome ..i am so happy to see u all again :bounce: Let's have fun

I have to give a story ..and i think i am ready.Forgive my ENGRISH in any place u will notice them :)

THE STORY

The Fall Of Kaheldar

Isbur and Grana are two planets in a solar system in a parallel course with this of the Earth. What people don't know yet is that there also parallel civilizations , like Earth's , exist , only more...much more advanced. Grana ..and Isbur are very close planets to each other ...so close that the one looks to the other like a moon.

The prosperity in the two planets some centuries ago was starting to take different paths.

Isbur was advancing by always taking notice that they have to charrish the planet they live in. They advanced in technology but also they advanced in taking precotions and always have the basics needs of their land taken care of . Air , vegetation and of course ...water.

Grana on the other side was also advancing very much but in the way of their technological advacement they seem to have forgotten the planet itself. In about the last 200 years they started to have problem with the air and the land was becoming dry.

That's when all started ....the basic need for WATER.

It's a battle for survival...

The chrono - camera will try to catch the moment of that historical battle between the army of Grana as they are trying to take the first and most strong Outpost of the City of Kaheldar ...metropolis of the planet of Isbur. One of the most heavy assaults in this Galaxy's history.

The Outpost is devided from the rest of the outland from a huge canyon and it is connected to it with a very advanced bridge system.....this bridge is the reason for this strong battle. Grana's army has to take it if they want to bring down Kaheldar.

What will it be....

......:)

P.S : SPACE NUTS...i hope this can be fun to look when it will finish.

JamesMK
10-18-2004, 11:57 PM
Awrightie - epic battle! Cannot possibly go wrong with that, Dimi-dude!

Antropus
10-19-2004, 02:58 AM
I don't liked the idea and I hate you, Dimi!
Just kidding :D

Good luck, my friend ;)

Kris

superlayer
10-19-2004, 03:30 AM
Uh oh... its the second battle for water entry I have seen so far. First one was from a finnish guy.
Well water is precious alright.

Good luck.

cgtalkmember
10-19-2004, 06:01 AM
Good luck even though im one of your adversaries lol :D

jddog
10-19-2004, 08:12 AM
Let the the Fall Of Kaheldar beginn !!!
jdd

Saschi0815
10-19-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi Dimi,

what an epic story - I expect only the best from u since the machineflesh challenge:thumbsup:
Can't await to see the Kaheldar-Visus:bounce:

Best wishes to u my friend! Let the battle begin:buttrock:

obeewan
10-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Sounds epic! (errr, well that's the goal... :p)

I'll stay tuned for your work!

Cartesius
10-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Let the madness begin! :)

/Anders

Designer2
10-19-2004, 07:50 PM
good to see you here Dimitris.
:)

LucianoBerutti
10-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Hi!! Dimitris ! good luck!! I´m in too again, a long time ago I was disappeared from the challengs but now I´m back, have nice work!
Good idea

sad
10-19-2004, 09:30 PM
interesting story.

DimitrisLiatsos
10-20-2004, 01:45 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098233133_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098233133_large.jpg)

Just a first thought...i am not sure yet but i wanted to see my thought on screen. I know...u see models...these are models of mine(scrap yard) that helped me visualize fast this concept....sorry ...not good in painting...but i will update with more.....
They will not in any way be used in the 3d part of the challenge but they do help now see the scale of the thing.

dshelton
10-20-2004, 01:52 AM
I am really digging the color palette in your concept, it is looking great so far.

I need to get busy, hehe

DimitrisLiatsos
10-20-2004, 02:01 AM
@ JamesMK ...i hope not ...it's so promising theme for having BUBBLES FUN time....

@ Antropus hey Brazilero Bubble! U are having fun in San Clemente?...i hate u too...and that Boxx on your office too :scream:

@ superlayer, Cgtalk member, jddog, obeewan thanks guys

@ Saschi0815 ...heeey hi man, glad to see u again...i come to your thread and throw some 3d bubbles for wishing good start to you.

@ Cartesius ...yes...i agree it's madness but with bubbles (i think i found the new teaser noun for this challenge) BUBBLES.... :bounce:

@

Designer2, luciano Berutti,sad ....nice to see to guys again....good luck too and have fun

EmpY
10-20-2004, 02:03 AM
Yeah, good ol' classic book cover :-)...and you in the corner, of course, hahaha

tabajara
10-20-2004, 02:06 AM
Very good Story and concept art!!

Good luck!

GaNNEl
10-20-2004, 02:19 AM
Hey! Hello! I'm new... Just came to say good luck and cool story line there! I'll stay tuned for any visual work! :)

spirogyro
10-20-2004, 03:43 AM
What? thats a sketch? and here I thought you were done already!

Nice stuff as always!!:buttrock:

jddog
10-20-2004, 07:05 AM
when I saw your first sketch here is what's happend to me....

........> :bounce:

I love the deep that you have in your visual... great space and nice architecture/design stucture like I can view in the sketch.
jdd

superlayer
10-20-2004, 07:17 AM
Nice sketch. More.. moooreeee...

flyingP
10-20-2004, 07:46 AM
way to start :thumbsup:

and yes, moooreeee!

JamesMK
10-20-2004, 08:03 AM
You're supposed to start with a SKETCH - not a finished piece, Dimitris :D Now slowly step back to your drawingboard - keep your hands where I can see them, sir! - and make your sketch.... nice and easy. Nobody needs to get hurt... we'll talk about this....

terraarc
10-20-2004, 08:06 AM
Hello from me too, neighbour!!!:) Interesting storyline and superb sketch, especially the coloring!! I made myself one but it looks really crap!!!

Waiting for more sketches, concepts and what ever will lead you to.....

"The Fall Of Kaheldar"

Keep it up neighbour!!:thumbsup:

I sketch in Patras you see!!!

Designer2
10-20-2004, 08:38 AM
oh man oh man, Dimitris, this is realy fascinating, (colors, objects, composition, constuctions and air fighters) are all coming nicely on this piece.
you know this two huge constructions looks great i realy would say it is going to be great one if you make third very close and near to give the details no limits.
good stuff :eek:

Projectkmo
10-20-2004, 08:46 AM
Geez! That Sketch could be an Entry in the 2D Challange alone! Wow! This looks awesome!

dominicqwek
10-20-2004, 11:10 AM
dimi, you nearly gave me a heart attack with that "pre-viz sketch" of yours... scary.. :scream:

oshiroii
10-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Really cool :thumbsup:
What are those brown spheres flying around?

linda
10-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Dimitris that is a great concept and ORIGINAL Like it a lot.

Kali epitixeia!
Good luck!

Saschi0815
10-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Must agree with James: This is just finished:D Great artwork so far!!!

In German words: Krass,Alter!!!

This wll be a wonderful thread, Dimi - keep it up, man!:thumbsup:

gpepper
10-20-2004, 02:01 PM
A sketch ?

This is more than a good sketch ! some people would like to do such a sketch for their final project !

DanielWalsh
10-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Don't think my sketches are gonna be of a standard even close to yours, quite jealous... I'm guessing you're not going to use the same models for the final piece? But something similar would look v.v.cool. What are the metior looking things, coming from above?

Good luck, can;t wait to see your next update...

DimitrisLiatsos
10-20-2004, 03:18 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098281932_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098281932_large.jpg)

Wow...i didn't expect this welcome on this drawing. I am sorry i am no painter and maybe some 2d artists are freaking out...sorry for that.
But in any case thanks for the encouragement.

Continued on concept 1 here is 1-B
Just refining a little the first one...
So...what do u think i should go with this one or maybe use the time and make some more....

DanielWalsh
10-20-2004, 03:46 PM
I would stick with this one, maybe alter the landscape a little though. It needs something more, because there seems to be too much sky... Add some kind of mountains in the background maybe? Just an idea...

jddog
10-20-2004, 03:54 PM
So...what do u think i should go with this one or maybe use the time and make some more....

Personally I love this one, scale, dimension, space, idea of colors, design structure looks really good... just my POV
jdd

toastie
10-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Nice!! I love the sketches. Looks like you're all done, haha!

oshiroii
10-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Very nice. I like the idea of the big space ship buildings. They'll look awsome in 3d. I also really dig the effect on the top-right corner. (the blue stuff) Would love to see this image get together some more :thumbsup:

wildekyote
10-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Great start! :thumbsup: I like the unique ship designs. They should be fun to model. Looking forward to seeing more.

Seven
10-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Thats a really nice concept, reminds me of Close Encounters.

madshooter
10-20-2004, 05:12 PM
Man, your concept is amazing:thumbsup: . can't wait to see more.

JamesMK
10-20-2004, 05:18 PM
Looks absolutely awesome!

One thing: You've got a distant ship in the middle sort of falling down in flames... This would look great if you break it up a lot... I want to see millions of pieces scattered there... and dead pets - small pieces of dead pets falling down...

adr
10-20-2004, 05:58 PM
impressive work Dimitri , i really like the colors and the depth in your drawing. The structure in the back is just amazing man .

Keep going :)

JTD
10-20-2004, 10:16 PM
This looks like the finished product! I am so inspired! :thumbsup:

In contrast, my concept sketches are line drawings with a red pen on yellow post-it notes.

DimitrisLiatsos
10-20-2004, 10:18 PM
@ monkeyboy1982 ...yes i thought about mountain on the background ..i just want them to be dramatic, i will add that if this is the final angle of view.. thank u friend !

@ jddog, toastie thanks friends..i think i will go with this one...although we have time and ideas are coming in my head all the time...i have to check on more perspective views to be sure :wip:

@ wildekyote, Seven, madshooter :) thanks friends ..this is most encouraging.

@ oshiroii ...on the top-right corner. (the blue stuff) ...that is the planet of Grana race! This is the place all the invasion starts from... :)

@ Saschi0815 ..thank u man for your kind words..i am waiting to see what u will come up with and suprise me again... :thumbsup:

@ gpepper ...thanks...lol...yes it's a photoshop sketch (in a composition way) to tell the story...thank u friend...By the way ..U HAVE A KICK A$$ AVATAR! ..along with the crazy wabbit JamesMK and Totoro guy..he knows who he is.... :bounce:

@ JamesMK ....get out of my mind crazy wabbit..yes i will blow to hundreds of pieces the damn thing... :D

@ adr ...thank u ..are u on this one too?...u are ? aren't u?

KOryH
10-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Great Sketch!!!
I would push the relationship between the structures. Right now they are a little too similar
and you are loosing some depth.
This will be easier in 3D, but I thought I would mention it now anyway!!!

GaNNEl
10-20-2004, 11:43 PM
OMG!!! What a SKETCH!!! Like a lot those UFO style things!!! Great man I'll be tuned for mooorrreee! and BTW: If those are just sketchs I really dont have any chances of winning this, you guys are too much! heh! But anyways I'll do it for fun! Good luck!! :D

sykosys
10-21-2004, 01:13 AM
I think I'll just have to post an image of some crazed squiggly lines, and call it my sketch. I have to get going on the 3D, or I'll never catch up. :)

Great work so far, Dimitris.

JRBRAZ
10-21-2004, 02:26 AM
This is a sketch?????

Really good. Now my sketchs will be single lines after yours ... :bounce:

erilaz
10-21-2004, 02:27 AM
More flaming wreckage would be very cool. I guess it depends on how much time you've got!

Maybe you should be entering the 2d part as well!:)

JamesMK
10-21-2004, 08:12 AM
....get out of my mind crazy wabbit..yes i will blow to hundreds of pieces the damn thing... :D
:p Now look here, I specifically said 'millions'... we cannot expect to have a decent dialogue if you're constantly going to CHANGE what I tell you... Sure, I can see how things get twisted around in your head, like "he he, he said millions.... I'm sure nobody will notice if I only make a few hundred.. hehe" - - but I'm not gonna take it!
Use some kind of explosion modifier or some fragment-based particles or make every bit manually, I don't care, just get the numbers right, m'kay!?

Archetype
10-21-2004, 08:56 AM
sketches ?

man thats art ..
my sketches a re like doodles compared to this
we'll they actualy are doodles
O.o

Wiro
10-21-2004, 08:57 AM
Nice sketch Dimitris, I like the choice of colours and sense of scale. The overall composition feels pretty crowded though and I can't really find anything to focus on. Maybe it would work better if you had one central piece.
Good luck! Looks like a good start

Wiro

Lemog
10-21-2004, 09:31 AM
I read all... great story and great sketches...

...and a great pleasure for me to follow an another work of you my friend...

a too interesting thread... I'm persuaded :thumbsup:

Lemog...

Shouit
10-21-2004, 10:10 AM
the colors in your "sketch" are really great. and the basic idea looks good. i think wiro has a point though. it's hard to find a focus in the picture.
but it still is an amazing start - can't wait to see the updates.
(still not sure about joining the challenge myself)

PreatORiAn
10-21-2004, 10:35 AM
enter those in the 2d competition and then go back to 3dmodelling here ;)

nice work, keep it up

evanfotis
10-21-2004, 12:33 PM
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=DarkOrange]
Hi Dimitri,
I've seen some of yor work on cg and your site and :thumbsup: !!
I like your composition, and the colorset you've used, giving the depth of field.
Maybe if you kept just the main objects in the scene, emphasizing on them, and either fading out or removing some of the smaller crafts, would give a more striking and bold image.
Adding too many elements in the comp, kinda distracts the eye.
Unless your going to animate this, if it remains a still image, I would look into syntheticaly adjusting the objects to have a flow.
Make a sketch on paper, and just draw lines of the motion and positon of your elements.
Since your Greek, it is easy to recall the rule of the 3/4, the golden rule etc.
Best luck,
looking forward to your WIP.
Evan

DimitrisLiatsos
10-21-2004, 12:41 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098358885_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098358885_large.jpg)

Some more experimantation on the theme.
Thanks guys for your encouragement.

KoryH and Wiro are vey right. I will of course will be carefull about balancing the image and have a central theme. The towers that hold the bridge will not be so symmetrical as in concept just as KoryH is suggesting..thanks man. I just needed something similar to volume to show my thoughts.
I am forming my final scene in my mind and just before posting concepts on battleships , crats , guns and stuff , i would like once more your comments on this last concept i am posting.

Thanks guys for the kind words ...but i wouldn't dare to post anything among the monsters in the 2d challenge...what u see is just a Photoshop composition to explain my thoughts. Any model used here will NOT be used in the final composition.

...and yes JamesMK...i will make it millions of pieces...anything for the crazy wabbit. :bounce: :)

Versiden
10-21-2004, 12:53 PM
holy crap... your concept sketch almost looks like a final image!

what are trying to do, make us look bad? haha..

great work man, I'll be following

nix0r
10-21-2004, 12:57 PM
that's just awesome :o nothing more to say

JamesMK
10-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Stunning as ever before!

What would look absolutely awesome for the final image here is if you could somehow get a part of one of those big flying structures really really close to the camera... Not sure how to solve that in a compositional sense, but that would be your problem :D

mv
10-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Looking epic indeed ! if that's just your concept, can't wait to see the final :)

joshcxa
10-21-2004, 01:12 PM
haha looks good how it is now!

look forward to updates

flyingP
10-21-2004, 01:28 PM
great stuff, you need some sort of focus in the composition to give a bit more depth though IMO

Lemog
10-21-2004, 02:47 PM
I'm afraid when I imagine your final image... how it's possible to do better thing... your sketch is yet fantastic Dimitris... Incredible man...

NUT NUT NUT... no doubt :eek:

gpepper
10-21-2004, 03:08 PM
I can't believe my eyes ! This is a nice sketch, better than I can do myself in 12 months !

madshooter
10-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Man, your concept sketch is getting better and better.:thumbsup:

taavi
10-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Holy ghost... If this is conceptual pic, then how does the final pic look like :eek:
Good luck with the contest !!!

Taroe
10-21-2004, 03:32 PM
That's an awesome concept. Good luck... well, in my experience there's no such thing as luck so may the best talent win. :)

Taroe
10-21-2004, 03:37 PM
That's an awesome concept. Good luck... well, in my experience there's no such thing as luck so may the best talent win. :thumbsup:

DimitrisLiatsos
10-21-2004, 03:53 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098370400_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098370400_large.jpg)

The previous in a closer frame and in a portrait setup. Do like it better or worse this way?

thanks guys....i will try to fix more and more things when i will start modeling and positioning the models in 3d space...

Hey Lemog my friend how is your newborn my French friend...it's taking all your time eh ? Give your baby a kiss from unkle Dimitris .

flyingP
10-21-2004, 04:05 PM
I'd say it was much better !!! :thumbsup:

oshiroii
10-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Very spectacular and iconic. I must agree with a focal point. Something that will really get all your attention after a while.

Normally your eye just looks at the image, follows some compositions line and ends up in the focal point. Now there might be too much happening at the same time. Don't get me wrong, I love the image, but you've got some lovely structures on the bottem-left, an intresting looking planet on the right-top, more structures and stuff being destroyed on the lower-right cornet, you've got smoke and huge space vessels in the center and some where in the left top corner is also stuff happening. You should deffinitally finish this picture but be sure to check out what your composition lines are going to be and what will be the things you want people to look at.

I just love the colors :love:

the ship + bridge design look really cool.

EDIT: GRRR you beat me with posting, now I need to revise my thoughts! :p
The comments above are for 1.c

Cygnus-X
10-21-2004, 04:10 PM
WOW!!! this contest gonna be nuuuuttttsss :eek: Amazing sketch Dimitris :thumbsup: I already imagine your final that's gonna be crasy!! Id really like to participate to this challenge, that's a really interesting subject and there is a lot of great artist again, but i am really busy these days so i will not be able to enter :sad:

Well I wish you best of luck my friend, i will fallow your thread for sure. see yaa

jddog
10-21-2004, 04:20 PM
DimitriIi really like the quality and perfectionism that you have in your sketch, first of all :thumbsup: .

I got a question, how id you made the smokes champignos on the background, did you paint it ? Photo reference ? Render...

Btw I love how you evolve in this concept !

jdd

Chug
10-21-2004, 04:32 PM
I got a question, how id you made the smokes champignos on the background, did you paint it ? Photo reference ? Render...
That's also something I noticed in the close up view, and I was amazed with the quality of some elements of your picture...
And if this is only a concept sketch, then the amount of details on the final picture will be insane...

miketche
10-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Wow :eek: Fantastic work so far. I really like the vertical orientation. I says massive power to me.

diffa
10-21-2004, 05:13 PM
What can I say? WOW WOW WOW!!! Fantastic concept art. Good luck with the final work!

aLxDesigns
10-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Great concept and sketch Dimi! BUT!!
there is something missing in the sketch..I know its just the first one but still...
In the sketch we see ships/structures falling/exploding/burning...where is all this destruction coming from? I cant see any flying shells or any other weapon you (crazy Dimitri) will come up with...unless those black cable like things are lasers (whice have to glow..) coming from different places piercing the shi* out of those massive structures/ships.

This is my first contribution to the challange HOPE IT HELPS!!

A.M

Wiro
10-21-2004, 05:28 PM
It looks farkin great now! Good focus and lotsa action. There's gonna be an insane amount of detail goin in here :D
Looking forward to the first steps in 3d

Wiro

LucianoBerutti
10-22-2004, 02:13 AM
The Grand Prize goes to...:scream: , Man amazing scene you have to do this one!! I like more of this concept than another one. Rock on! :thumbsup: really nice! again . I go to kill you :twisted:

BookMansBlues
10-22-2004, 02:16 AM
I do have to say thats pretty damm cool.

igorstshirts
10-22-2004, 02:31 AM
Well...
For those of us who just entered this challenge... This is pretty disturbing. Nice sense of scale man.

Vahn
10-22-2004, 03:20 AM
*gape* .... amazing work... *subscribe* ... very skillful composition...ill check this thread every 30 secs :D

pascal_blanche
10-22-2004, 03:22 AM
nice colors dimitri , lots of thigs going on here, but maybe you should rethink a bit the construction of the whole, scene, from now it's a bit hard to focus the eyes on it ;) (maybe it is intentionnal?)

terraarc
10-22-2004, 08:41 AM
Geia xara from Patra,
Man your concepts changed my world of sketching and concepting....
Please notice when you start modelling (don't wanna look, don't wanna look!:eek:)

I like the idea of bringing it closer, but I believe that you should add the bridge's tower in this close up and maybe with some more color variations from the distant view.

Inspirational:thumbsup:

madshooter
10-22-2004, 09:28 AM
I agree with oshiroii. Your concept is really rocking but try making it more complex , you
can make lot of other things happening at the same time.:)

DimitrisLiatsos
10-22-2004, 01:33 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098448415_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098448415_large.jpg)

The idea is bothering me still...

LANDSCAPE frame

DimitrisLiatsos
10-22-2004, 01:36 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098448559_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098448559_large.jpg)

...and PORTRAIT. Which one you think is more dynamic?

taavi
10-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Hi Dimitris!
Congrats! So far one of the best (i think)
Both are dynamical, but landscape is more DRAMATICAL :)

Archetype
10-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Now THATS weird stuff

nice !

PreatORiAn
10-22-2004, 02:00 PM
Now THATS weird stuff

nice !
both 'wierd' and 'nice' were understatements :p
the compositions are starting to look more dynamic (good thing!)
waiting to see more from u ::)

DimitrisLiatsos
10-22-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi ...thanks u guys for the encouragement...and your kind words...please don't be so impressed by these drawings....i am not a painter...i just used old 3d stuff of mine and a picture from a bridge in USA or Canada(..don't remember)...just to visualize my thoughts. All the rest was done by simply compositing all together in Photoshop and working a lot with coloring. :)

@ flyingP... i know u like it more in portrait and i respect that but help 'cuase it still strugles in mind ...check these two ...:)

@ Burning_Frust .. ohh...don't worry there will be the reason of this destruction in my 3D scene :bounce:

@ Wiro ...thank u friend...i know u give much importance in the composition and angle of a story in a picture...i hope i can make it that good when it comes to 3D :banghead:

@ pascal blanché ... thank u . I am happy up to now only for the first part ..the colors...u are right about the rest ...it shows a little bit difficult to focus somewhere in my composition...i really don't know yet what to do ....focus on a character fighting (not in yet)...focus on building exploding ...falling in to millions of pieces...or just leave the image to be a story teller of a big battle...with stuff happening everywhere...U did the most tricky observation....forgive me i really don't know yet..i am fighting with this...and still i have to think clever ways to incorporate all this in a 3d scenery ...:banghead: ( this is one of these times that i wish i was an illustrator before i start 3d...)

@ terraarc hello to Patra man. So nice to see more 3d artist from Greece in this wonderfull forum.I will arrange the position of the Towers relating to camera more ..thanks :)

So please help me 'cuase i am having difficulty to choose..if we suppose this is close to final composition ..what would choose for more GRAND OPERA image ...
the LANSCAPE or the PORTRAIT...?

thanks

swag
10-22-2004, 02:07 PM
nice collage dimitri - i know this ufo looking things ... where i saw it ... :)

DimitrisLiatsos
10-22-2004, 02:15 PM
nice collage dimitri - i know this ufo looking things ... where i saw it ... :)

LOL... hahaha ..i imagine u know YES swag ....it helped a lot in this previsualization...i had done so many tests back then before the customer decide ...and now i am happy i can use them just previsualize stuff ...:thumbsup: :scream:

JamesMK
10-22-2004, 02:39 PM
Landscape certainly feels more cinematic and epic to me. But then I've always liked really wide scenarios.... To be honest, I don't think you could fail with either one of them - but if forced to choose, I'd go for landcape.

3doid
10-22-2004, 03:13 PM
o my holy mother of all cg gods!! being good is good but this is crazy!!... both of those really kicks ass... i love the feelings of it.. those images can get the grand prize in the 2D contest and man i can only imagine what is it gonna b in 3d?... man your one is the best i've seen so far... awesome lighting ans setup.. composition is phonomenal. i love those red and blue colors and the aweosme explotions.... i tried real har but cant really find any flaw... keep goin i love to c the end produck... may the CG god bless u!....

-mr.k

DanielWalsh
10-22-2004, 03:20 PM
For this challenge Dimitris, I'm going to opt for Landscape, simply because it adds to the feeling of some kind of epic drama.

I think that landscape images offer more scope for narrative, simply because they can be read as a story. ie, from left to right. Portrait pictures are usually just that, a portait of an object, and can sometimes lose narrative structure. If you are going to opt for the portrait route, then please make sure you include plenty of story telling features.

pleased you've broken up the background, kinda opens the picture,a nd forces your eye to wander more. Pleased you're considering altering each craft in the image too, don't just copy one object several times, make them all unique, adds to the overall interest of the picture as well.

Other than that, keep up the good work Dimitris...

jddog
10-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Landscape !

flyingP
10-22-2004, 04:01 PM
@ flyingP... i know u like it more in portrait and i respect that but help 'cuase it still strugles in mind ...check these two ...:)

It doesn't have to be in a portrait format Dimitris, and there is no reason why it shouldn't work in landscape, just with so much happening I think it'll work best when you have a centre of focus, bring the eye in first then let it wonder around a bit, but it needs a starting point (damn hope that wasn't to Engrish either :D )

sykosys
10-22-2004, 04:02 PM
I'd go for the landscape version. I find that the portrait isn't quite as good at conveying scale; in the landscape version, everything looks huge, whereas in the portrait version, they look a little more toyish.

oshiroii
10-22-2004, 04:25 PM
The landscape looks quite a bit more intresting too I think. Really nice stuff DimitrisLiatsos :D

EmpY
10-22-2004, 06:00 PM
WOW Dimi that's massive!!! They are both great, but I like the lanscape better.
Man, this is going to rock!!!
WOW!!!

BookMansBlues
10-22-2004, 06:05 PM
woha, for some reason I got the impression of melting clocks (the painting) on these last two.

I think I like the portait version, gets the viewer in more personal with the action. On top of that it still has the epic feel.

Daubermman
10-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Hi Dimitri, for me it's clear : the landscapeeeeee ! lol :bounce:

Good luck for the rest,

Cya
Alex

adr
10-22-2004, 06:54 PM
I prefer the landscape too Dimitri . You have a really nice sketch here , is superb, one of the best right now .

Keep the hard work man :applause:

superlayer
10-22-2004, 06:55 PM
I like the way its turning out.
Your "sketches" conveys the feeling and concept very very easily.
Its strong and convicing.
keep it up.

Lotus7
10-22-2004, 07:16 PM
sup simitris! awesome work!! ur going for the 2d challenge also!? right!?? :bounce: :thumbsup:

bakbek
10-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Superb work… these are really good 2D images, makes me drool…

I’ll go for the wide angle… has much more of a ‘punch’ to it. The colors and mood are great. Can’t wait to see the 3d stuff taking shape and light !!!

Ronen

rattlesnake
10-22-2004, 08:21 PM
oh my god!http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/eek.gifyour sketches are truly good...im really impressed....u can rock both challenges 3d n 2d easily...well this is getting into a really nice shape...lets see what comes next...great work my friend!

orvski
10-23-2004, 01:07 AM
Your concept looks good. The kind of feeling/similarities it gives me are: the scene in matrix revolutions when the diggers came down to zion.. and the latest CGchoice awarded digital painting called "Hell on Earth".. Looks like you were inspired, good job though!

GaNNEl
10-23-2004, 01:24 AM
One of the best WIP's in progtress so far... I like it a lot, especially lights and fire, even if they're sketches awesome work!!! Keep it comming! :D

BernardoDelgado
10-23-2004, 01:31 AM
damn and I tought mine was going to be great ahahha congratulations its gettin excelent and its just the concept art :eek:

Theodorus
10-23-2004, 02:09 AM
Good work! Your models are great, as are your Photoshop skills.

I like the potrait shot more than the landscape, only for the fact that it seems more dynamic.It seems more focused and therefore, more interesting ( in theory!)

Anyways, I love the way its goin'! Keep up the awesome stuff!

dominicqwek
10-23-2004, 05:19 AM
hey dimi, i prefer the portrait version. There's focus and it plays along with the vertical motion of the scene. Hope this helps ;)

-dom

D-3
10-23-2004, 05:25 AM
amazing work man.. do you finished? ehehehehe great realy great !!

bad luck for you hehehehe
best luck for all!!

c ya

alexru1z
10-23-2004, 05:40 AM
I think I just lost. there are so many awsome 3d artist in cgtalk, including you Dimitri. I don't think I have any chance of winning. Good luck on the contest.. :)

pBarrelas
10-23-2004, 06:02 AM
Dude your work is awesome!! And keeps getting better all the time!! Show more, show more...:bounce:

madshooter
10-23-2004, 07:44 AM
I like your landscape version, it looks more deep and grand.:)

Fred76
10-23-2004, 07:56 AM
... Great Work ... i prefer the lanscape version too ... think it is better for the theme of the challenge ...

ace4016
10-23-2004, 08:13 AM
Amazing work:eek: . I dont think theres much to critic on, right now atleast. I think the landscape shows more of whats going on, just make it big so we can catch everything. Can't wait to see more.

Kropyl
10-23-2004, 08:32 AM
I know everyone's already said this, but your concept art looks great! It's definitely good enough for me to be entered into the 2D contest! :) Keep up the superb work!

Virtuoso
10-23-2004, 09:22 AM
Hey is this January 17th 2005?.............................did I over sleep...................?When did you finish Greek God of bubbles...............:buttrock:

You gave us a choice,let's see now:hmm: .........................Advantages to both,with this piece I go with landscape by a nose.........................The scene is epic in action and mayhem,this needs extra wide landscape ratio aspects..................I think you just need to balance out for a more "Central" or "Star" of the piece.Create a main object as a main eye grabber.I think the eye needs to follow to this main central object,whatever you choose it to be,then it can sweep left to right and then back again.........

Ok,you are onto a Space opera and a half.Nice show,nice spectacle,just slow down some Dimi,give the rest of us horses a chance in this race....................Again looking very vibrant and "Big bang".........................:cool:

DJ-Prismatica
10-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Holy Jeebus! Your concept is freaking sweet! I can't wait to see the final product.

Borro
10-23-2004, 10:49 AM
Your concept looks like it's going to win a prize I just can't imagine the end product... Good luck! Keep it up!

pinnamraj
10-23-2004, 11:16 AM
nice concept dimitri

keep up the good work ,i find in there some inspiration

splotch
10-23-2004, 11:35 AM
wow nice work dimi both versions are grait and top ...
i prefer the lanscape version too...
good luck man

JamesMK
10-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Just thought I would inform you about a minor sidebar discussion, Dimitris - we have come to the conclusion that we have no choice but to send a small squad of evil killer squirrels and some moose fleas over to your place....

element5
10-24-2004, 12:17 PM
Fantastic images, cant wait for more updates :applause:

Eclisod
10-24-2004, 05:52 PM
i'd definetely go with landscape. it simply adds to the picture and permits for more details that can tell the story. amazing work!

TiTaNiuM sAMuRa
10-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Portrait, hands down.

The landscape form shows scale of event, but if your main players are going to be the massive ships, then you'd likely want to go portrait to emphasize the fact that the viewer is looking UP to the massive ship (scale of character).

If you're trying to convey scale of event, on the other hand, I'd consider raising your POV so that you're not looking UP, so much as looking out and around at the chaos going on AROUND you.

percydaman
10-24-2004, 06:03 PM
I also vote for landscape. when I think epic, I think large landscape. Cant wait for you to start your modelling.

DimitrisLiatsos
10-24-2004, 07:35 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098642940_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098642940_large.jpg)

Here is a start in the map of the area where the battle will take place . I have drawn on the image also a brief diagram regarding the position of every one involved in the battle...more to come.

Comments and crits are always welcomed.

percydaman
10-24-2004, 08:06 PM
whoa! looking cool!

DimitrisLiatsos
10-24-2004, 08:09 PM
Ooops...thanks guys ..really i didn't expect such response.

@ PreatORiAn, Voutlooz, 3doid, superlayer, monkeyboy1982, jddog, sykosys,Lotus7,bakbek, orgee, GaNNEl, Bernardo D, D-3 , pBarrelas,DJ-Prismatica,Borro
pinnamraj
...thanks friends for the support and good word ... :)

@ oshiroii, BookMansBlues, Daubermman, adr, Theodorus, Dom, madshooter,Fred76 , ace4016, Kropyl,splotch, Eclisod, TiTaNiuM sAMuRa, percydaman ...thanks ...i think i will go with LandScape Version...i just think i have to be carefull with what flyingP and pascal blanché mentioned...i need it to be a story teller of the battle..to have the stronge point of the moment and things happening all around...this is going to be the most massive challenge i think....:wip:

@ alexru1z ...thanks man...i say no one looses till it ends! ;)

@ flyingP...thanks man...i think i will be able not to loose focus on a landscape version.....(was that ENGRISH or not ?) :scream:

@ Empy .....Heeey welcome man....i am happy your in ....i think we will see more of your super staff.... :thumbsup:

@ rattlesnake thanks Mexican NUT :scream: ...i am happy to hear from u again.

@ Virtuoso hahahaa...thank u friend ...indeed u are right ..thank u for the advice Michael.

@ JamesMK ....a small squad of evil killer squirrels and some moose fleas over to your place....HAHAHAHAAH....better keep looking for that timeBOMB i 've planted under your house :scream: ....lol

superlayer
10-24-2004, 08:11 PM
Does look good.
Cool map.

simoncvy
10-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Is anyone else struggling with the reality of future battles? I love the ground-war concept and the clash over a bridge, but aren't future land battle going to be solved in a couple of minutes by nukes (or even more potent bombs?). I don't mean to knock your idea (my own concept is a land battle too!) but wondered if you had thought about this any.

pBarrelas
10-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Very nice map dude!! I'm liking it, keep on!!

DimitrisLiatsos
10-24-2004, 09:53 PM
Is anyone else struggling with the reality of future battles? I love the ground-war concept and the clash over a bridge, but aren't future land battle going to be solved in a couple of minutes by nukes (or even more potent bombs?). I don't mean to knock your idea (my own concept is a land battle too!) but wondered if you had thought about this any.

Well at first thought u are right...but remember from my story...the fight is for water ...do u throw NUKES and destroy the water of a planet ...the water u need?... :)
So the only solution is to go with convetional weapons...i think.

percydaman
10-24-2004, 10:58 PM

I dont think troops would be meeting on the field of battle, if it could be decided by the first who throws a nuke. Im sure there are shields and such that can contain a nuclear blast in the future. Of course theres also the good point about not damaging the environment and thus your precious water.

TheRealFlyBoy
10-24-2004, 11:03 PM
WOW!!!

That is some seriously impressive stuff. Love the whole concept. Cant wait to see more of the modeling phase. Your concept sketch is unbelievable.

Cant wait to see more! Good luck!

ace4016
10-24-2004, 11:28 PM
No point in time will there be a war the ends in a few minute from just droping something as dangerous and massive as a nuke or something more potent. The nuke is a double edged sword: it can hurt the people that released it too. Thats why nuke wars wont exist unless whoever is launching a bunch of nukes doesnt care about the consequences it may lead to. I would think in the future they would find more strategic ways instead of just brute force.

Nice map btw dimitris. Is that a map made in ps or is it in 3d?

DimitrisLiatsos
10-25-2004, 12:20 AM

Nice map btw dimitris. Is that a map made in ps or is it in 3d?

:bounce: Projection Map on a terrain sculped in my ZBrush2 ... :buttrock:

Seven
10-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Oh yes v nice. War of the Worlds meets Close Encounters (think ive said that about ur work before).

Really v nice! Cant wait to see more.

simoncvy
10-25-2004, 01:55 AM
Yep. Save the Water :) I like that. Hmm just how large could the population of Humanity grow on the water of earth alone? Then again there is no shortage of hydrogen and oxygen in the galaxy... just kidding. I like the way Dune handled projectile weapons - giving everyone personal shields that could not be penetrated by fast objects. I guess in my battle there is something similar that gives almost 100% protection from Nukes... a radiation stabilisation field or somesuch :)

dark-elf2
10-25-2004, 02:14 AM
i hate people that act like they arent good when they are 100X better than me
it makes me look really crap
lol
looking very good
i think that you need to show more of a battle on the ground
this should contain small and large vehicles and troop type things
i think this would add to the image
well i have to go a figure out how i can make my image 100X better than it is atm
lol
good luck

madshooter
10-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Very nice map.:thumbsup: coooool:)

serotonien
10-25-2004, 09:50 AM
best sketch seen so far

why taking 3d progs while having such an exellent rendering engine in your head?

since i´m a beginner a can´t say anything to quality
but you mention the reason for the conflict would be water
maybe you can show us the inclomplete trial of the civic´s to survive with less and less water

phase just before the conflict. I mean wouldnt they have tries to find technologie to reduce water needs? how would that look like?

Designer2
10-25-2004, 09:53 AM
i know you still didn't get too deep and the texturing milestone is not started on this thread, but the map youv'e got on that last image is so promissing, keep up this good work Dimitris...

BTW: can i barrow that land for my idea, he he, will save me lot of time.
:)

terraarc
10-25-2004, 10:01 AM
Work,work,work! I appreciate your workflow! Quite methodic, done with concept? OK, work on...

I can see the terrain is quite detailed but I can't really feel it's depth from the top view...Beginner's view you see :D! Anyway, keep it up...I hope your workflow will soonly bring on some vehicles and troops!!

(And a philoshophic question: What will a war be without troops? Imagine no life casualties! What's the purpose and where is the passion for victory?And when a war like that could be over?)

fellah
10-25-2004, 11:27 AM
heya old challanger friend! :)
i thought you had finished when i saw your "sketch" at page 8! :) agree with a better focal-point/action-point.. but i like it so far, red and blue miam miam.
i'll be back.. :wip:

DimitrisLiatsos
10-25-2004, 12:31 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098703862_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098703862_large.jpg)

I got to start from somewhere modeling ...i will be as fast as i can for all the different props around the scenery. My main focus and more time will be spent in the models in the main focus point (towers - bridge - explosions etc). But i definitely think that the most important will be the coloring and lights.

Ok...here is the SPARROW attack (Ground - AIr...heheheh) Grana ship...They fight in atmosphere..so must be carried in the planet somehow....something that was presented in my concept with those spherical things ....
(lol..too much to do...massive challenge....)

comments and crits always welcomed....

DimitrisLiatsos
10-25-2004, 04:04 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098716679_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098716679_large.jpg)

Sparrow Fighter 70% finished...

Comments and crits are welcomed.

tabajara
10-25-2004, 04:06 PM
hey dimitri!
thats awesome dude! very good concept/modeling! i love the design :D
keep going!

Velk
10-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Whoa Dimitris that last concept is killer! I can't tell from your early models and sketches if you've thought of this, but looking at it I thought that it would be cool if the tail and wings retracted durring its walking phase (to protect them) and that the engines could rotate so it could take off like a harrier jet does. Just a thought, keep up the good work.

Eldarion
10-25-2004, 04:17 PM
cool work, when i look back to my last spaceship/fighter that was a boxy ugly thing but that... this is great keep on workin' :thumbsup:

flyingP
10-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Oh great here I am struggling the last couple of days with my model, and you just slap that out.....hmmm, think we'll put those squirrels on steroids

sykosys
10-25-2004, 04:23 PM
Looking good... your entry is going to be a comping nightmare!

Larky
10-25-2004, 04:28 PM
That is a very clean model you have there, impressive stuff. You may have thought of this already but it would be cool if the engines in the main body of the craft were able to rotate up and down, around X as it were, like a vectorered thrust system.

I keep forgetting this is not an animaiotn, and all my cool ideas are pointless for a still! Ah well.

Larky.

pinnamraj
10-25-2004, 05:48 PM
awesome again and again and again

good modeling of the sparrow:)

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=180333

spirogyro
10-25-2004, 07:39 PM
pt! pt! mi se matiaso!!!:thumbsup:

markovicd
10-25-2004, 07:41 PM
woa dimi!
great craft!

gpepper
10-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Yes ! Amazing ! You model fery fast ! Cool design of the spaceship !

percydaman
10-25-2004, 08:02 PM
wow great craft! sure makes my work look like junk...hehe:thumbsup:

taavi
10-25-2004, 08:07 PM
Hey Dimitris!
You are really methodical! And model is :thumbsup:
How many years U have messed with 3d?
.... I am noth worthy...I am noth worthy...I am noth worthy...

DimitrisLiatsos
10-25-2004, 08:11 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098731489_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098731489_large.jpg)

Well...at the same time ...The original shape of the towers...from the Bridge side...the other side is the part that looks like a big hat ...someone said like melting clocks... :)

Hope u like it..

comments always welcomed....

DimitrisLiatsos
10-25-2004, 08:20 PM
Thank u guys for your kind words ..i haven't found time to check everyone's work..forgive me ...i will be a good fellow cgtalker later tonight :) .
U are really giving me strength.... :bounce:

The proccess is litlle crazy ...i will try to show more steps 'cuase i thing it will be most educational for some(i hope) and also 'cuase that was that Antropus and some other guys did last challenge and it was really helpfull... Funny thing is that some of the props in my concept will be modelled in a day or two...but i will try to be more analytic as also the rules of this challenge ask......Got to :wip: some BUBBLES now....cya

ace4016
10-25-2004, 08:31 PM
Your models and concepts are amazing. not only do you wokr fast but the quality of the work is pretty good. I hope to model that fast and good someday:sad: . In the meantime ill be practicing so i can join the next challenge and be a challenge:D . Keep up the good work.

pBarrelas
10-25-2004, 08:44 PM
Yeah i like your model!! That ship is pretty good, i can't wait to see the rest:bounce:

JorgeV
10-25-2004, 08:45 PM
Your sketches are great!

The towers are impressive and for the bottom you don't know what to draw, well they seem to be flying so what about some turbines or engines to keep them floting. It's a suggestion, you have a great imagination and talent! Keep up the good work!
Jorge

markovicd
10-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Thank u guys for your kind words ..i haven't found time to check everyone's work..forgive me ...i will be a good fellow cgtalker later tonight :) .

better for u to do that ! :D
kidding...:thumbsup:
i can see here exellent image

gpepper
10-25-2004, 09:53 PM
Uh yeah ! nice again !

renzo01
10-25-2004, 09:53 PM
nice concept
Good luck:applause:

Greetz

peterlalic
10-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Very creative and detailed concept for this part of your scene.
I wish yo the very best from now on and plenty of inspiration.
Great work so far...

Versiden
10-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Awesome modelling man, it's really cool!

Borro
10-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Super modeling skills!!! Keep it up, but please post more info :)

oshiroii
10-25-2004, 10:54 PM
OMG :eek: I go away for like a day or so and you make a super progress. Sketches, models OMG. :D Nice modeling man, the Sparrow looks awsome man, makes me wanna model too :)

erilaz
10-26-2004, 12:39 AM
Splendid sparrow. Does it chirp when you lock it?:D

Seriously though, the design is very well thought out.

DimitrisLiatsos
10-26-2004, 02:47 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098755261_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098755261_large.jpg)

Some details here and there remain and of course ..GUNS and then i am moving to the next ...

comments and crits are welcomed.

Velk
10-26-2004, 03:03 AM
Lovely work Dimitris, I was looking at this and sundenly thought how funny it would be for the sparrow to burn enemies on the ground with its rotating jets. Not really apropriate for this contest, but still rather a humorous image.

Seriously now, the only thing that is bothering me about this model at the moment is how weak the wings look. I think that they would be fine in flight, however they don't look up to the strain of taking off in a verticle manner. This is being REALLY picky though. Other than that I love the 'beak', this fighter looks mean.

JamesMK
10-26-2004, 08:37 AM
OMG! The sparrow is a FAN-TASTIC concept and the modeling work is definitely on par too. Have to agree that the wings might need some reinforcement, but that's just a minor glitch. It really looks stunning. My hat off to this vision of yours :applause:

Gattigen
10-26-2004, 08:41 AM
What is there to critique that is friggin' awesome

pBarrelas
10-26-2004, 09:06 AM
Your ship is awesome!! I relly like that model, i can't wait to it textured!!

flyingP
10-26-2004, 09:43 AM
I'm going to risk a minor crit, and it really is minor because I also think that model is cool, just the legs look a wee bit thin/weak to support the larger body of the ship to me.... not that it'd really show up in the larger picture though.

Virtuoso
10-26-2004, 09:45 AM
Yes Mr.Dimi........Looking beautiful.Clean lines,nice flow,nice detailing.All done with great execution.One great looking sparrow..............Thumbs up.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Reinier
10-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Damn that looking good!

Hmm i'm imagining the Sparrow really hoppin' around like a little birdy... h0ph0p :D

superlayer
10-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Very cool sparrow fighter.
Great job.

madshooter
10-26-2004, 10:50 AM
No crits, Man your sparrow model is awesome, looks really cool:thumbsup:

terraarc
10-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Very great progress, Lord Bubble neighbour!:bounce: The sparrow model looks really ggrrrrreeeeaaat! The Bridge tower concept is awsome too!!! May I suggest for the "Don't know yet" section? The below hole could drug some water from the underpassing river while the top around thingies could pure that water back to the river....I think that it would look very impressive! Just an opinion there :)

Waiting for more updates!:wip:

Peter C.
10-26-2004, 11:02 AM
That's one mean looking ship. Very clean modelling and excellent design. *subscribed*

EmpY
10-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Wow!! That's a great design!!!
I think inner wings shoud be thicker and more "complicated" where connected
to the body/fuselage.
Maybe a couple of shields covering the legs, here and there, to make those look a bit thicker, too.
Just my thinking :-), don't kill me...

How many pilots inside?

:buttrock:

evanfotis
10-26-2004, 12:17 PM
Great concept!
I see you don't even sleep on the day before your Nameday- So happy Nameday from me.
As for the "Sparrow" my $.2 is that its "beak/mouth" is a bit too agressively open for a sparrow..
Maybe something tapered a bit..
For 2day I can only offer :applause: :applause: :thumbsup:

Squibbit
10-26-2004, 12:24 PM
yea! grreat ship and battlemap ! me like ! ..altho ship look much like chicken . .still very
cool !

element5
10-26-2004, 12:24 PM
looks great.....the legs would look cool placed on each side of the body between the body and those huge engines which would bring it closer to the ground and freeing up the place where the legs are now for some drop doors for the payload.....just a thought :thumbsup:

gpepper
10-26-2004, 12:39 PM
A walking Spaceship ! That's funny ! But when you see it it really rocks !

Sky_one
10-26-2004, 12:48 PM
simply -WOW!

serotonien
10-26-2004, 01:02 PM
but for me the triangle back wing somehow breaking a little bit with the organic body of the bird

maybe rounding them somehow a little?
especially the "head and face" i fell very good

liquidminduk
10-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Its all looking excellent, looking forward to evrything coming together,

Love the Sparrow concept, interesting idea.

Great scetches, Keep it up!!!

Cheers

Liquid

Saschi0815
10-26-2004, 01:20 PM
Boaah, f....... great,mate!:thumbsup: A warship like a bird - thats really a fantastic idea.

For this u should get an extra price!!!

mv
10-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Woah, great one, that ship :thumbsup: It's awesome how you have progressed throughout the challenges. I'm digging that design. Same comment as empy though : those legs might need some shielding, the style of the legs looks a bit different from the style of the rest of the ship. Keep it up!

LucianoBerutti
10-26-2004, 03:22 PM
You are very fast! amazing work, I like of the ship like a bird! really good!

DanielWalsh
10-26-2004, 03:36 PM
Wow!!! nice work dimitri. Your model of the sparrow is truly awesome, Could do with a little more detail however. But I'm guessing that'll come when you get around to texturing it.

As for the bridge Towers, again: nice concept. hope ithe model turns out as good as the Sparrow.

I'd love to be able to give you some constructive criticism, but I can't fault any of your newest work...

Keep it up, and good luck, again. Although I've got a feeling you're not going to need it

percydaman
10-26-2004, 04:11 PM
great images man. I do have ONE crit though. The segmented section before the tail section, I think looks out of place. Looks buggish instead of sparrowish. I think I would have gone with a since piece and gave it some detailing. just my opinion though, it looks great overall.

DimitrisLiatsos
10-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Thank u friends for all the comments and crits and your good words. All of u :bounce:
Bare in mind that this is an air fighter...no battleship...someone else carries them in atmosphere :twisted:

@ FlyingP, Empy, m@ , JamesMK,element5 ...tail maybe needed to be wider ..
i don't know...but then again i think it's a minor thing to change right now..
About the legs...heheh u are right ..i was trying to give the bumpy and thin look of a real bird ..but that isn't very believable...so i fixed them and made the lower part wider and with some shielding and some machine guns... I think mostly i will show Sparrow on air and in the background some of them. :wip:

@ Reinier ...hahahaha...that 's the first thought for animation that came in mind too...hahahahaah :scream:

@ terraarc ..thanks friend..although i have already something in mind ... :twisted:

@ evanfotis ..thanks...the mouth i wanted to look agressive and scary...it has guns in the mouth as u will see in next update ..any minute...

@ serotonien, liquidminduk, monkeyboy1982 ..thank u guys..as for the thinks u are mentioning i 'll see what i can do...a lot more and more important have still to be made too...

@ Saschi0815, luciano berutti, gpepper , Sky_one, Squibbit :bounce: Thanks guys....

Updating in a while...i have to make soon the Carrier ship who carries the Sparrows and another vehicle.. :banghead:

P.S : I came to realize last night that i need to make MANY models...argghhh..this is not challenge but many together... :banghead:

madshooter
10-26-2004, 05:34 PM
Hey Dimi, I can't wait to see the carrier ship model.:bounce:

DimitrisLiatsos
10-26-2004, 05:54 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098809654_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098809654_large.jpg)

I think i can go to the next model ..arrghh..

JamesMK
10-26-2004, 05:56 PM
I think i can go to the next model ..arrghh..
Yep... once one starts saying 'arrgghh' a lot, it usually means it's done. Er... onwards to the next! er....

DimitrisLiatsos
10-26-2004, 05:57 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098809861_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098809861_large.jpg)

..and the last one

Forgot to mention that this is a two man vessel...

painkiller
10-26-2004, 05:59 PM
hey !

great work ! like alot the figther .... very inspire.
keep up! :applause:

DimitrisLiatsos
10-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Yep... once one starts saying 'arrgghh' a lot, it usually means it's done. Er... onwards to the next! er....

....hahahahahahahaha.....i love man...uhahahah.....ehhh in a manhood friendly way of course...lol :scream: :bounce:

JamesMK
10-26-2004, 06:03 PM
....hahahahahahahaha.....i love man...uhahahah.....ehhh in a manhood friendly way of course...lol :scream: :bounce:
:D Of course! So, did you watch the game last night? Yeah, great game, great game.... boohuaarrrgh!

("trains, planes and automobiles" with Steve Martin and John Candy)

linda
10-26-2004, 06:06 PM
I can just say stunning work Dimitris.

greentek
10-26-2004, 06:18 PM
Amazing design and modelling.. very predator look.. real warrior.. just i think the tail (except fins) is disproportionaly narrow for such monster.. more massive should look better in my opinion.. anyway great work..
cheers and good luck Dimitris!

DimitrisLiatsos
10-26-2004, 08:14 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098818082_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/3794/3794_1098818082_large.jpg)

The walls of Kaheldar are mainly defended by ...a dozen of these canons (not finished..just started...argghh)

comments and crits are welcomed

oshiroii
10-26-2004, 08:22 PM
And on to the next one. You sure arn't wasting time DimitrisLiatsos :wip:
Really nice progress, lots of fun following this thread :D

adr
10-26-2004, 08:23 PM
great work , the sparrow is great hehe . Now the details in the legs and feets are superb.

Really nice concept man . Keep in that way

Cheers:thumbsup:

JamesMK
10-26-2004, 08:26 PM
...and a big cannon next of course :rolleyes:

Damn you're efficient, Dimitris!... a f-ing modeling machine :applause:

funkymunkey90
10-26-2004, 10:40 PM
ummm....well i'm speachless and impressed....i'll be back to check in for more updates....this is great stuff

Borro
10-26-2004, 10:58 PM
Super cool modeling! Details look great. You must teach me some time.... teach us all :)

Xtronik
10-26-2004, 11:05 PM
I m watching your progress and u still suprising me big guy!

Keep on Rocking ang Hronia Polla :)

Chris

wartorn
10-26-2004, 11:32 PM
thats amazing.... Great work man. How do u say FREAK and INSANE in greek? Cause in Arabic it's Majnoon (insane!!) Its work like this that gets you wanting to start. But then u close the window after like 10 minutes of staring, and u notice how many game icons you have on your desktop, and......

EvilBlah
10-26-2004, 11:54 PM
simply awesome! I love the design specially for the sparrow fighters!! this is gonna be one crazy piece when its all finished up! I have my eye on this one!

-bair

Doublecrash
10-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Amazing work so far!

The fighting sparrow is just crazy fantastic.

Cool, cool work!

Stefano

PhantomHarlock
10-27-2004, 12:53 AM
Great concept, i like a lot the outerworld desing in all, very logical (if machines will fly, will fly like birds):thumbsup:

ssjgogetta
10-27-2004, 03:53 AM
What modelling technique u using?

HieSpike
10-27-2004, 03:56 AM
slow down man...I feel like I'm already loosing!! But really, love the chicken plane...I mean Falcon...doh! What was it again? Either way, VERY COOL

rattlesnake
10-27-2004, 04:34 AM
Dam Dimi calm down!,,,:scream::D
i was forgetting how good you are ..but u make clear youre one of the best mate!
the sparrow is phenomenal...wooo! this challenge seems to be made for u man!

jddog
10-27-2004, 07:47 AM
For 2 day I'm not looking on the web... the waht I see. Dimiti is an amazing and wonderful modelling models ! wow, I'm impressed !

jdd

terraarc
10-27-2004, 07:59 AM
Keep 'em coming Lord Bubble! Waiting for more cannon!

You really are an ispiration! I hope I'll find some time to start modelling!:hmm:

Feeeeeed us with mooorrrrrrre :twisted:

rdj
10-27-2004, 08:55 AM
:bounce: yea this is gonna be goooood, love the sparrow fighter model!! very original and just looks great!

DimitrisLiatsos
10-27-2004, 09:59 AM
@ JamesMK ...stop it..u are making me blash.....Thanks man...that means that the squirrels can stop hitting me now? :scream:

@ oshirii, adr, Borro,wartorn ...thanks friends for the support

@ Xtronik Hey ....Chris ...thanks u man! :bounce:

@ EvilBlah, Doublecrash, Phantom HarloK ...thanks friends i am glad u like it :)

@ Linda thank u ....your opinion is really meaning a lot ....i am waiting your work come to the point of lighting and texturing...so we can all cry :thumbsup:

@ jjdog ... thanks man....hey u are changing avatar every 2 days? or am i confusing stuff here? lol

@ terraarc ... :bounce: OLE!

@ rattlesnake ... thanks my mexican friend...u are the second who is making me blush today :)

@ ssjgogetta ... Modeling technique...u won't lough ok?.... Maya Nurbs and polygon modeling for space crafts and chraracters(if i''ll have the time to have some people here and there)....
ZBrush scuplting for modeling Terrain of Battle and for bumping and other texturing.
Finally Softimage XSI Polygon modeling is used (SubD afterwards) for making the Bridge and the Towers that hold the bridge and also the Defence Canon of Kaheldar are XSI polygon .
I am using a lot of XSI here just to learn the app in a real project and not just fooling around..

After all modeling is finished i will gather everything in Maya and do texturing(ZBrush there too) and lighting...and final RENDER....
That's it...hope i helped in explaining the proccess.

Cya. ...going to play some Bummble Bobble now !:)