PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: jonny duddle

duddlebug
10-18-2004, 12:40 PM
jonny duddle has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

flyingP
10-18-2004, 01:29 PM
well good luck Jonny, I have actually entered the 3D section this time, figure it's a good chance to learn something :wip:

Squibbit
10-18-2004, 01:48 PM
hey jonny ! can't wait to see what you come up with for this contest !

Good Luck !

duddlebug
10-18-2004, 02:07 PM
woohoo!! replies already!! thanks squibbit and flyingp!!

i'm struggling a bit on this one... spaceships aren't my strongpoint. But i've got a few ideas of interiors with characters and lovely view of exteriors... maybe get something posted tomorrow...??

AirbORn
10-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Looking forward to your participation. :) You had a great piece of work in the last challenge.

duddlebug
10-18-2004, 04:36 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1098113791_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1098113791_large.jpg)

So here's a first idea!!

There's this kid... and he wants to be 'king of space'... so lots of bad things happen... there's all this fighting and explosions and stuff... and then just before his ninth birthday he defeats the final remnants of resistance... and he's King of Space. So here he is... in his court... accepting the final surrender with the smoking planet and remnants of a mighty space battle in the background. And he's only eight years, three hundred and forty four days, twelve hours and thirty-eight minutes old.

His mummy's very proud.

but the other kids think he's a swot.

sorted...?

flyingP
10-18-2004, 05:02 PM
:D :applause:

and hey slow down there :D

hdri
10-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Nice to see you again in a CGTalk Challenge.
Good luck!!

MrFreeman
10-18-2004, 08:51 PM
:) :bounce: Ideas already...wow...hope the results are as good as the last

Good luck and can't wait to see what you come up with :applause: :)

paulwdavidson
10-18-2004, 09:05 PM
Wotcha, mate!

And so it starts.................................

duddlebug
10-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Thanks for looking in already... all this interest from a bunch of award winners!!? Fab!!

One of the most enjoyable parts of the last challenge was the banter... and a lot of the work y'all produced was an inspiration. Nothing like a competition to keep up the pressure for drawings and ideas!!

I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to a subject i've not really touched on before... it's gonna be a laugh...

Thanks again!!

sketchfiend
10-19-2004, 01:15 AM
Good to see youve join in this great new challenge, i look forward to following your work buddy, and i wish you all the best. Goodluck:thumbsup:

duddlebug
10-19-2004, 10:02 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1098176551_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1098176551_large.jpg)

So here he is... the future 'King of Space'..?

I like the idea of this little kid, with an attitude like Napoleon, who's conquered galaxies and won't stop until he's officially 'the King of Space'!!

This image isn't as epic as the final image in my head (which will be along the lines of my earlier posting but BIGGER) but i'm just developing the idea in my head.

I did this, and another sketch, on the train this morning and kept racking my brain because the kid reminded me of someone... couldn't think who... then i scanned it... and looked again... and thought maybe he's a bit 'Max' from 'Where the Wild Things Are'. I haven't read the book for ages and ages but i think it's the dark hair and the crown..?

He'll look less 'MAx' when i get more into costume (i was looking through my renaissance books last night but the grandeur mustn't have sunk in yet)and think of a more ornate 'King of Space' type crown...

Another train sketch coming soon!!

flyingP
10-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Haha I love it when you go for train rides :thumbsup:

edit: and yes he does have a bit of Max somehow, still I think you captured Napoleon pretty well too, at least that was my first impression

duddlebug
10-19-2004, 10:36 AM
thanks flyingP...

Like i said... i reckon he'll look less Max with a different crown (doesn't he get a crown from the Wild Things?).

I'll post the other picture when i've scanned it... laters...

Tranchefeux
10-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Hello, I like the last I waits to see more....

flyingP
10-19-2004, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=duddlebug(doesn't he get a crown from the Wild Things?).[/QUOTE]

been a while since I read it (30 or so years :argh: ) but I believe yes

duddlebug
10-19-2004, 11:18 AM
i reckon he needs a very different crown then....

flyingP
10-19-2004, 11:45 AM
Laurel wreath perhaps if you're going with the Napoleon look ?

duddlebug
10-19-2004, 11:48 AM
hmmmm... he becomes more of an 'emporer of space' with a laurel wreath... i really like the title 'King of Space'.

I'm gonna work on that crown!! Although it's gonna be a small detail in a BIG picture!! Hopefully there'll be a whole lot of epic mythic massiveness (tongue twister?) behind him!!

duddlebug
10-19-2004, 12:09 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1098184153_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1098184153_large.jpg)

okay... still not particularly 'grand' but it's says somewhere that story matters. ANd he's got that crown. Which will change. Honest.

This is the other sketch from the train this morning. The King of Space and some of his advisors. And a pet.

I'm gonna do some grander sketches now with the king of space in context... some rough layouts for the actual image.

Hopefully post something else towards the end of my lunch hour!!

Speaky
10-19-2004, 02:01 PM
You're able to put so much character and emotional depth into these pics, I love 'em. They all feel like they have a lot of story to tell, keep it up. :thumbsup:

duddlebug
10-19-2004, 02:43 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1098193421_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1098193421_large.jpg)

Here's another rough layout of the whole image... I want to start working on the grand scale whilst still trying to keep the human story element.

Our little friend, the King of Space, is raised up on his throne accepting the surrender of yet another brave leader who stood in the way of intergalactic conquest...

While they watch, the now defenceless planet in the background is about to be destroyed... or invaded... or shrunk by his shrink-o-ray... or something...

And all before supper.

Marvellous.

ardenrey
10-19-2004, 02:46 PM
Nice to see you work again! :bounce: New story?! About the King of space in this time.

Nice sketches! Good luck!:thumbsup:

duddlebug
10-19-2004, 02:46 PM
erm...?

not entirely sure why that last image was blown to more than double its actual size...?

ho hum....

any ideas?

eirenicon
10-19-2004, 04:08 PM
This is a fantastic idea... maybe the surrendering leader should also be a kid. Maybe the kid who used to beat up the King of Space in pre-school, which set him on his way to galactic domination. Great concept work, I particularily like the second last one, the scepter is very cool.

The image is blown up because it is automatically made as wide as the forum page.

duddlebug
10-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks Speaky!! I probably got a bit carried away with the story on my last challenge and lost sight of the final image a bit. I wanna build the story up around the image this time. So it's all there... in the image...

Thanks arden-ray!! Good to see you back too... i'll pop by your thread later!!

Thanks TimothyD!! And thanks for the tip on re-sizing... i never realised...

I was thinking about involving other kids... the surrendering leader in the first diddy rough was supposed to be a girl princess-type.

i really like the bully idea though!!

flyingP
10-19-2004, 04:38 PM
like the last one, and I agree it'd be cool to see more kids in there :)

dgpilot
10-19-2004, 06:58 PM
I like your latest concept, good luck

Kirt
10-19-2004, 10:05 PM
That last sketch looks spectacular. I think you're on to something good with this. Only suggestion I have at this point is that the red planet really draws your attention away from the main focus of the picture. Easy to fix with a little de-saturation & it is still real early in the process. Just thought I'd point out what I noticed first.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Keem
10-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Hey , Great work , i love ut comic style its really amazing , and i c that if u add more Weird Alien Characters would help u alot to emphasize the fact its a space opera, beside the background ofcource. good luck !

duddlebug
10-20-2004, 07:26 AM
FlyingP: Cheers matey!! I'm definitely thinking about more kids... but i want plenty of 'adults' to keep the contrast and the 'oddness' of a kid leader. he surrendering leader could well be a kid though... with real hefty, defeated imperial bodyguards!!

dgpilot: Thanks!! Keep looking... it'll get better... promise!!

Kirt: I kinda wanted the planet to contrast with the interior colour but cast some lights across the people and creatures inside. Lighting is one of my big weaknesses so i'm hoping to improve with this challenge... that's the big goal. I'm tempted to move the planet more central. The composition will be all very central then but it might add to the grandeur...? I may desaturate a little or make it more of an earthy orange, but it will be important in the image. But the King of Space should be the main focus.

Keem: Definitely more alien creatures on the way!!! I want the interior to have plenty of different creatures and races in fancy costumes to give it that grand operatic feeling...

flyingP
10-20-2004, 07:58 AM
with real hefty, defeated imperial bodyguards!!

Oh yes :thumbsup: got to have those :D

sketchfiend
10-20-2004, 08:02 AM
How about you insert the little kings mommy into the picture, she could perhaps be bending him over her knee giving him a spanking for being a naughty little conquerer.

Kinda like the life of brian "Hes is not! the messiah, hes a very! naughty boy.."

Still love your style Duddlebug, its good to see you back at it again, keep the pics coming its looking great.:thumbsup:

duddlebug
10-20-2004, 08:09 AM
haha... kid's mummy's a good idea!!

I've also been thinking along the lines of a rotund robot wet nurse!! A little boy needs his milk if he's going to conquer the universe!!

sketchfiend
10-20-2004, 08:26 AM
haha... kid's mummy's a good idea!!

I've also been thinking along the lines of a rotund robot wet nurse!! A little boy needs his milk if he's going to conquer the universe!!
Definately throw something along those lines into the composition and see if it works, its still early and there should be a good deal of time to play. Robotic wet nurse, maid, cook whatever it takes to make little cranky pants happy right? :twisted: :thumbsup:

cameronfielding
10-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Jonny Jonny Jonny !

Love the last colour sketch mate. the circular composition is interesting too. Youve got a good way of approaching these themes with a unique subject matter. I like the background characters too. make sure you see it all through.

AWESOME ! :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: ( lol )

duddlebug
10-20-2004, 02:54 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1098280452_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1098280452_large.jpg)

okay okay... it's nothing to do with my final image... but it is the 'King of Space' on his first day at school.

It's background.

It's history.

It's legend.

:)

erakesh
10-20-2004, 02:59 PM
:)) :)) Thats funny and gr8. Like the concept that u r flowing around. Cool art too. What more could we see next? :P

PreatORiAn
10-20-2004, 03:01 PM
haha that's great!
That guy with the one-eyey and cap is exactly like me btw :|

Alice
10-20-2004, 03:07 PM
There is nothing like a mad megalomaniac! :D
Love the style and humor!

Vahn
10-20-2004, 03:14 PM
N1! Very nice Concept. Now im motivated enough to enter the contest myself. TY :D :D

duddlebug
10-20-2004, 06:32 PM
Cameron: Hey!! Great to hear from you... hope Montreal is all you wanted it to be... keep on looking in!! Your input is most appreciated, dude!! :buttrock:

Erakesh: G;ad you liked it. I was on the train to work, and a bit stuck on developing the main composition without reference so i roughed out the strip as a laugh really. Gotta get some reference together and get stuck into the main composition next.... although there'll be lots of aliens and stuff to concept so i'll hope to keep you interested!!

PreatORian: HaHa!! I work in games so i've met that kid, but grown up, a million times!!

Alice: Cheers...and good word... that's what he is for sure!!

Vahn: Thanks!! Everyone should enter... makes it more fun...

hdri
10-20-2004, 07:31 PM
I agree with Kirt: the second to the last sketch is really interesting in composition, and maybe colours could be swapped, even I think the red planet in the background works great. The compo suggests a really nice set, and the idea is good...
good start, Duddlebug!

Luter
10-20-2004, 07:46 PM
I don't want to repeat something that someone says but ..please could you slow down there !!! :D I haven't a beginning of start of an idea and you're already with great-fine-nice-so funny ideas....please, slow down..:scream:
BTW, nice concepts.

ardenrey
10-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Ha!!:D I like you concept!!!

I wont to see more pages!:bounce: Much more!:bounce:

Virtuoso
10-21-2004, 03:25 AM
I think I had better reserve a seat in this thread.....Things are looking cool................bring on the space King Jonny................I am Liking this.................:arteest:

Slav
10-21-2004, 04:11 AM
hi ... great comic. wondering what your future images are going to look like.. :)

Smash.rs
10-21-2004, 04:47 AM
Man! Your sketches are so cool!

Good luck!

Rkhon
10-21-2004, 07:06 AM
Hi! Great idea. I really like where you're going with the last concept with the red planet in the background. The comic strip prologue was damned amusing, think most of us can relate to the "wanna make computer games, dude" student.

flyingP
10-21-2004, 08:18 AM
Whahahahahaha I've just seen the prologue, CLASSIC!, that's just made my day :applause: :applause:

duddlebug
10-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Hdri: Thanks!! The 'blue' sketch is definitely the one i'm going with but, as you'll know from my machineflesh entry, i tend to get carried away with the story and do lots of other sketches!!

Goli: I'm sure i'll slow down... i've got tons of other stuff on at the moment. I have been dying for the new challenge so i had a little burst of activity as soon as it was announced!! Glad you like the stuff so far!!

ArdenRey: I'm sure i'll be doing a few more strips over the next few months... it's an easy option when i'm on the train and haven't got any reference or other work to look at!!

Virtuoso: Keep on watching!! Hope you like what i post!!

Slav: i'm wondering too!!? :shrug:

Smash.rs: Cheers!!

Rkhon: I'm gonna keep working up that 'big' image... hopefully there'll be tons to look at and it'll be 'grand', 'spaced' and 'operatic' all at the same time!!

FlyingP: Great!! Glad you liked it... it made me laugh doing it which is always a good sign!! I wouldn't mind doing a longer version with the King of Space babbling on for loads of panels... maybe later... I've also got an idea for the class 'build a robot' homework assignment...

eupee
10-21-2004, 10:52 AM
good luck man, you did excellent in the last compertition, no doubt will be just as good this time round. i like the cartoony feel so far. im looking to do a funny image myself this time.. Look foward to seeing the progress

NinjaA55N
10-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Really nice to see u in this challenge! This will be some great thread to follow. Will be a lot of fun and nice illustrations :D

Good luck!

newcenturydsn
10-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Nice touch with the child!!
why do have to be a grown up to rule a universe...really??
can't wait to see this idea come to life!!
Definetly gonna subscribe.

www.essencedesignworks.com (http://www.essencedesignworks.com)
a site by a good friend of mine we're collaborating on, if i can ever finish anything for him to post up, check out his stuff though, it's where legends come from!!

Good luck

pand-aren
10-21-2004, 05:34 PM
yeah man ur concept's are awesome great story :thumbsup:

GL for u

duddlebug
10-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Ho hum... i've not managed to draw anything today... busy at work and updated my website a bit!! I did manage to search for some reference material on Napoleon and Napoleonic costume... it'll hopefully come in handy!?

Thanks again for the replies...

eupee: Thanks!! I really enjoyedthe machineflesh competition... but that was just a warm up!! This one's gonna be better!! Good luck with your funny imkage... i'll drop by...

NinjaASSN: Thanks for the vote of confidence!! Hopefully you won't be disappointed...

NewCenturydsn: Keep on looking... i'm hoping to do a good one this time... and maybe the universe would be a better place if it was run by kids!!? Apart from this little ba*tard, that is... :)

Pand-aren: thanks!!

Sorry there was nothing new today... i'll post something tomorrow... promise...

hom
10-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Looking forward to how this one turns out jonny.

I like the direction your going with the rough layout colour version. It gives you good scope for some nice lighting and composition.

- John

duddlebug
10-21-2004, 09:32 PM
woohoo!!

A reply from mr.Lomax!!

Glad you like the composition... :)

hom
10-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Lol.

That was quick I only just posted that.

Get offline and keep drawing :)

Would like to see some more colour versions now please :)

- John

duddlebug
10-21-2004, 09:38 PM
hmmm... i'm gonna go to bed in a minute... cream crackered.

gonna get up early and do some sketches though... and do some work in my lunch hour tomorrow... know what i mean? :)

EyeS-L
10-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Very fun character! :) I'm looking forward to see more of your work!

element5
10-23-2004, 01:39 AM
great stuff and fun :thumbsup:

JARhead
10-23-2004, 02:49 AM
In the words of a grate man ..
"Freak'n Sweet!" - Peter Griffin.

duddlebug
10-23-2004, 12:18 PM
JARhead, element5 and EyeS-L: Thanks a lot!! I'll hopefully get some more stuff posted on monday morning... i've not had time to do anything in the last few days and haven't got a working scanner at home. So anything i do this weekend will have to wait until monday morning...

Unless i do something straight off digital... hmmmm...

Luffie
10-23-2004, 03:10 PM
wow.... this looks really unique... it is actually centered on a character... keep it up man!

CuTnPaste
10-25-2004, 09:07 AM
S U P E R B!

go on...need more!

:argh:

duddlebug
10-25-2004, 01:34 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1098707641_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1098707641_large.jpg)

Especially for Sketchfiend... Here's the King of Space getting his daily feed. Nothing like a nannybot for a bit of comfort and solace... "whatvere it takes to keep little cranky pants happy", eh?

This is a bit of a diversion and a quick doodle. I'm still looking at a grand scene of surrender with a planetary backdrop as in the earlier colour concept. I haven't had chance to do anything!! Very frustrating!!?

Edric: Thanks... i can't resist making up stories and charcters for these challenges... loads more of that to come, although i'll try and lay into my final composition this week...

CuTnPaste: Thanks!! Glad you like it... keep lookin'...

duddlebug
10-25-2004, 01:46 PM
i know this was a quick sketch'n'all... but that cloak is just so wrong...

better stuff to come soon... promise...

dgpilot
10-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Again, your sketches are awesome, keep them coming! :thumbsup:

newcenturydsn
10-25-2004, 02:19 PM
HA!! Nanny bot....that's tight!

element5
10-25-2004, 02:37 PM
:applause: fun stuff...hehe

flyingP
10-25-2004, 02:41 PM
Whahaha :cool:

:applause:

ardenrey
10-25-2004, 03:00 PM
http://www.dragon-fly.biz/pics/king_of_space_funs.jpg:)

duddlebug
10-25-2004, 03:05 PM
arden rey!! That's ace!! Love it!! Cheers!! Woohoo!! um... er....

No really... that's a great picture (love the style) and i'm really flattered!!

hopefully i'll keep you interested!!

I didn't have chance to do any work at the weekend. My girlfriend's parents made a surprise visit which scuppered my plans for a few hours at my drawing board. I'm gonn a do my best to devote a few hours this week to the King of Space!!

Thanks again... and thanks to the rest of y'all.

unitstudio
10-25-2004, 03:27 PM
duddlebug, I've been watching the progress of this and I have to say I love your take on the space opera theme. Humour is difficult to convey in an image at the best of times, but you're doing it beautifully.

keep it up and best of luck!
-g

duddlebug
10-25-2004, 04:30 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1098718230_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1098718230_large.jpg)

This one's just a bit of fun... doodled on scrap paper whilst sat at my desk... nothing at all to do with my current plans for a final image... but it's on topic and i liked it, so here it is!!

unit studio: Thanks!! i'm not sure how i'll incorporate humour into the final image yet. It might just be in the faces, poses and actions of the background characters. I've found a cool image of Napoleon with a sceptre, laurel wreath and the full regalia so i'm gonna do some sketches based on that painting.

They'll hopefully come in the next few days!!

ardenrey
10-25-2004, 04:49 PM
HaH!:D Nice monsters!

viag
10-25-2004, 06:02 PM
hey nice to see you duddlebug , always a pleasure to see your design !

R-K
10-25-2004, 06:07 PM
haha, those are great. I doubt they'll appear in final work though ;D

duddlebug
10-26-2004, 06:58 AM
nah... they are reeeeally unlikely to appear in the final design!! They're just chaff!! I've done various other doodles that won't appear in my final image but i just liked these two!! I'll try and make sure i don't get too carried away with other images.... :)

I'm still working towards a final composition along the lines of the colour image on page 2... i'll get some more layouts posted before friday. Then i will have to do a bunch of character designs and architectural layouts to fill out the court of the King of Space!!

eupee
10-26-2004, 07:44 AM
i like your comic touch still.. its a nice change. i was trying to add some comic relief into mine, but wel see... keep it up man

pand-aren
10-27-2004, 06:06 AM
haha those two catapults rock man. W8 some more stuff :bounce:

srry bad eng

jonahhawk
10-27-2004, 08:39 AM
What a pleasant change of pace. It didn't say anything about a serious pivotal moment in space! Thanks for the laughs. You are a great humorist and cartoonist. If all you do is keep the comic strip going I will be so happy!

flyingP
10-27-2004, 09:02 AM
This one's just a bit of fun... doodled on scrap paper whilst sat at my desk...

and I thought you only doodled while on the train. Fun stuff Jonny, please keep them coming :bounce:

newcenturydsn
10-27-2004, 02:15 PM
now that's what i call star wars!!

that's great duddlebug, It's hard to find a spot for humor in this particular challenge, but you pull it off nicely.:thumbsup:
Your Style is superb!!

NinjaA55N
10-27-2004, 09:17 PM
Great stuff! Made me laugh again :D I suggest that u put funny faces in a "serious" painting. Somehow like in MonkeyIsland games, where all that pirates try to be serious and dangerous looking, but with their faces and characteristics, they r just sooooo funny. Just a suggestion.

CuTnPaste
10-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Yuo're kicking some ass....

:buttrock:

anti-shock
10-27-2004, 10:47 PM
Love the king of space! It's coming along nicely and I really like you style of humor. :)

Virtuoso
10-27-2004, 11:07 PM
nanny-Bot is really fun.Cool idea and that young spoiled King would have one Hell of a nanny bot would'nt he? It makes sense.Nice idea,and fun.Keep at it.:arteest:

-=Darth Alek'SidE=-
10-28-2004, 02:18 PM
eeeeeh i want moooore!!!
i'm very interested in your thread Duddle

keep it up man!

Squibbit
10-28-2004, 02:27 PM
yess mmore sketchészz , pleezz

Olve
10-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Fun thread. :)
Gotta keep an eye on this.

duddlebug
11-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all the comments!!

I feel like i've been really slack!! I've not posted for ages... relatively... loads going on in my personal life and at work which make it tricky to find the time to get stuck into the challenge. I think i've posted on other threads more recently than i have here!! And... cor lummy... there's some droolworthy work getting posted. Could be a tough challenge....

And i've been driving to work, so i don't get my hour on the train...

But i did get the train yesterday!! SO... i did a couple of sketches... which i'll post in a minute!!

duddlebug
11-02-2004, 12:43 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1099399433_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1099399433_large.jpg)

I'm kinda revisiting what i've already done because i've had a week or so without touching my challenge.

I need to start thinking about the components of the final image and the King of Space is central to the composition... so i'm gonna get him sorted first...

duddlebug
11-02-2004, 12:48 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1099399680_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1099399680_large.jpg)

very very rough... but i might as well show the whole process!!

Just thinking about the throne and the King's costume... I found a great portrait of Napoleon which has inspired me and given me some ideas for the King of Space... hmmmm... gotta think of a name...

ANd i followed up one of FlyingP's suggestions and given him a laurel wreath instead of a crown.

Might change it back.

Might not.

:)

Squibbit
11-02-2004, 12:57 PM
maybe u desig laurel/crown combo ?

yea n put it like it's tilted n fallen slightly over his eyes ?

maybe it's a bit too big ? like it would've been measured wrong ..
u could put the designer there pondering differences between
centimeters and inches.. :)

NinjaA55N
11-02-2004, 02:02 PM
He he... the "great" Napolenon :) The pic is working quite well, but i suggest u to put some really thin and tall people n the back, so it would be a nice contrast to the little king, who is round and small. What do u plan to put in the background?

duddlebug
11-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Squibbit: A laurel/crown combo could be another option...hmmmm....?? And i thought about 'tilted' too... so it looks way too big for him. Like he pinched it from the former King of Space...?

NinjaAssN: The background is going to be along the lines of the colour image on page 2 of my thread... so this is just very rough ideas stuff... thinking about the King of Space himself. The final iamge will hopefully have a wide array of different characters and creatures of all different shapes and sizes!!

here's a small version of that image again...

http://duddlebug.co.uk/cgtalk_images/kingofspaceSmall.jpg

The King of Space will be high up on his throne and brightly (spot) lit... and surrounded by all his court... And there'll be a king or queen or princess surrendering with their guards. And the background will show the battered remains of a huge defeated ship... and a planet...

And maybe a portrait painter... painting the scene for prosperity...?

And that's it!! (??)

NinjaA55N
11-02-2004, 04:00 PM
thumbs up! :) cant wait the deadline to see it finished.. hehehe

duddlebug
11-02-2004, 05:33 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1099416812_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1099416812_large.jpg)

So here's a neater version... still quite a quick drawing... i just can't find the time so far in this challenge!!

I'm not delighted with this sketch, but it has started to ask some questions of me... i've based it quite closely on the Napoleon portrait i found. It's a useful starting point. I'm going to make the throne very tall and mostly shrouded by his cape and gown.

I'll try and do a couple of rough colour studies over the next few days to work up the idea. Working in colour should make it easier to block out shapes and colours to get the proportions i'm looking for... especially of the secondary characters... and the (hopefully) 'epic' background...

I'm putting up almost everything i find time to do... which is why there's been three pretty rough images uploaded today. I figure it's worth showing everything to show the whole process from start to finish...

and... NinjaASSN... i can't wait to see it finished either...

flyingP
11-02-2004, 06:39 PM
He has a wreath now ???

dougbot
11-02-2004, 08:21 PM
This is one of my favorite ideas on here. I'm hoping that you like the idea enough that you could maybe turn it into a childrens book. Maybe submit a story treatment to Pixar :) I'd just love to see this go past the Space Opera contest. It's really great.

giza-di
11-02-2004, 08:54 PM
This is one of my favorite ideas on here. I'm hoping that you like the idea enough that you could maybe turn it into a childrens book. Maybe submit a story treatment to Pixar :) I'd just love to see this go past the Space Opera contest. It's really great.
i totally agree w that, i like it as much as i liked some other humorous concept for machineflesh3d.you may have trouble w the epic bit of the contest though....i don't know how much this weighs for judgement

Slav
11-02-2004, 09:21 PM
hehe reminds me of ceacar. great work thus far.

KOryH
11-03-2004, 01:29 AM
awsome.

Now get painting!!!

element5
11-03-2004, 03:45 AM
Coolies.....let the painting begin....:thumbsup:

duddlebug
11-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the replies!!

FlyingP: haha... it's and experiment and inspired by the Napoleon portrait... and i did say: "ANd i followed up one of FlyingP's suggestions and given him a laurel wreath instead of a crown."...gonna try a big crown next!!

DougBot: Thanks a lot... i'm planning on doing more on this after the contest. I figure it's a good way of justifying the time to my girlfriend!! I've done some bits and bobs on my Monkey Girl story since i finished the Machineflesh contest... but i've got distracted by the Grand Space Opera now!! Ahhh... Pixar... It'd be a dream to do visual development for Pixar...

Giza-Di: I'm working on the 'grand' aspect of the challenge... it's gonna be tricky... and i doubt it'll look as 'epic' as some of the more realistic entries... but i'll do my best!!

Slav, KOryH, element5: Thanks... i've done another sketch on the train this morning... but the next step is definitely a bit of painting!!

I'll post my new sketch when i get some time to scan it!! Probably lunchtime!!

flyingP
11-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the replies!!

FlyingP: haha... it's and experiment and inspired by the Napoleon portrait... and i did say: "ANd i followed up one of FlyingP's suggestions and given him a laurel wreath instead of a crown."...gonna try a big crown next!!

can't read every post you know :D

although I do now prefer him with a crown to be honest :)

duddlebug
11-03-2004, 10:26 AM
oooooh... there's no pleasing some folk!! :)

he's got a big round, bejewelled crown in the next image... but he's tiny... so you can't really see. I've really gotta think about the scale of the main figures in my final composition... i might add some statues of him to help...

flyingP
11-03-2004, 10:28 AM
oooooh... there's no pleasing some folk!! :)

he's got a big round, bejewelled crown in the next image... but he's tiny... so you can't really see. I've really gotta think about the scale of the main figures in my final composition... i might add some statues of him to help...

yep like the statue idea :thumbsup:

duddlebug
11-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Don't worry, Brian.... they'll be nothing like your statue!!

flyingP
11-03-2004, 01:09 PM
Don't worry, Brian.... they'll be nothing like your statue!!

pity I'm still trying to decide what mine will look like in the end.....and whether or not I give it a sports bra :eek:

duddlebug
11-03-2004, 01:30 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1099488611_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/6/3770/3770_1099488611_large.jpg)

Some more ideas for the final composition... a kid princess (possibly the pretty girl in the class who rejected the King of Space when they played kiss chase) is forced to watch her home planet devastated by the King-of-Space's secret weapon, the Shrink-o-ray!!

The composition would be more central.

And there'd be more variation in characters.

I think i might try and get some colour stuff done now.

About time really.

But not actually possible on the train.

Ho hum.

(sports bra sounds good, brian!! haha!!)

MoonVisionStudio
11-03-2004, 01:43 PM
I love this little character! I still prefer one of your earlier sketches that zoomed in on him. I cant wait to see your final!

paulwdavidson
11-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Hi Jonny,

keep up the cool work (you know I'm a fan)

The last post is the the most successful. It all ties in nicely, and the shrink-o-ray marries it all in compositionaly.

My eye kept dropping off the page at the bottom ....what about more people in the foreground keeping your eye rotating around and in, keeping the focus on your central drama. They could be quite ambiguous out of focus heads and shapes creating an area of negative space around the princess. I think it'll help her stand out also when you paint the rest of the piece. By grouping areas like that, it might help the eye identify places to stop and ponder.

You know me......just a thought.

Cool concept as usual.

Paul

flyingP
11-04-2004, 01:07 PM
I love this little character! I still prefer one of your earlier sketches that zoomed in on him.

I kind of agree with that, you've put so much into developing his character, and he's getting a bit lost in that last composition :hmm:

Tommy Lee
11-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Damn... How could I miss your thread!:blush:

Great concepts so far. Like the last on. Good composition...
I think that the composition draws enough attention to the king, even he is more far away then previous.

Cheerz and good luck:beer:

Tom

newcenturydsn
11-06-2004, 12:45 AM
This is great watching the river of ideas flow, I think you're right, it's time for some colour, stay awake at home to work on the challenge, and sleep on the train, that's what i used to do. Just don't sleep past your stop, or you'll probably be late for work.

:beer:

jeroentje
11-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Excellent. I'll be following this :)

NinjaA55N
11-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Great last sketch! I would really like to see it in a more clean way, but ur cartoon tecnique is awesome so it looks cool already. I would just suggest u something about composition... The great round thing in the back is too much to the left side, coz u already have a king on a great chair there... so the whole picture is leaning on the left, making it not stable. Dont do a central composition, just put the big round thing in the back to the right and i thing all will come out very nice.
And those characters around r aweeeeesooooome! Best ever! hahaha :D

Blackarts
11-08-2004, 07:38 PM
yup, I'm loving the last sketch as well. The shrink ray makes a nice circular shape to tie the compostion together...tighten this bad boy up.

newcenturydsn
12-10-2004, 06:27 AM
Jonny, Where you at? Come back!!

duddlebug
12-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Um... What can i say...?

I've had a crazy month... so here's my excuses for not finishing my homework...

I've changed jobs after four and a half years at Warthog. (The company was bought by Gizmondo, a new handheld console, and handheld isn't really my thing). I had to knock up a portfolio for interview which interrupted my King of Space flow. I'm really excited about my new job... i'm concepting characters for a really exciting BIG license... and i need to really commit to that over the next few months...

It also means i'm driving a round trip of 60 miles every day, instead of getting the train with my mountain bike and sketchbook for an hour each way. And the King of Space doodles and my Machineflesh entry were pretty much concepted on the train!!

And my girlfriend is pregnant!! Woohoo!! It's fantastic news but kinda unexpected... So there's a few changes on the home front... and we live in a scruffy old house that i've been meaning to 'do up' for the last two years which has got that little bit more urgent. Like we'll need a proper bathroom, for instance!!! So i've been doing a fair bit of DIY each weekend...

And my scanner's buggered!! I've been scanning a lot of my stuff at the Warthog office and mailing it home... which isn't really possible at my new place...

And i've got another mini-project which i could well be commited to which will run up to mid january...

And i'm away in Wales for Xmas and then having 5 days in Normandy (France) over New Year...

And i've not even thought about my christmas shopping!! :)

SO (phew)... i'm so far behind already with everything that's been going on over the last month or two, and i don't think there's any way i can get my image done before xmas!!! And the deadline's so early in January i'm gonna find it impossibly to commit any real time to my final image!!

Sorry for anyone who was interested in my thread.

BUT, I'm pretty keen on the 'King of Space' idea. I've actually bought www.kingofspace.co.uk (http://www.kingofspace.co.uk/) and i'm planning on working on it as an ongoing comic strip (the link just heads to my homepage at the moment so i'll stick in a 'holding' page, but it'll be a little while before i get some proper pages up and running, end of January, perhaps?). I'll be looking at developing a regular web comic. But that's gonna be a project for 2005... along with www.muckykid.com (http://www.muckykid.com/) (another comic strip) and www.badbadpress.com (http://www.badbadpress.com/) (for my collective comic gumpf!!) and monkey girl from the Machineflesh challenge... oh... and there's the mini-duddle in the spring of course!!!?

Sorry for wimping out... maybe next time... but i will try and put the other scans up on this thread when i've bought my new scanner!! And i'll post any new King of Space stuff i do next year!! Maybe if i get a spare few hours i'll work up a colour 'rough'... but i ain't making any promises with everything that's going on in December.

And sorry for the essay!! :D

Good luck to the rest of ya!!

duddlebug
12-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Blimey... that was a bit tooooo long... what a lot of waffle!!

NinjaA55N
12-11-2004, 11:14 AM
Im sorry to hear that u r not gonna finish ur promissing start, but im glad that so many good things happended to u.. so good luck with everything! Im happy for u :thumbsup:

flyingP
12-11-2004, 12:37 PM
well I would say it was sad news, but sounds like things are getting interesting for otherwise Jonny, congratulations by the way. :D :thumbsup:

newcenturydsn
12-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Here, Here Jonny, congratulations on the future Duddle, I'll definetly be watching for anything new, and i'm now an avid goer of your webpage. Good to hear about the new job sounds really exciting!

No hard feelings about the space opera, when it rain's it pours dude, and there's just those things that you have to take of when they happen...like the plumbing in the new bathroom...good luck with that hey! haha

See ya on the flipside Jonny
:beer: :beer: :beer:
3 cheers for Jonny everybody!

Squibbit
12-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Congrats , o daddy to be!! Best of luck with kingofspace and other projects and

see you in the next challenge ,ok ?

:beer: :beer: :beer:

pand-aren
12-12-2004, 07:30 PM
gooooOOOd luck man. Cya NEXT TIME :wip:

SideAche
12-12-2004, 08:59 PM
Best of luck John

Tommy Lee
12-12-2004, 10:10 PM
First: Congrats to ya offspring!!!:thumbsup:

Cya at the next challenge then, duddyboy!

Cheerz and respect

Tommy Lee

duddlebug
12-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Hey y'all!! Thanks for the replies!!

I'd have loved to get 'King of Space' in this challenge... but i just won't have the time. I am definitely going to carry on developing this idea!!! And i'll post some stuff on the 2D forum when i'm happy with it!!

I wanna wish anyone still working on the challenge all the best of luck!! And i'll take y'all on for the next challenge!!

sketchfiend
12-13-2004, 04:27 AM
Duds, I almost thought that you had disappeared off the face of the planet, i was really hoping youd be back. Ive always loved your kooky take on things. Im sorry to hear that youve pulled out but thats completely understandable your powers are needed elsewhere. Goodluck with your work mate, stay in touch and i will definately look for your work in the future. Have a good one.:thumbsup: :beer:

bonestudio
12-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Congrats for everything !!! 2005 seems to be a great great year for you !!! Enjoy it :)

Ilikesoup
01-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Hey, Duddlebug! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster in this thread. Sorry to see you out but you've got more important things on your plate. Glad to hear that the King of Space will live on -- it's such a great concept and I absolutely love the work you've done here. Congratulations on your new job and the news of your own little Prince or Princess of Space. :)

paulwdavidson
01-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Congratulations, mate (on everything)

I'll send an e-mail to you soon.

Take care

Paul

duddlebug
03-01-2005, 01:44 PM
okey dokey... got some time free now.

oh darn... is it over?

Squibbit
03-01-2005, 08:05 PM
haha! but hey, only two weeks to the next one , eh ? :thumbsup:

duddlebug
03-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Hahaha... i thought i'd be typing into the ether!! But you're still there!!

Another challenge in two weeks?? Is it??? Is it reeeeally? When? Where? What?

NinjaA55N
03-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Sorry for messing ur thread.. but yea... is it? Squibbit what do u know!?! :bounce:

Squibbit
03-02-2005, 06:11 AM
I think they be sayin it for a long time that they got their stuff
way more organized than before and that the next challenge
would be announced mid-march.

I will check if this still holds truth....

edit: ok , here it is :

http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=1995385&postcount=8

:thumbsup:

Fahrija
03-02-2005, 01:30 PM
I think they be sayin it for a long time that they got their stuff
way more organized than before and that the next challenge
would be announced mid-march.

I will check if this still holds truth....

edit: ok , here it is :

http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=1995385&postcount=8

ANOTHER EDIT

Hi all,

Really sorry about this but we're going to have to postpone the release of the next Challenge by a week. Although we thought that we could launch on 14 March, we're having immense trouble getting it all organised due to Game Developers Conference this week - this has prevented us from getting prizes secured from the sponsors (as many of them are exhibiting at GDC!) and we are also sponsoring GDC, which has taken up an immense amount of time.

We are postponing the Challenge start/announcement to 21 March. Hopefully this will buy us enough time to get all the sponsors signed on.

Once again, I apologise for having to delay. We were a bit too enthusiastic on this one, and failed to realize the impact that GDC would have on getting everything organised.

Best,

Leonard

Falcorr
03-02-2005, 02:26 PM
ah:sad: ... Phew only one week delay. Well gotta work on my practise picture until then.

Seya all in the next challenge :)

Squibbit
03-02-2005, 03:48 PM
yea i gotta say i haven't got a problem with the extra week either

see u all on 21st :D

duddlebug
03-02-2005, 05:41 PM
ooooooooh... i think i'm gonna have to join in again!!

see y'all on the 21st!!

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.