PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question UVīs

nobody551
10-18-2004, 10:47 AM
I have modelled a boxlike character without subd. applied texture projection... freeze it.

Now when I subdivide it by hitting "+" the texture coordinates get distorted.
Is there a solution to preserve uvīs while subd or while moving points?

Thanks in advance

Shinova
10-18-2004, 11:20 AM
I read somewhere that you're not supposed to freeze the thing after doing textures before doing subds. Basically, try not freezing it.

Ablefish
10-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Whu? There's no problem with adjusting geoapprox level (subdividing with the +/- keys) after freezing your object and/or texture projection. In fact, most of the time that'll be exactly what you're doing - increasing the subdivision level only at render time.

I expect your problems are probably coming from the 'box-like'ness of your character. How have you laid out your uvs?

zen
10-18-2004, 08:40 PM
i suspect you are using mirrored uv's. Subd on a object with mirrored uv's subdivides the common edge, not considering it a uv border, and causes a uv shift/distort along that edge.

ill try and find a post i put up about that if this is the case

nobody551
10-19-2004, 08:15 AM
Yes you are right the character is boxlike and I started with cubic mapping, but edited the UVīs on every single polygon to unfold them.
anyway I am quite comfortable with the texture editor, but is there a button to flatten the UVīs automatically for simple objects like cubes?

Oh, I have found the freeze command in the TS PPG which updates the texture editor if you have modified the projection - nice function.

THX

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.