PDA

View Full Version : Grand Space Opera Challenge FAQ / Questions / Answers

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Leonard
10-18-2004, 11:46 AM
For questions/answers, please post here...

1. Please read the instructions before posting here.

2. Please help us to answer questions. If you see a question already answered, please refer the person to that answer so that we don't keep repeating ourselves.

Thanks,

Leonard

Technical Support
For all registration errors, or technical errors while using the Challenge site, please PM Robert Mibus, our technical officer - username: mibus.

Frequently Asked Questions (last update: 23/10)

- Concepts and Ideas -

Q: Can I do ? or What [i]exactly do you want?
A: Whatever is iconic and directly related to the Grand Space Opera genre - which is already very broad. Please be imaginative and surprise us. We will not be giving anyone specifics. It needs to be iconic and epic - imagine that the image is to be used on a book novel cover.

Refer to the following:
- Space Opera - Definition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera) (Wikipedia)
- Inspiration (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/inspiration.php) (CGNetworks)

Ask yourself - how is my concept related to the space opera theme?

Q: If we send our concepts early, what guarantee do we have that other people could not "steal" our idea?
A: Your guarantee is that there are 115,000 other members on CGTalk, many whom respect originality as it is in their best interest as artists. If someone has the gall to 'steal' your concept, and it is made known to the public, that person will get such a bad rap from the community that he/she will not want to come back. This has happened several times on CGTalk already with plagiarism made known to the public. However, in the history of the Challenge (all 15 of them), no-one has ever 'stolen' another person's concept. Also bear in mind that Phase 1 judging is public voting.

Q: What happens if I change concept half way and want to do something totally different?
A: No problem, but you have to submit all the necessary milestones for that new concept, to qualify.

Q: Can the initial sketch be a 3D sketch as opposed to pencil and paper? Can't draw worth a sh*t I'm afraid.
A: Yes, this is fine; the sketch is supposed to show what you have in mind and where you are headed. Drawing is preferred.

Q: I am currently working on another space opera-theme project (commercial/non-commercial/whatever). Can I make my image for this contest based on the other project?
A: Be original and imaginative please. Create a unique image.

- Challenge-Specific -

Q: How early do I have to start submitting milestones?
A: As early as possible. Although there is no due date earlier than the final closing date, part of the final judging vote puts 25% weight on Community Interaction, which means that people who 'hold back' their work in progress till the last minute can be penalized.

Q: Can we work in teams? What about pairs?
A: No, this is not a team challenge.

Q: I'm using a new email but the challenge keeps sending stuff to my old one. How do I fix that?
A: You go into CGTalk's UserCP (User Control Panel) and change your email address there.

Q: What if I am a winner and I want a different prize? E.g. What if I win the Grand Prize but I want the Runner Up prize instead?
A: You can contact the other winner with the prize that you want, and ask if they want to do an exchange. What you guys do with your prizes is up to you, and we're not going to be involved in it.

Q: How do I actually enter the 3D competition?
A: Go to the challenge site here (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/) and then to Enter The Challenge. Upload your pictures through the challenge site submission ("Submit Your Entry").

Q: Do I tag every concept sketch uploaded as a milestone, or just THE final concept sketch.
A: Everything is a milestone until you do the final image.

Q: How i can get out of this challenge?
A: Just stop submitting.

Q: Can I have multiple entries?
A: No. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter both the 2D and 3D challenges as long as the two are vastly different in concept.

Q: Can I upload my WIP images to my own server? Is that counted?
A: No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. The purpose of the image hosting on the Challenge site is to give everyone the equal opportunity to post their work-in-progress, and have it hosted. At the conclusion of the Challenge, you will undoubtedly remove any Work-In-Progress images from your personal website and generate broken links all over CGTalk - so please use the Challenge upload facility.

- Technical -

Q: Are random or parametric terrain and foliage/plant generation software (Bryce/Vue/Terragen) allowed?
A: No. This has been a legacy of the last 15 Challenges. The whole purpose of the Challenge is to learn. We challenge artists with a concept/theme and rules/boundaries by which people have to work with. What's the challenge in pressing a few buttons and getting an automatic scene or terrain out of that? There's no challenge!

We regard the Challenge like a triathlon, where athletes are given a goal and a route to go through to get to the goal. You don't see athletes jumping in cars to beat their competitors, and drug cheats almost certainly face banning, prosecution and public humiliation. Similarly, we give boundaries to the Challenge, and we challenge artists to better themselves through this.

Q: Can I use Poser to make different people (because they will not be the main purpose of the scene)?
A: No prefabs, if your characters are tiny it won't take you much effort to model some lowpoly humans.

Q: Can I use a trial version of a software?
A: Yes. We don't care. The final image must not have watermarks on it.

Q: The guidelines in the instructions says that the resolution for the final image should be at least 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait). Why do you need such a high resolution for?
A: We want to train people to create artwork for print. Therefore, things such as detailed textures and meshes become important in the creation of your artwork. The final image needs to be prepared for print, and we want everyone to work towards producing work that is print quality by habit.

Q: What resolution do you want the final image to be exactly? What about if we make the image a different aspect ratio and orientation?
A: Your final image aspect ratio and orientation will dictate your final resolution. We want images that will print at 300dpi on a 22 x 30cm page (whatever orientation). Please do your research and work this out yourselves. Your final image will need to be rendered at enough resolution to print and hold up detail.

Q: Because of hardware limitations, is it ok to render a part and use it as a background, or render in "layers" and composite it all togueder later?
A: All post trickery is allowed and encouraged.

Q: Any problems if I do it with a student license of Maya?
A: If it is watermarked then yes. Otherwise, no.

Q: Is it ok to use vray for rendering?
A: Why wouldn't it be? (yes)

Q: While I know its ok to use 2D textures in this 3D project....is it going to be ok to use a 2D element as a back drop? Like a background....like a matte painting?
A: It's OK as long as it's not a stock plate.

Q: Is it allowed to use web downloaded textures?
A: Yes, but they will have to be modified to suit your image. If stock textures are recognised there may be a penalty by the community and the judges, consciously or unconsciously.

TX-Snakebyte
10-18-2004, 12:50 PM
Ok, same question another topic (sry for the first one...)

Can i choose a well known galaxy (like Star Wars) or
must i invent a whole new galaxy from scratch?

PreatORiAn
10-18-2004, 01:02 PM
I think it's smarter to take a 'new' galaxy (should give you more of a chance on the prizes :])

leigh
10-18-2004, 01:10 PM
New galaxy! Entries must have original concepts.

Kylebrn
10-18-2004, 01:14 PM
One question please: Can there be Bot Machine like beings (I assume so) as well as Humonoids? Thanks.Good luck to all.

leigh
10-18-2004, 01:15 PM
It can be anything as long as it fits the theme.

JPGargoyle
10-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Ok. This is interesting, but before I decide to enter, I need to know exaclywaht is expected and, since English is not my native language, sometimes I have difficulty understanding everithing I read, specially some concept, so I would like to ask if someone would be so kind that could explain in simple words what "Grand Space Opera" means please.
So that you see that i'm not joking, the first time I read the topic and what to do, I thought you wanted us to create something like an alien Opera stage of epic proportions or something like that :shrug:

So, after I read it 2 or 3 times, I realized it is nothing of that, but couldn't get the concept behind what is wanted.

Thank you.

Best regards

Gluteus Maximus
10-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Hey, I have a question,

I want to get a iconic moment from our history, then transplant it into a space scene. Is this an ok thing to do?

PreatORiAn
10-18-2004, 01:22 PM
maximus it sounds pretty okay as long as the theme is correct
don't get me wrong tho, I'm not a mod ;)
mods: flame at will (if I'm wrong, that is)

Gluteus Maximus
10-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Yeh, gonna change it to huge ass spaceships!!! yay!

PreatORiAn
10-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Yeh, gonna change it to huge ass spaceships!!! yay!
can't go wrong with a couple of those, yeah !

StephanD
10-18-2004, 01:41 PM
JPGargoyle:

Star Wars is categorized in the Space Operas because it assembles many elements of a traditionnal play(Japan Jidai and Celtic Myths in this case) in a futuristic setting.

JPGargoyle
10-18-2004, 01:45 PM
JPGargoyle:

Star Wars is categorized in the Space Operas because it assembles many elements of a traditionnal play(Japan Jidai and Celtic Myths in this case) in a futuristic setting.

Hmmm, thank you StephanD.

That helps a little, but is not enough for me; I still can't judge if the ideas I have are on or off topic.
Thanks anyway.

Best regards.

CLONEOPS
10-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Just wanted to say the sub-banner at the start of the challenge entries page is a great
idea...the idea could really add some pazzaz to some of the other thread start sections too...it would kind of indivdualize them a bit.

Archetype
10-18-2004, 01:48 PM
i have a small problem leonard

the contest entry has been sent to an older email wich i dont have acces to anymore
can this be solved ?
with regards,
jeroen

StephanD
10-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Hmmm, thank you StephanD.

That helps a little, but is not enough for me; I still can't judge if the ideas I have are on or off topic.
Thanks anyway.

Best regards.
Ask a mod in private so you don't give it away to us rest.

JPGargoyle
10-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Ask a mod in private so you don't give it away to us rest.
Hey that's a great idea! Havn't thought of that. Thank you :thumbsup:

Best regards.

eirenicon
10-18-2004, 03:48 PM
Ok. This is interesting, but before I decide to enter, I need to know exaclywaht is expected and, since English is not my native language, sometimes I have difficulty understanding everithing I read, specially some concept, so I would like to ask if someone would be so kind that could explain in simple words what "Grand Space Opera" means please.
A good definition of space opera is provided by the Wikipedia, check it out here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera). Star Trek, Dune, Foundation, Known Space, they are all variants of the space opera, and of course you have Star Wars, the grand master of them all. It's basically a science fiction story that deals with huge themes and massive settings (like an entire galaxy).

I want to get a iconic moment from our history, then transplant it into a space scene. Is this an ok thing to do?
I would guess this is fine, because it's been done before - Asimov's Foundation series, for example, is based in part on the rise and fall of the Roman Empire.

JPGargoyle
10-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks A LOT timothyD (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=2034), that was of great help.

Best regards.

thesuit
10-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Any problems if I do it with a student license of Maya?

linda
10-18-2004, 06:50 PM
One question is it ok to use vray for rendering.

AdamT
10-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Can the initial sketch be a 3D sketch as opposed to pencil and paper? Can't draw worth a sh*t I'm afraid.

ShaneW
10-18-2004, 08:02 PM
How do I sign up?

Thanks,
Shane

kex
10-18-2004, 08:04 PM
i guesse any renderer or modeler is fine as long as your not using the pre created fluff. tbh if i choose to do this in wings 3d and blender i would think itd be fine. the only case were you wouldnt stand a chance of winning is if you used a watermarked aplication.

a student edition though does stand diffrentley though because you could be seen as using the student license to make money. i guesse its all down to the license you signed when you bought the software.

sketchs should defintley be 2d as it allows you and your audience to understand and create very vivid first impressions in a short period of time. your audience gets to also see whats going on inside your head in contrast; to a rendered image that has taken longer and most likely lost the first idea the artist wanted.

zuki1
10-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Hi. Just a few questions:

1: Is it (not that it is likely to happen) allowed to have multiple entries in the same category? (i.e. two or three different 2D artworks)

2: Any rules on post workup? I saw in the machineflesh thread, that for a 3D entry, using post effects was encouraged, but I assume this is with regard to computer generated 3D video post effects. What I'm basically asking is, is it allowed to do 2D post effects on a 3D entry (Photoshopping etc.)?

3: The other way around: Is it allowed to incoporate pre-rendered elements into a 2D entry? (Buildings, vehicles etc.) or must a 2D entry be done entirely "by hand"?

I'm not considering using stock photos/models and stuff "borrowed" from other people in any entry- the reason I ask, is just that I often use this type of "cross media". I would assume, that as long as the use of this technique is only used for subtle workup (like a bit of smoke added in photoshop on a 3D render) it would be acceptable?

Are there any specific rules, or does one just use ones own judgement?

regards

Projectkmo
10-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Whilk I know its ok to use 2d textures in this 3d project....is it going to be ok to use a 2d element as a back drop? IE like a background....like a mate painting

JTD
10-18-2004, 09:56 PM
I did the same thing as Voutlooz. I entered the contest (excitedly) and then realized that they had my old email address. I just got a new email address but the contest entry confirmation was sent to my old one. Can this be corrected or do I have to re-enter?

BiGMaCHiNe
10-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Noones drawings/images are showing up to mein this forum!
i dun get it. ive never had this prob. with cgtalk!

anyone have any ideas?

pddaugusto
10-18-2004, 10:36 PM
is allowed two persons work in the same project? with their names displayed in the title?

cg:unlimited
10-18-2004, 10:45 PM
Hi, i've got a question.

Is is allowed to show The same scene in several views, to show more details?

arturro
10-18-2004, 10:57 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and would like to take part in this cool competition. But I need to know if can use a trial version of the software, downloaded from the producer's site(e.g. max 6 or 7)? If commercial licenses are required, I will only watch this challenge:shrug:

Nevertheless, I'm happy to enter this forum!:buttrock:

5parts
10-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Lets pretend i was to do something straight out of star wars, would the image be more like a legendary still from the movie (father/son showdown) or something like a starwars poster, where all sorts of different charatcters and scnes are just blended together and whatnot
(like this : http://www.suarakl.com/WP/Movies/Star%20Wars.jpg )

thnx

revolucioncg
10-18-2004, 11:48 PM
is allowed to use web donwloaded textures?

kraal
10-19-2004, 12:53 AM
I have a couple of questions.......
first about prize does grand prize when ALL prizes unser it because right now runner up looks better than grandprize to me......

second if you are only alwoed on entry what happens is you suddenly change direction in your concept are you allowed to make a change to a different concept??????

yes I am in this one all the way......

kraal
10-19-2004, 12:55 AM
just thought i would add this link to give people a diiferent type of look at an 'iconic' image from a movie

http://ubb.empireonline.co.uk/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=787780&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=4&vc=1

Leonard
10-19-2004, 12:57 AM
I have a couple of questions.......
first about prize does grand prize when ALL prizes unser it because right now runner up looks better than grandprize to me......

second if you are only alwoed on entry what happens is you suddenly change direction in your concept are you allowed to make a change to a different concept??????

yes I am in this one all the way......
Added answers to FAQ in first post. Thx.

Terrextre
10-19-2004, 01:01 AM
I can use any program?

I presume that not matter, but i want be sure.

what i can use in the process the postproduction? I can use ej: flares, first Plano, ect.

PreatORiAn
10-19-2004, 01:16 AM
not to bug you or anything, but could you put the link to the challenge website in the beginpost aswell. me and the stupid people keep losing it (and typing a whole new link is so hard :()

Wiro
10-19-2004, 01:27 AM
Any problems if I do it with a student license of Maya?
If it is watermarked then yes; the entry may be included in Expose or other publications and a watermark would ruin it. Otherwise it should be ok unless winning prizes is considered commercial use by Alias.

One question is it ok to use vray for rendering.
Yes of course! Any 3d software, 3rd party plugins and renderers are valid as long as nothing uses canned or preset material.

Can the initial sketch be a 3D sketch as opposed to pencil and paper? Can't draw worth a sh*t I'm afraid.

Yes, this is fine; the sketch is supposed to show what you have in mind and where you are headed.

Whilk I know its ok to use 2d textures in this 3d project....is it going to be ok to use a 2d element as a back drop? IE like a background....like a mate painting
It's a little borderline but I'd imagine it to be ok as long as it's not some stock plate.

oones drawings/images are showing up to mein this forum!
i dun get it. ive never had this prob. with cgtalk!
Can you see the pics here?
entries (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/view_entries.php)
If the problem persists, please post in the support forum or contact Mibus

Lets pretend i was to do something straight out of star wars, would the image be more like a legendary still from the movie (father/son showdown) or something like a starwars poster, where all sorts of different charatcters and scnes are just blended together and whatnot
First of all: no Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar, Buck Rogers... only original worlds. If you just mean the style then a dramatic still is what we're after. Something that shows a snapshot of a civilisation at a grand scale. You mention the father/son showdown; this could be possible if the backdrop was immense enough but please consider that individuals are not the center of this challenge.

is allowed to use web donwloaded textures?
Yes, but they will have to be heavily modified. If stock textures are recognised there'll be a penalty by the community and the judges, consciously or unconsciously.

Wiro

Renderman_XSI
10-19-2004, 03:37 AM
I might enter, but i want to try a different appoarch than most people. the question is, can i use a game engine to render my 3D scene? ;)

JTD
10-19-2004, 04:16 AM
One big "lesson learned" from the last contest is to remind everyone that the deadline is Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). I think this should be included in the FAQs.

Folks that thought they had a couple of hours left to upload their last picture were really surprise to find out that the deadline had past them by last time.

You should figure out what the last available hour is before you miss the deadline. For example, I live in California so my deadline would be January 17 at 4 P.M., instead of midnight! (GMT - 8 hours for Pacific Standard Time).

Better yet, don't wait 'till the last minute!

midazolam
10-19-2004, 04:28 AM
New here - just wondering if I can wait till Dec to enter? Won't have any time till then, but once Dec hits, I have all day every day...

:m

Lunatique
10-19-2004, 04:36 AM
1) Can moderators enter?

2) Wouldn't it be kind of hard to judge with such a broad theme? For example, one entrant did a beautiful epic space city, while another entrant did a beautiful group character portrait of heroes and villains. Both are instant classics of their given subject. How do you choose between the two if it's the ultimate space city vs. the ultimate space heroes? (and the smart artist knows what to do to avoid that problem. :) )

andreas-V
10-19-2004, 04:44 AM
How much postwork is allowed?

Wiro
10-19-2004, 05:32 AM
How much postwork is allowed? Anything goes

Can moderators enter? Yes, but not the admins or jury.

Wouldn't it be kind of hard to judge with such a broad theme? I guess we'll have to see but the main focus is "epic"...like I said above, individual characters are possible but there has to be a sense of grand scale to it (backdrop of huge spaceships, city, etc) so essentially the characters aren't the centerpiece but the overall scale is.

just wondering if I can wait till Dec to enter Will have to get back to you about that. The point of the challenge is to show progression throughout the duration, not just in the end. I can understand your reasoning but other people might use the same excuse to hold back their designs for fear of leeching.

the deadline is Greenwich Mean Time
Thanks, I'll get Leo to update the FAQ. The main challenge site already states this though:
4. Submit your final entry by 17 January 2005 (GMT). Do not rush - get your entry in early.

can i use a game engine to render my 3D scene? Sure, but consider that you're up against people who use all highpoly tools available to them. You might be limiting yourself.

Wiro

midazolam
10-19-2004, 05:37 AM
Thanks Wiro, I can understand that.

Perhaps if I submit sketches for concepts, but don't make any progress until Dec?

:m

maxrelics
10-19-2004, 06:20 AM
i can't get the server to accept my submissions.

wtf, mates?

Leonard
10-19-2004, 08:12 AM
i can't get the server to accept my submissions.

wtf, mates?
What's the error message. Can't help you if you don't tell us the specifics.

L.

Arsyn
10-19-2004, 09:00 AM
What type of things are you to stay away from in your scene?

Do you have to post a sketch before you start modeling?

Resolution for entries??

arturro
10-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Please, write if trial versions of 3d programs are allowed, because I don't know if I can submit:shrug:

leigh
10-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Arsyn, yes you MUST post a concept sketch. It is a compulsory milestone.
Regarding resolution, are you referring to 3D renders or 2D entries?

As for what shouldn't be in there... well, apart from what has been mentioned already in the guidelines, just make sure that your entry goes with the theme. There are not banned items as such, but images that do not have anything to do with the space opera theme will not be considered at the judging stage.

leigh
10-19-2004, 10:53 AM
arturro, it doesn't matter if you're using a trial version.

Arsyn
10-19-2004, 11:20 AM
resolution for 3d images.. I guess it would be up to you..

thanks Leigh.

Leonard
10-19-2004, 11:24 AM
resolution for 3d images.. I guess it would be up to you..
Resolution is answered in the Challenge instructions.

sonicstrawbery
10-19-2004, 11:35 AM
One little question :

I have the idea of making a crowd in my image, but for some people we're only gonna see their back . Can i use poser to make different people (because they will not be the main purpose of the scene ) or should i model one complete character, duplicate it and make some tweaks (texture colors, pose...) to make them different ??

Cipher

marcomaxbonaria
10-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Sorry. I'm new to this and I'm a little slow. How do I actually enter the 3d competition, so that my work is checked

MaX :banghead:

JulesB
10-19-2004, 11:52 AM
With milestones, do I tag every concept sketch uploaded as a milestone, or just THE final concept sketch. I want to mess around with my idea, upload sketches on the idea, but only the final one will be the 'milestone' concept sketch.

Possible lame question but just checking (may be thinking too hard)!

Thanks.

Julian.

jddog
10-19-2004, 12:02 PM
New galaxy! Entries must have original concepts.

Ouch... this means that we can't reproduce Planet Earth...
sorry looks a stupid question, but my ambient is generated from PE and the moon...

jdd

DimitrisLiatsos
10-19-2004, 12:19 PM
With the danger to sound a little stupid :rolleyes: ....i would like to ask a simple question.

In instructions u say Size of fin image 2657 pixes and/or 3636 high...i am sorry but this means that i can do a landscape portrait 3500 wide and 2500 high...? or not? ...yes i know stupid but please help me get out of this thought :bounce:

thanks

jddog
10-19-2004, 12:29 PM
In instructions u say Size of fin image 2657 pixes and/or 3636 high...i am sorry but this means that i can do a landscape portrait 3500 wide and 2500 high...? or not?

hee btw I didn' pay attention to this detail too :blush:
probably 2 stupid sounds

jdd

JulesB
10-19-2004, 12:39 PM
With the danger to sound a little stupid :rolleyes: ....i would like to ask a simple question.

In instructions u say Size of fin image 2657 pixes and/or 3636 high...i am sorry but this means that i can do a landscape portrait 3500 wide and 2500 high...? or not? ...yes i know stupid but please help me get out of this thought :bounce:

thanks
Yes.....it's very precise for a 'guideline'. I'm going to say, for landscape, 2657 wide, then, err, whatever you want for height?? I'd like to work at 2657 x 1130 (2.35:1), and presumably I can, as there is no guideline for proportions listed.

Julian.

Tommy5547
10-19-2004, 12:48 PM
One little question :

I have the idea of making a crowd in my image, but for some people we're only gonna see their back . Can i use poser to make different people (because they will not be the main purpose of the scene ) or should i model one complete character, duplicate it and make some tweaks (texture colors, pose...) to make them different ??

Cipher

Curious about this as well... But I think it's ok. Anyone knows for sure??

StephanD
10-19-2004, 12:50 PM
I'm no mod or admin but I'm sure this won't be allowed,no matter how zoomed out they are.

Plus,when you think of it,the more zoomed out you are,the less work you'll have to put on them so poser would be an overkill.

austinkyo
10-19-2004, 12:57 PM
hi guys, i am wondering, how should i show my W.I.P? and where?

StephanD
10-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Tommy:

3. Pre-fabricated models are not allowed to be used. These include parametric models generated from Poser or Daz3D

JPGargoyle
10-19-2004, 01:52 PM
One quesion:

because of hardware limitations, is it ok to render a part and use it as a background, or render in "layers" and composite it all togueder later?

I am thinking of including a space fight scene with lots of spaceships, and that poses a problem in hardware capability and render times.

Thank you for you help.

Best regards.

revelaciones
10-19-2004, 03:03 PM
how i can get out of this challenge?

PreatORiAn
10-19-2004, 04:16 PM
is there a way to delete sketches that I've already submitted?

commodore
10-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Can I have multiple entries.

El Toro
10-19-2004, 05:39 PM
A guideline is 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI So assume it can also be 2657 high and 3636 wide...

Wiro
10-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Can i use poser to make different people (because they will not be the main purpose of the scene )
No prefabs, if your characters are tiny it won't take you much effort to model some lowpoly humans.

How do I actually enter the 3d competition Go to the challenge site here (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/) and then to Enter The Challenge
upload your pictures through the challenge site submission ("Submit Your Entry")

do I tag every concept sketch uploaded as a milestone, or just THE final concept sketch. I'll have to check with Leo but I don't think there is any problem uploading all pics through the challenge site and tagging them accordingly, final or not.

Ouch... this means that we can't reproduce Planet Earth... The idea is to show space, expansion and colonisation in a grand scale so keeping it away from earth would be a good idea.

this means that i can do a landscape portrait 3500 wide and 2500 high...? Yes, the guidelines are for the largest possible Expose print (Leo please correct me if I'm wrong); landscape in 3636*X or portrait X*2657 but slightly smaller or larger is fine too.

So assume it can also be 2657 high and 3636 wide...It's already in the FAQ - check the 1st post in this thread.

because of hardware limitations, is it ok to render a part and use it as a background, or render in "layers" and composite it all togueder later? All post trickery is allowed

how i can get out of this challenge? Just stop submitting. If you want your thread removed, please PM Mibus

is there a way to delete sketches that I've already submitted? Not sure about this; again please PM Mibus

Can I have multiple entries. No. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter both the 2D and 3D challenges as long as the two are vastly different in concept.

Wiro

CgGoth
10-19-2004, 07:01 PM
whos looks best so far as in the idea / concept ?

leigh
10-19-2004, 08:10 PM
CgGoth... umm isn't a little early to be naming any "best" entries? I certainly wouldn't try and guess right now...

Oregano
10-19-2004, 10:17 PM
granting this is an "epic" scene, I'm curious if a collage of scenes/characters/ships/planets etc. is allowed? I was interpeting "epic" to read as more of the scope of opera instead of the literal scene.

I'm concerned that if it is limited to a particular scene we're going to end up with a ton of gigantic space battles and very little human/character interest...

Thanks,
~Shane

Leonard
10-19-2004, 10:26 PM
granting this is an "epic" scene, I'm curious if a collage of scenes/characters/ships/planets etc. is allowed? I was interpeting "epic" to read as more of the scope of opera instead of the literal scene.

I'm concerned that if it is limited to a particular scene we're going to end up with a ton of gigantic space battles and very little human/character interest...

Thanks,
~Shane
If you think that human/character interest adds to the scene, then do it. There's no reason why it needs to be one or the other. I'd even lean towards ensuring that there are some characters to give your work sense of scale and human/character interest (like you said).

The easiest is to think of book novel covers. Imagine that your image is going to be on a book cover - thus it needs to be iconic, be it characters amidst a backdrop of galactic conflict, or whatever...

use your creative juices!

E.g. Ralph Mcquarrie's work - note how the characters are still the focus of the scene, but it is put amidst a backdrop and genre that fits the Space Opera theme.

http://leonard.cgcommunity.com/challenge_references/ralph_mcquarrie/10.JPG

http://leonard.cgcommunity.com/challenge_references/ralph_mcquarrie/Empire/09.JPG

http://leonard.cgcommunity.com/challenge_references/ralph_mcquarrie/Empire/17.JPG

Oregano
10-19-2004, 11:00 PM
The easiest is to think of book novel covers. Imagine that your image is going to be on a book cover - thus it needs to be iconic, be it characters amidst a backdrop of galactic conflict, or whatever...
Hi Leonard,

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I was concerned about something that Wiro said when he was answering someone else's question... "...Something that shows a snapshot of a civilisation at a grand scale. You mention the father/son showdown; this could be possible if the backdrop was immense enough but please consider that individuals are not the center of this challenge." So I thought I would ask just to clarify.

Thanks,
~Shane

Wiro
10-20-2004, 01:43 AM
Sorry, I should have been clearer; It's fine to have characters in the piece but as opposed to the earlier challenges where the characters are focus and the backdrops more an afterthought, this time it's vice versa.

For example; in the shuttle bay picture, Darth isn't the focus (he almost disappears against the black of space, but the shuttle stands out brightly.
In the ship's bridge scene, the vanishing point and lines lead your eye towards the back and the whole bridge instead of to Vader.

Wiro

SteveNewport
10-20-2004, 02:09 AM
Out of many of the related material that's been given, a very large part of their other-wordly concepts rely very heavily on the written word. Should we also do as much explaining as we can relating to the concept of our world/universe/existance while posting as well with the final image? As this could explain the past/future/present of this world that is not directly depicted in this scene and would also explain the events happening in the scene.

-OR-

Is the purpose to have the picture completely depict the entirety of the universe... in which case, would it be against the rulse to explain your concept in words?

Basically, would a good explenation behind the work assist in the judgement process?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions, hopefully it's helping more than just those asking!

webshot
10-20-2004, 02:18 AM
I know it missed it somewhere, but how do I enter? I went to post in the 2d challnge thread and it said I do not have sufficient permission.

I think I found it but it gives me an error when i try to submit my screename and pword.

Tarrbot
10-20-2004, 02:32 AM
I think the "a picture is worth 1000 words" concept is what is being asked for. It's been stated to think of this as a "book cover".

You don't put words explaining the cover on the cover, do you? ;)

On another note: I'm strongly considering entering this. However, I'm not too sure I like the prospect of having to enter NOW. Am I reading the guidelines correctly?

My thought is that I would like to work up a proper concept sketch as time permits and upload it in a few weeks.

I look at this as a professional venture with a three month timeline. As a professional, I would never rush out the door with a sketch that may or may not be what is finalized.

Again, am I misreading the guidelines here.

Additionally, my 3D skills are a bit rusty as I haven't really used them in this type of endeavor in a few years. Maybe my lower confidence level is just trying to hide a bit here.

Wiro
10-20-2004, 03:20 AM
Steve Newport:
A written backstory is not neccesary for the challenge, but...

out of personal opinion writing a history is a good idea even if it's only for yourself since it will help guide you through your design decisions and make the setting more believable.

Tarrbot:
it's ok not to submit stuff straight away; I imagine more people will join the challenge at later dates as word spreads so people will start at different times. What's a bit a grey area is when people submit all their milestones within the last weeks. That should be avoided since community interaction is also important.

webshot:
You went to the wrong link (that one's for when you've already registered and submitting the pics)
Go to Enter The Challenge

Wiro

Tarrbot
10-20-2004, 03:51 AM
Thanks, Wiro. I assumed as much but from the posts here it seemed as if I had to do it now.

I still need to design some things first before I even make up my mind to enter. Most of the stuff I have in mind I've had *in mind* for years but not sketched out.

Truth be told, I started on this scenario about 3 years ago but it kind of fell by the wayside. I'd say now is the perfect time for it to be picked up again... regardless of whether I enter or not.

austinkyo
10-20-2004, 05:35 AM
:eek: Arrr......can somebody me help me...i hope leonard will see this post.
- i have accidently entered wrong information for the Grand Space Opera Challenge Entry.
I am from Malaysia actually, but when i check back my entry details, i found that my country is maldives. .. so, what sholud i do? can i change it?

element5
10-20-2004, 06:49 AM
Hiya Leonard,

My question is, I am heavily involved in the Aegis project. The Universe created there is a collaboration but original (Dene of Terror....Founder). I would like to do a piece using original designs for the project that I have developed....IS THIS A PROBLEM?? If so I will go for something more original for me. I do not want to get disqualified :) Any feedback would be appriciated... I shall leave it up to you, my peer's.

Regards Mark

linda
10-20-2004, 06:59 AM
Hi guys i need help as i can understand now wich i did not do before (or maby i am totaly wrong) is that we have to uppload the concept art and rest of modeling on CG server is that so? i have not done that now all my sketches and modeling are uploaded on my own server so if this is not ok what should i do now and where do i have to upload my images.

And what does milestone mean?

Sorry if i am repeating any question but i don΄t think so i read them all.

linda
10-20-2004, 07:05 AM
Hmmm........... searched a little moore and i found the answer, so now what do i have to do with my images that has already been uploaded on my server should a do a double upload in the challenge submition page.

Please help me

And again sorry:sad:

jddog
10-20-2004, 07:30 AM
Hmmm........... searched a little moore and i found the answer, so now what do i have to do with my images that has already been uploaded on my server should a do a double upload in the challenge submition page.

Please help me

And again sorry:sad:

I answered in your thread... You can dele images from your server if you will and up-load all images again via the challenge submit entry... you are not the only one linda ;)

jdd

sciics
10-20-2004, 07:57 AM
q? what about the entire thing toon shaded will that qualify? and does it have to realistic like say its for a live action movie.. or can i use those mythological styles where characters are as tall as planets!!??

El Toro
10-20-2004, 08:48 AM
It's already in the FAQ - check the 1st post in this thread. Oh ok sorry bout that.

pencil-head
10-20-2004, 09:46 AM
Does the topic "Grand Space Opera" include alien planets. For example, If i was going to create an image that was taking place on an alien planet, as opposed to taking place in outer space. Is that the same?

Borro
10-20-2004, 09:49 AM
I have one little question... Can I make a 2D image related in story with my 3D, but with absolutely different look etc. Cuz I have a great idea and it would be great to do it :). Thanks!

Leonard
10-20-2004, 10:23 AM
:eek: Arrr......can somebody me help me...i hope leonard will see this post.
- i have accidently entered wrong information for the Grand Space Opera Challenge Entry.
I am from Malaysia actually, but when i check back my entry details, i found that my country is maldives. .. so, what sholud i do? can i change it?
Please PM Robert Mibus (username "Mibus") who is our technical officer. He'll fix it up for you.

Leonard
10-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Hiya Leonard,

My question is, I am heavily involved in the Aegis project. The Universe created there is a collaboration but original (Dene of Terror....Founder). I would like to do a piece using original designs for the project that I have developed....IS THIS A PROBLEM?? If so I will go for something more original for me. I do not want to get disqualified :) Any feedback would be appriciated... I shall leave it up to you, my peer's.

Regards Mark
Make it original in concept to anything that will be or currently is copyrighted material. I don't know what Aegis is, but if you create artwork for this Challenge which has the potential of being copyrighted material for the Aegis project, that's a problem. For the same reasons why we can't allow people to create artworks based on well-known franchises such as Star Wars, Star Trek.

Bottom line - just make it original, please.

Leonard
10-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Hi guys i need help as i can understand now wich i did not do before (or maby i am totaly wrong) is that we have to uppload the concept art and rest of modeling on CG server is that so? i have not done that now all my sketches and modeling are uploaded on my own server so if this is not ok what should i do now and where do i have to upload my images.

And what does milestone mean?

Sorry if i am repeating any question but i don΄t think so i read them all.
A 'milestone' shows that you've reached a particular point in your project - e.g. concept sketch, modeling, texturing, etc. It breaks down the entire process so that everyone can see your work-in-progress.

You can and should use the CG Challenge upload facilities to host your Work-in-Progress images so that when the Challenge is completed, the images still exist and people will not get broken links.

Leonard
10-20-2004, 10:29 AM
I answered in your thread... You can dele images from your server if you will and up-load all images again via the challenge submit entry... you are not the only one linda ;)

jdd
As mentioned in a previous post - please use the upload facilities for the Challenge for longevity purposes. You guys are going to move on to do other, more exciting things after the Challenge and delete all the images from your web host, which creates broken links everywhere on CGTalk. Hosting images on your server also do not count towards the contest milestones. If its not in our system, it's not counted by our system.

Versiden
10-20-2004, 10:31 AM
For example; in the shuttle bay picture, Darth isn't the focus (he almost disappears against the black of space, but the shuttle stands out brightly.
In the ship's bridge scene, the vanishing point and lines lead your eye towards the back and the whole bridge instead of to Vader.

Wiro
hi there

ok, just to be 100% .. im going to use Star wars as an example..
a scene depicting Luke and Darth Vader in a sabre duel would be wrong because the focus is more on their personal conflict more over the galactic conflict that is happening in the background.

from the brief on the site, you said u didn't want "green humanoid aliens or spacemen with laser blasters" - but we can use them in the scene if it helps to show the conflict or great event?

Are moments like Funerals, or Inaugurations, or Weddings suitable also? (as long as they follow the galactic them)

thx ;p

Leonard
10-20-2004, 10:32 AM
q? what about the entire thing toon shaded will that qualify? and does it have to realistic like say its for a live action movie.. or can i use those mythological styles where characters are as tall as planets!!??
You can do it in whatever style you want. Be aware of how judging takes place (read the judging page on the Challenge site) because anything that is "out of the ordinary" will possibly and probably get chucked out by the public voting and judges.

Leonard
10-20-2004, 10:32 AM
Does the topic "Grand Space Opera" include alien planets. For example, If i was going to create an image that was taking place on an alien planet, as opposed to taking place in outer space. Is that the same?
Yes it does. Use your imagination and surprise us please.

Leonard
10-20-2004, 10:33 AM
I have one little question... Can I make a 2D image related in story with my 3D, but with absolutely different look etc. Cuz I have a great idea and it would be great to do it :). Thanks!
You can do whatever you want as long as the two images are distinct. Use your imagination and surprise us please.

Leonard
10-20-2004, 10:35 AM
hi there

ok, just to be 100% .. im going to use Star wars as an example..
a scene depicting Luke and Darth Vader in a sabre duel would be wrong because the focus is more on their personal conflict more over the galactic conflict that is happening in the background.

from the brief on the site, you said u didn't want "green humanoid aliens or spacemen with laser blasters" - but we can use them in the scene if it helps to show the conflict or great event?

Are moments like Funerals, or Inaugurations, or Weddings suitable also? (as long as they follow the galactic them)

thx ;p
Do whatever you think is iconic and surprise us please.

Be aware of the judging process. Read how the challenge is going to be judged. Then figure out: 1. what the public really wants 2. What the judges will probably vote for.

Think "iconic" and "epic" - what would go on a book cover.

Apart from that, we are not going to tell anyone what to include in their images. It can be as broad, wild and imaginative as the Grand Space Opera genre allows - and that's already very very broad.

Use your imagination and surprise us.

MasterZap
10-20-2004, 10:39 AM
What if I have this GREAT IDEA but not sure if I should actually implement the idea in 2D or 3D?

Can I submit it to both, and abandon the version that is ultimately unworkable?

Ah, academic regardless. I won't be able to make it in either, lacking not only time, but modelling skill or 2D paint experience. I could make a killer pencil sketch tho, or watercolour. Hey... wait... does this thing HAVE to be made on a COMPUTER :)

/Z

Leonard
10-20-2004, 10:41 AM
What if I have this GREAT IDEA but not sure if I should actually implement the idea in 2D or 3D?

Can I submit it to both, and abandon the version that is ultimately unworkable?

/Z
While technically you could, for your own sanity I would advise you to go for one and stick with it all the way. You've got three months to do this Challenge, so think about it first, make a decision and as the Nike slogan says "Just Do It"

Leonard
10-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Guys - please read the 1st post in this thread, any updates and the instructions, before you post on here. There are already numerous double posts and redundant questions.

Added to FAQ:

Q: Can I upload my WIP images to my own server? Is that counted?
A: No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. The purpose of the image hosting on the Challenge site is to give everyone the equal opportunity to post their work-in-progress, and have it hosted. At the conclusion of the Challenge, you will undoubtedly remove any Work-In-Progress images from your personal website and generate broken links all over CGTalk - so please use the Challenge upload facility.

Q: Can I do [insert concept here]?
A: Whatever is iconic and related to the Grand Space Opera genre - which is very very broad. Please be imaginative and surprise us. We will not be giving anyone specifics. It needs to be iconic and epic - imagine that the image is to be used on a book novel cover.

Chug
10-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Hi guys,

It's been a few years already that some friends and I created our own universe, for our Role Playing nights. I was wondering if we could enter the competition separately, providing different scenes, but based on the same universe.

Leonard
10-20-2004, 10:49 AM
Hi guys,

It's been a few years already that some friends and I created our own universe, for our Role Playing nights. I was wondering if we could enter the competition separately, providing different scenes, but based on the same universe.
To be safe, be completely original. What happens if you win and your friends start claiming that it was their idea and giving you grief for it? Don't give any chances, just be original and avoid any problems altogether.

arsa3d
10-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Just wonder if this is ok with criteria:

actually i'm sick of those typical space scenes :banghead:
(well, of course some of those are really master
pice, like some in star wars).
I have an idea to put giant baby (with preety happy face)
on the planet or outerspace, and all of that in the middle
of space battle. Baby actually doesn't understand that that
is a battlefield and, happy cause something is happening :applause:
just smashes one of the battlecruiser, or ship ...

this is NOT "realistic" concept, but i think that it sends really good message, don't u ?

Best regards,
Ivan

MasterZap
10-20-2004, 10:57 AM
While technically you could, for your own sanity I would advise you to go for one and stick with it all the way. You've got three months to do this Challenge, so think about it first, make a decision and as the Nike slogan says "Just Do It"
Well, I preffer to work in hybrid anyway. Is 2D painting with some 3D modelled elements allowed? Or painted-over 3D? 3D rearranged in a paint program to look completely different?

Ah, academic regardless. I won't be able to make it in either, lacking not only time, but modelling skill or 2D paint experience. I could make a killer pencil sketch tho, or watercolour. Hey... wait... does this thing HAVE to be made on a COMPUTER

/Z

fusion_art
10-20-2004, 12:51 PM
since i don't speak english very well , a question is rumbling in my head...

... does there have to be a battle goin' on ... ???

EvilE
10-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Is the use of DEM data as base for a terrain allowed if it gets modified alot afterwards ?

Sven

sonicstrawbery
10-20-2004, 01:44 PM
i guess it's the same question i asked 2 pages before...
and you get the answer on the previous page : "no prefrabricated models" as the mods said

erlik
10-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Is the use of DEM data as base for a terrain allowed if it gets modified alot afterwards ?

i guess it's the same question i asked 2 pages before...
and you get the answer on the previous page : "no prefrabricated models" as the mods said

I can see where you're coming from, but ... really?

First, is DEM a prefrabricated model? I can convert it to TIFF and use it as a heightfield in Cinema (or Rhino or any other program) or as a terrain pic/heightfield in Bryce. So, are all heightfields banned?

Also, somehow I don't think that parts of the Earth are prefabricated models, not like Poser people are.

Second, the guy said "a base for a terrain". So, if he paints on it in Photoshop, blurs, sharpens, makes a mosaic, or does that in the Terrain Editor in Bryce ... how's that different from the downloaded texture rule?

Third, my own question. I intend to use Mojoworld or Bryce to create the landscape with the models incorporated into the scene or composited later in Photoshop. Any objections to landscape generators?

arLutiK
10-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Hi

I'd like to know if I can use a maping of earth I got from nasa http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/ (http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/)

Thx

leigh
10-20-2004, 04:29 PM
I have an idea to put giant baby (with preety happy face)
on the planet or outerspace, and all of that in the middle
of space battle. Baby actually doesn't understand that that
is a battlefield and, happy cause something is happening
just smashes one of the battlecruiser, or ship ...

Personally I don't think that fits into the Space Opera theme at all. This isn't a challenge about making statements, it's a challenge about creating drama, adventure, excitement and intrigue using huge structures and scenes of action, etc. Besides, the baby thing was done in 2001: A Space Odyssee.

Well, I preffer to work in hybrid anyway. Is 2D painting with some 3D modelled elements allowed? Or painted-over 3D? 3D rearranged in a paint program to look completely different?

Please decide which one to go for and stick with it... I'll need Leonard to confirm this, but personally I'd say that if you're going the 2D route then you should paint it from scratch.

EvilE - please make everything on your own, model-wise.

arlutik - for texture purposes, I guess you can use stuff like that.

WeaBeast
10-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Man, I just read what was posted so far - you guys definately opened a can of worms! Judging will be interesting.

-Fusion Art, I think you should consider not only the battle; think about before or after the battle.

arLutiK
10-20-2004, 05:15 PM
THX Leigh

Love your new avatar

I'm going for a space galactic anti-gravity soccer stadium does that suit the theme

MasterZap
10-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Please decide which one to go for and stick with it... I'll need Leonard to confirm this, but personally I'd say that if you're going the 2D route then you should paint it from scratch
Then I call it a 3D entry and proclaim all my paint job to be "post work", since you already said "anytihing goes" in post. :)

/Z

doctorkoan
10-20-2004, 07:21 PM
I'm in the 2d challenge, but I use a lot of modelling either for visualization or actual starting points for digital painting. I also use photography (and traditional media) in my works. Basically I work a lot like Rick Berry or Dave McKean - hopefully with a different look. Am I still in the 2d realm here? Where is the line?

WebScriptz
10-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Hello there

I'd just like to know if there's a deadline for entering the challlenge.
Also any suggestions on the latest date one should enter by :wise:

Thanks
--JC

Gamoron
10-20-2004, 09:48 PM
I feel before I continue with the concept stage I think I'd better know what exactly is necessary to have in the final composition.

Do we need one of the fololowing? Space ship or ships and or Epic Scale buildings? Does it have to take place in outerspace?

Can it take place on a planet with none of the above?

Sorry this thread is getting large and I was too lazy to read the eniter thing.

SirLuthor
10-20-2004, 09:48 PM
Hiya all.. I was wondering something.. Is it allowed to use something like, say, TerraGen to make a landscape to use as a background for one's 3D still? Or do you have to model the landscape yourself in 3D package of choice? Thanks!

Luter
10-20-2004, 10:05 PM
I suppose line is thin about 3D in 2D or 2D on 3D (hum)...But for my part this particular theme suggest me to use-mix 2D & 3D & 2D & 3D etc..Today most of so impressive pictures we can see in movies, games or print are a mix of these diifferents tools, so why fixing such limitations. But I understand the rules of the contest, there is a 3D section and a 2D section...where could be the limit between both...I don't know...Maybe the limit is to make a percentage of what is 3D and what is not....hum..I really don't know. What I'm sure is that the challenge is to do a great picture with some thought.
But please tell me if I can use 3D in my 2D work...
BTW Hi LeeLee :D

Leonard
10-20-2004, 10:18 PM
I suppose line is thin about 3D in 2D or 2D on 3D (hum)...But for my part this particular theme suggest me to use-mix 2D & 3D & 2D & 3D etc..Today most of so impressive pictures we can see in movies, games or print are a mix of these diifferents tools, so why fixing such limitations. But I understand the rules of the contest, there is a 3D section and a 2D section...where could be the limit between both...I don't know...Maybe the limit is to make a percentage of what is 3D and what is not....hum..I really don't know. What I'm sure is that the challenge is to do a great picture with some thought.
But please tell me if I can use 3D in my 2D work...
BTW Hi LeeLee :D
Your main subject matter must be 3D. Backdrops, skies, etc. can be 2D plates that you paint on as matte paintings. But your main subject matter such as spaceships, characters, whatever, must be 3D. The majority of your scene must appear to be 3D as well. Please take a look at the MachineFlesh winners and see the distinction.

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/machineflesh/

Leonard
10-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Then I call it a 3D entry and proclaim all my paint job to be "post work", since you already said "anytihing goes" in post. :)

/Z
If it appears to be 2D, then it's a 2D work. Many digital illustrators are now using 3D packages to create the shapes and perspectives that they paint over. This is fine, and is regarded as 2D. This is not 'cheating' in any way as production artists do it all the time now.

E.g.

http://www.dusso.com/images/pg01/PG11.jpg
Yannick Dusseault credits using Softimage XSI. The whole painting resembles a 2D illustration, and I don't see any indication of 3D rendering/raytracing. This is regarded as a 2D illustration.

http://www.philipstraub.com/assets/illustrations/ghost_train_final.jpg
In D'artiste: Digital Painting, Philip Straub shows how he used a 3D package to create the basic outlines, shapes and perspective view for the train, after which he painted over it as reference. Yes, he used a 3D package, but this is still regarded as a 2D digital painting as the majority of the image is painted, not raytraced/rendered.

Leonard
10-20-2004, 10:50 PM
In all of the 15 previous Challenges we've had, we've always made a blanket rule that there is to be no pre-fabricated models and no parametric models allowed. Rather than start allowing these now, and open a can of worms, we're going to stick with the blanket rule that no parametric or pre-made model sets are to be used - including outputs from Vue, Terragen, Bionatics, parametric nature software, etc. For future Challenges, we will re-evaluate this position to see if it still makes sense.

Obviously, there's no or little way that we can check if you used such software. If you use it, we don't want to hear about it. And if you get caught, you're disqualified. Judging phase 1 is a public phase, where all CGTalk members will get to see your image and vote on it. You are also required to post your WIP images. If the public see that you are using parametric software and try to pass it off as your own work, you are risking your own reputation (as others have experienced while trying to pass off Poser/Daz work as their own).

Bottom line - let's just keep this simple for this Challenge - no parametric models, no pre-fabricated models.

brisck1
10-20-2004, 11:02 PM
For reason im having problems submitting entries on my home computer, whenever I log-in on the submission page I get this messege:
Error:

Whoops! Something strange happened with the database. An email has been dispatched to the Webmaster to look into.

I have tried clearing my cache and cookies, turning off my fiewall, but nothing helps! does anyone knows what's wrong?

Leonard
10-20-2004, 11:10 PM
I can see where you're coming from, but ... really?

First, is DEM a prefrabricated model? I can convert it to TIFF and use it as a heightfield in Cinema (or Rhino or any other program) or as a terrain pic/heightfield in Bryce. So, are all heightfields banned?

Also, somehow I don't think that parts of the Earth are prefabricated models, not like Poser people are.

Second, the guy said "a base for a terrain". So, if he paints on it in Photoshop, blurs, sharpens, makes a mosaic, or does that in the Terrain Editor in Bryce ... how's that different from the downloaded texture rule?

Third, my own question. I intend to use Mojoworld or Bryce to create the landscape with the models incorporated into the scene or composited later in Photoshop. Any objections to landscape generators?
This is such a grey area, so we've had to make a clear distinction in our rules.

If they, or the software, gives you a model to use, then you can't use it for this Challenge, because we don't allow pre-fabricated or parametric models. This has been the legacy for the last 15 challenges and because there are so many issues surrounding this, we are forced to make a blanket rule for this Challenge.

If it's just a height field that you use to apply to a plane as displacement or whatever, then fine. Does that mean that you can get around the rule by exporting a height map from a terrain generator and applying it as a displacement to a plane? Shit I don't know. (see the can of worms starting to burst out?)

If you *still* insist on using Vue/Bryce, then we don't want to hear about it, and you risk public persecution and/or disqualification when judging phase 1 starts if you're found out. That's what it comes down to, as a lot of the judging is from your peers on CGTalk. If they object to using parametric software, your image will rank low.

Leonard
10-20-2004, 11:11 PM
For reason im having problems submitting entries on my home computer, whenever I log-in on the submission page I get this messege:
Error:

Whoops! Something strange happened with the database. An email has been dispatched to the Webmaster to look into.

I have tried clearing my cache and cookies, turning off my fiewall, but nothing helps! does anyone knows what's wrong?
Can you please PM Robert Mibus (username: Mibus) so that he can look at it? You need to give him the specific information.

Gamoron
10-20-2004, 11:18 PM
Leonard you didn't answer my question! :sad:

I feel before I continue with the concept stage I think I'd better know what exactly is necessary to have in the final composition.

Do we need one of the fololowing? Space ship or ships and or Epic Scale buildings? Does it have to take place in outerspace?

Can it take place on a planet with none of the above?

Sorry this thread is getting large and I was too lazy to read the eniter thing.

Slav
10-20-2004, 11:18 PM
hi there all Challenge moderators

i have a rather simple question to ask. i registered early in the morning and was quite sleepy at the time and didnt write my full name on the challenge entry. when i went back to edit/change my last name, it doesnt show up on the main forum it only does so within my post.

should i re-enter making another entry or can this be changed by an admin?

Leonard
10-20-2004, 11:24 PM
hi there all Challenge moderators

i have a rather simple question to ask. i registered early in the morning and was quite sleepy at the time and didnt write my full name on the challenge entry. when i went back to edit/change my last name, it doesnt show up on the main forum it only does so within my post.

should i re-enter making another entry or can this be changed by an admin?
Please PM Robert Mibus (Mibus) with the exact details.

Leonard
10-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Leonard you didn't answer my question! :sad:
I didn't answer your question because you didn't read the 1st post! It's already answered!

Slav
10-21-2004, 12:02 AM
Please PM Robert Mibus (Mibus) with the exact details.
thank you leonard i shall see if i get a response.

erlik
10-21-2004, 12:48 AM
This is such a grey area, so we've had to make a clear distinction in our rules.

If they, or the software, gives you a model to use, then you can't use it for this Challenge, because we don't allow pre-fabricated or parametric models. This has been the legacy for the last 15 challenges and because there are so many issues surrounding this, we are forced to make a blanket rule for this Challenge.

If it's just a height field that you use to apply to a plane as displacement or whatever, then fine. Does that mean that you can get around the rule by exporting a height map from a terrain generator and applying it as a displacement to a plane? Shit I don't know. (see the can of worms starting to burst out?)

If you *still* insist on using Vue/Bryce, then we don't want to hear about it, and you risk public persecution and/or disqualification when judging phase 1 starts if you're found out. That's what it comes down to, as a lot of the judging is from your peers on CGTalk. If they object to using parametric software, your image will rank low.

I left all in, because I don't know where to cut. :) Anyways...

I'm still a bit unclear on what you mean by "parametric" software. A program where you just spin dials to change the existing model? In that case, what about Ozone, the atmospheric plugin for Cinema? Or its counterpart, whachammacallit, by Sitni Sati for Max?

Or, to bring it to extreme, how about the terrain object in Cinema?

I mean, creating a terrain in Bryce or a planet in Mojoworld (never even touched Vue) is very diferent from using a pre-made model in Poser. Okay, there are basic ones right out of the box. But, in my opinion, they are no different from primitives in other programs and look like crap. There are so many things that you have to do to them in order to get something really decent. Sometimes even more things than to model something else-software.

Luter
10-21-2004, 01:26 AM
Leo. Thanks. I run for the 2D challenge, and with this exemple of Yannick Dusseault you are answering my question. ( a sorry for my bad english). I thought about him when I asked my question...

SibSpi
10-21-2004, 02:15 AM
Oh yeah! the one about using 3D first then whatever is going to help me soooo much - makes me wanne remember howto cry even more now :cry:

Best to read this before sending off PMs to mods hey? *sorry*

Well now I can at least get an idea of what composition I want in my scene using 3D without feeling like I'd be cheating :)

chez
10-21-2004, 02:20 AM
hi all cgtalk moderators. First of all I want to apologise for my bad english. Second, I am very afraid that my subject isn't iconic enogh or that it not fits the space opera theme can you tell me if its okay to do the human's earth evacuation because of the not suitable condition of the enviroment? I mean, what I want to do is an image in wich numerous spaceships are exiting earth and going to the unknow. its ok? its iconic? thank you very very much for the help and patience

Wiro
10-21-2004, 03:06 AM
Chez: Yes, I would consider that iconic. But why not think even bigger? For example think 50'000 years into the future, mankind has settled on another star system and has to evacuate. The Space Opera theme is about scale and adventure and sticking to Earth or Sol system still seems a bit confined.

But that's my subjective opinion; it's within the rules so it's cool.

Wiro

MasterZap
10-21-2004, 03:07 AM
no parametric models
Okay, so no spheres, cones, cylinders, cubes or planes then. Okeeday. :)

/Z

Leonard
10-21-2004, 06:26 AM
Okay, so no spheres, cones, cylinders, cubes or planes then. Okeeday. :)

/Z That's right. No teapots either. :D

Use your common sense ok guys.

Climax
10-21-2004, 07:10 AM
• Which deadline do we have, i mean when are the entries closed
• Is it necessary to send the sketches? i mean if i don't send concept sketches can't i be in?
• Do i have to subscribe first or just send my image when it is done?

Leonard
10-21-2004, 07:16 AM
• Which deadline do we have, i mean when are the entries closed
17 January 2005

• Is it necessary to send the sketches? i mean if i don't send concept sketches can't i be in?
Yes it is necessary to show all the Work In Progress. You are disqualified if you don't.

• Do i have to subscribe first or just send my image when it is done?
You have to enter the Challenge first and upload your work in progress as you do them.

MasterZap
10-21-2004, 11:37 AM
That's right. No teapots either. :D
Whoah, someone knows my work!! I'm famous! :)

Lets play spot the teapots (http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap/ninavideo/trip-remix-video.asf) shall we :)

/Z

JPGargoyle
10-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Error:

Hi brisck1!

The same thing happened to me whem I was registering and I just hitted refresh and all worked fine.

Try refreshing your browser a couple of times. It might help (at least it worked for me ;) )

Best regards

Fred76
10-21-2004, 12:18 PM
It happened to me too ... i've try again and it works now !

flyingP
10-21-2004, 12:22 PM
just taken me ages to upload my last image too :hmm:

brisck1
10-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Its strange as it works every time here at work, I'll email that guy when I get back tonight (if I still have problems)

JamesMK
10-21-2004, 12:56 PM
My tests show that:

- Logging in using Internet Explorer works fine.
- Logging in using Mozilla Firefox works not very fine at all.

EDIT: And aside from that, I'm a bit upset that we're not allowed to use teapots. I had my whole concept built around intergalactic teapots... Damn damn damn...

JPGargoyle
10-21-2004, 02:43 PM
EDIT: And aside from that, I'm a bit upset that we're not allowed to use teapots. I had my whole concept built around intergalactic teapots... Damn damn damn...
LOOOOOOOOOL :D

superlayer
10-21-2004, 03:23 PM
I think the question about wether you can or can not work on ideas or projects you have already started on such as aegis by dene of terror hasnt been answered very clearly.

I thought we were supposed to create an original piece for this challenge that hasnt been used before no matter if it is created by us or not.

i it true?

WeaBeast
10-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Is there a deadline for each milestone or is it whenever the said milestone is completed?

Eclisod
10-21-2004, 06:01 PM
i'm going to come out flamed from this but i'll ask anyway:

I use Bryce 5 (damn proud of it, first guy who says he'd rather render with a crayola box gets two in the head :twisted: ). It creates mountains and trees and so on. You said we should use our common sense and mine dictates that there shouldn't even be a hint of pre-fabs. In this case it would be randomly generated terrain that I can still do in a modelling program without too much hassle. But since I'm lazy I decided to ask anyway. So, are random terrain generators allowed?

thanks,

E~

Kemal
10-21-2004, 10:08 PM
I do all my poswork with crayolas, nuttin wrong with that :twisted:

Riccardo
10-21-2004, 10:30 PM
I've entered the challenge just after I received the email from CGChannel, but when I returned to CGTalk I discovered that posted images do not appear! I checked also the User CP and it's OK and it is not an Internet Explorer problem because It happens only on CGTalk. Please Help ME!

_mayashu_
10-21-2004, 11:03 PM
I've entered the challenge just after I received the email from CGChannel, but when I returned to CGTalk I discovered that posted images do not appear! I checked also the User CP and it's OK and it is not an Internet Explorer problem because It happens only on CGTalk. Please Help ME!
the same problem I have too :(

Shoshanna
10-21-2004, 11:23 PM
Hi,
I would like to enter this challenge, but I have a couple of questions I don't see the answers to in this thread.

First off, I have come up with a rough idea of what I want to model and I think it fits the space opera theme - if I post it as a concept sketch and you (the contest managers) feel it does not fit the requirements, will I get told and have a chance to rework it into something acceptable or is that me out of the challenge?

Secondly, how closely does the final modelled scene need to resemble the concept sketch?
Am I free to develop a very rough outline as my concept sketch (I can't draw) then refine the scene into something possibly quite different throughout the modelling process - I'm a beginner so I tend to get inspiration for details further down the line.
I know if it's a whole new concept you have to start again with a sketch, but how far can you stray from your concept sketch before you have to start again?

Thirdly, I'm not always clear on the correct terms for things so I don't know exactly what you mean by parametric models etc..
I use C4d and have a number of plug ins for it, am I allowed to use them (eg Xfrog or Shave & a Haircut) or does everything have to be created in the core program?

Okay - I read this entire thread through again as nobody answered me, to see if I'd just missed the answers and someone has stated earlier that 3rd party plugins are okay as long as they aren't plant/terrain generators so I guess that means
Xfrog = NO
Shave = YES
(don't know how I missed that first time, sorry)

I'm still not sure on the answers to my other two questions, so I'd really appreciate someone giving me a clue here.
Thanks for any help, I just want to be clear before making a start.
Suzanne.

Kemal
10-21-2004, 11:29 PM

I use Bryce 5 (damn proud of it, first guy who says he'd rather render with a crayola box gets two in the head :twisted: ). It creates mountains and trees and so on. You said we should use our common sense and mine dictates that there shouldn't even be a hint of pre-fabs. In this case it would be randomly generated terrain that I can still do in a modelling program without too much hassle. But since I'm lazy I decided to ask anyway. So, are random terrain generators allowed?

thanks,

E~
I agree wih you on this one, ALL major 3D packages DO generate heightfields using the same or similar ( fractal based ) formulas, this is well known fact !!!

Since Bryce is still considered a toy, this is not suprising to me, i think the main factor about "prefabricated" term is that Bryce is AUTOMATICLY creating texture for it, SO WHAT?, I can paint my texture in Painter if I want and apply it, I'm sure it is going to look more original then what some ppl in other packadges do: apply aerial photo to it, how creative !!! :twisted:

MathNAres
10-21-2004, 11:54 PM
I'm having a problem in my registration,
I put "Argentina" (my real location) but, now it says "Country: Antarctica"
I don't want to be disqualified.
What Must I do?

Leonard
10-21-2004, 11:57 PM
You're on the wrong site. CG Channel is not CGNetworks/CGTalk. They are our competitors.

Leonard
10-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Is there a deadline for each milestone or is it whenever the said milestone is completed?
Whenever the said milestone is completed.

From the FAQ:

Q: How early do I have to start submitting milestones?
A: As early as possible. Although there is no due date earlier than the final closing date, part of the final judging vote puts 25% weight on Community Interaction, which means that people who 'hold back' their work in progress till the last minute can be penalized.

Leonard
10-22-2004, 12:02 AM

thanks,

E~
Good for you. Unfortunately, the rules of the Challenge are that you can't use random terrain generators such as Bryce or Vue. This has been a legacy of the last 15 challenges, and why we call it a "Challenge" - to challenge each artist.

We treat the Challenge is like a triathlon. We challenge the artists with a theme/concept and provide rules/boundaries to work within. You don't see triathlon athletes jumping in cars to beat their challengers, and drug cheats always get the bad side of the media. Similarly, for the last 15 challenges, we've said that you can't use parametric/random character or terrain or plant/foliage generators. That's why it's a "Challenge".

We have nothing against Bryce or Vue, and they are part of the software list when submitting to the CGTalk gallery, but not in this Challenge please.

Eclisod
10-22-2004, 03:29 AM
Fine with me. I'll make it a point for all my terrains and anything else that might be pre-fab to have a painful amount of detail (on how the mesh was made) in order to ensure the judges understand they're not pre-fabs. I understand that it's a "challenge" and as such, it has to be "challenging." Since I do want to be "challenged."

E~

erlik
10-22-2004, 07:52 AM
Similarly, for the last 15 challenges, we've said that you can't use parametric/random character or terrain or plant/foliage generators. That's why it's a "Challenge".

We have nothing against Bryce or Vue, and they are part of the software list when submitting to the CGTalk gallery, but not in this Challenge please.

So, could you please answer Shoshanna's and my questions: what about plugins for Cinema, Max, Maya and whatever else? Do the users of those programs model horizon spanning landscapes and atmosphere by hand?

Then, does that mean that I cannot use Bryce to assemble my scene, either?

Finally, why are you changing the rules after the challenge started? A couple of days ago the instructions only mentioned Poser and DAZ3D (which is called DAZ|Studio, btw) and now you've added "Terragen, Bryce and other parametric model generation software".

Leonard
10-22-2004, 08:04 AM
So, could you please answer Shoshanna's and my questions: what about plugins for Cinema, Max, Maya and whatever else? Do the users of those programs model horizon spanning landscapes and atmosphere by hand?

Then, does that mean that I cannot use Bryce to assemble my scene, either?

Finally, why are you changing the rules after the challenge started? A couple of days ago the instructions only mentioned Poser and DAZ3D (which is called DAZ|Studio, btw) and now you've added "Terragen, Bryce and other parametric model generation software". We never changed the rules, it's ALWAYS been this way for the last 15 Challenges run over the last 3 years. We're just clarifying that one rule because people seem to be making a mountain out of this issue for no reason - none of the winners in all our previous challenges even bothered to use parametric random generation software - they challenged themselves and pushed their abilities - that's the purpose of the challenge. What's the point of pressing two buttons to make a scene? Where's the challenge in that?

And the rule includes all plug-ins for the packages that create random parametric objects such as plants/foliage. I would advise that you stay away from Bryce/Vue altogether for this Challenge, because other CGTalk members (who are judging phase 1) will almost definitely mark you down for using these. If you want to use these softwares, use them outside of the Challenge.

It's a Challenge - challenge yourself! Learn from the Challenge! Enjoy yourself!

--

And please people, no more about this issue. It's a rule, and everyone is given two options:
1. Join the challenge and follow the rules
2. Don't join the challenge

bakbek
10-22-2004, 08:06 AM
Hi all...

Regarding the subject matter of the images i enter the challenge. Is it ok if I specifically depict my own interpretation for scenes from a known space opera? Or should I steer out of any such relations?
is it actually mandatory to invent something new?

Regards,
Ronen.

Leonard
10-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Hi all...

Regarding the subject matter of the images i enter the challenge. Is it ok if I specifically depict my own interpretation for scenes from a known space opera? Or should I steer out of any such relations?
is it actually mandatory to invent something new?

Regards,
Ronen.
As mentioned in the instructions and several times (don't you guys read the FAQ?).

Do something original.

Eclisod
10-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the extra clarifications, Leonard. It's kind enough of you guys to allow people with lower-end apps to enter as it is, having to explain in excrutiating details what we're allowed or not allowed must make you want to hurt small furry animals. All the same, thanks for taking the time :)

E~

Kirt
10-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Thanks ... having to explain in excrutiating details what we're allowed or not allowed must make you want to hurt small furry animals.Quote of this century I believe ...

Look, it's real simple.
Do your homework before you start. Read the rules of this challenge. Read them again to make sure you didn't miss something. If in doubt ... look at the winning entries of the MachineFlesh & AlienWare Challenges. Enter the challenge. Have fun.Oh ... and ignore that knocking noise ... it's just the Admins doing this :banghead:

Eclisod
10-22-2004, 08:56 AM
mister, what is that little red thing doing to that wall? :)

erlik
10-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Quote of this century I believe ...

You have no idea. :D

Oh ... and ignore that knocking noise ... it's just the Admins doing this :banghead:

Welcome to the club. ;)

Just the last thing:

There are people who can run rings in Bryce around anybody using a more expensive package.

But, okay, if it's the rules, then it's the rules.

Leonard
10-22-2004, 09:13 AM
Just the last thing:

There are people who can run rings in Bryce around anybody using a more expensive package.

But, okay, if it's the rules, then it's the rules.
No-one is denying that Bryce/Vue/whatever are capable of creating good results.

Go to any car race - let's say NASCAR - notice how all the cars are similar specs? Why don't they allow Formula 1 cars in NASCAR? They'd run circles around any NASCAR machine any day! Why don't they allow it? They have RULES to level the playing field for competitors.

No-one is bashing Bryce. You can go back to your Bryce-lovin and sleep content.

ezteh
10-22-2004, 09:16 AM
Ok I Looked through the tread and didn't see my questioned answered, so If it was forgive me.

but for the the size of my final image The FAQ said a minimum of 2567px by 3636px @ 300dpi

Now is there a maximum size?

say I want to make one 2567*7272, would that be ok?

Thanks

Leonard
10-22-2004, 09:19 AM
Ok I Looked through the tread and didn't see my questioned answered, so If it was forgive me.

but for the the size of my final image The FAQ said a minimum of 2567px by 3636px @ 300dpi

Now is there a maximum size?

say I want to make one 2567*7272, would that be ok?

Thanks
Dude, if you can render at that resolution, we love you.

The problem most of the time are those who think that this is just a web contest and want to create images at 640x480.

Kirt
10-22-2004, 09:21 AM
Not to start a debate on what's right and what's left ... but in the USA we drive on the right side of the road. In Britain and Australia (I hear) that they drive on the left. Now, if I were to visit Leo in Australia I wouldn't drive on the right and expect everyone to adjust to my nationality. Chances are that I'd be road kill within 30 seconds.

Same goes here. The rules are there ... you know them. If you choose to make everyone adjust to your personal preferences then go ahead and try. (See above for consequences)

The choice is yours. Choose wisely. :D

Ter-o
10-22-2004, 09:37 AM
I was wondering, does the jury (and voters) read the attached stories (and storyboard concepts) related to the final image?

The reason I'm asking this, is that I just got an idea, which is quite hard to tell in just one image, but if people would read the story and look at the attached images which clear the idea, they would understand the final image even if I don't put all the information in that one picture.

I think since the theme was to create iconic picture, it means that people know what happened before/after the picture.. the picture kinda catches the single crucial moment which binds the whole feeling of the incident, right?

Just curious :)

SibSpi
10-22-2004, 11:56 AM
I'm sure it is going to look more original then what some ppl in other packadges do: apply aerial photo to it, how creative !!! So THAT's how the Pros do it! And there I was trying to paint snow onto a grassy basin for the alienware challenge :banghead:

Personally I'm currently working from a plane which I merely made wobbly with a noise modifier - but since it looks so damned boring I'll obviously be adding other details, like rocks with clearings underneath them where snow didn't fall - little yellow icicles forming on them ;)

Oh and Admins - 'scuse people for asking the same questions over and over - some are stupid like me - others are merely dumbfounded by the language barrier.

erlik
10-22-2004, 12:07 PM
No-one is bashing Bryce. You can go back to your Bryce-lovin and sleep content.

Now, that was quite low and quite nasty.

You have no idea what I love and what I'm content with.

The fact that I'm a new member here and you're the editor doesn't give you the right to be so snidely condescending.

Please respect your own rules of posting.

Wiro
10-22-2004, 12:08 PM
I was wondering, does the jury (and voters) read the attached stories (and storyboard concepts) related to the final image?

If you have a backstory then great! That'll make it more insteresting but at the same time your picture should ideally be able to tell the story at least partially on it's own. The first round of voting will be by you, the members of CGT and I don't expect everyone to read through all the 400+ backstories. In the end it's the result that matters.

Wiro

Wiro
10-22-2004, 12:17 PM
What was offensive?! Erlik, please give it a rest. For being a brand new member you're not making a very good impression by starting out causing conflict

Wiro

chadtheartist
10-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Nevermind. I'll PM Mibus.

Thanks.

SibSpi
10-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Please respect your own rules of posting. The rule you're referring to is probably the one about "show courtesy and respect in your posts and respect the thoughts and feelings of others" or something.
I'll just say this, which I was tought early in life:

Learn to understand and admire the wit behind sarcasm, for failure to do so may lead to unjust hate and frustration.

As Leonard said, noone is bashing bryce - I used it on my mom's mac before and it's damned fun and you can do a lot with it. But only so much. If you wanne use it it's your choice and abilities that determine whether or not people like what you made. Not what program you used to do it. UNLESS you use truespace2 - now THAT would be something! :beer:

Luter
10-22-2004, 07:25 PM
Do somebody find my keys ..? Leo..no...?..arhh ... I need them to start my mecano-monoxyd-sulfur-multi-dimensionnal-paint-module ...and BTW....Leo..may I use my monoxyd-carbon-bi-sulfural-but-multi-dimensionnal-paint-and-repaint-module ?...:)

RobertJ
10-22-2004, 07:36 PM
I always learned that a good carpenter never blames his tools. But by the looks of it some people here blame the tools of others.

Perhaps the forumname should be "Creative Computer Graphics Forum as long as you use the tools that we approve of".

And since this is my first post here, and probably my last i am also going to post this over there at the renderosity Bryce forum.

Kirt
10-23-2004, 12:10 AM
(see above)I just don't understand what part of the rules and lengthy discussion here by Leo that you don't understand.

No one is saying Bryce isn't a tool that can be used for modelling or creating an image worthy of a gallery. The problem is that this is a "challenge". And it has been determined by the Admins and Mods of this site that using a tool such as Bryce to quicken the modelling process is an unfair advantage over those who are willing to spend the time and energy to create the model from scratch.

There are freeware apps that are capable of spectacular results given the right "carpenter" has the vision and desire to create. You can either pout until you're blue in the face about what you're capable of with Bryce or you can shut up and get to work on your entry.

End result is that if you use a 'click-n-create' shortcut ... you're going to have to face the jury of your own peers. They (not the Admins or Mods) will have the final say in weather your Bryce solution stands up to the rest of the challenger's hard work and persistance to learn.

Oregano
10-23-2004, 12:22 AM
Just a quick note to Leonard and Wiro to say thanks for answering my question a few days back. I really appreciated your time and effort to shed a little light on the subject. Your further explanations helped considerably.

Cheers,
~S

percydaman
10-23-2004, 12:43 AM
So THAT's how the Pros do it! And there I was trying to paint snow onto a grassy basin for the alienware challenge :banghead:

Personally I'm currently working from a plane which I merely made wobbly with a noise modifier - but since it looks so damned boring I'll obviously be adding other details, like rocks with clearings underneath them where snow didn't fall - little yellow icicles forming on them ;)

Oh and Admins - 'scuse people for asking the same questions over and over - some are stupid like me - others are merely dumbfounded by the language barrier.
haha, using noise on a plane for terrain could be considered parametric modelling, is that allowed?

If Im just being stupid, please feel free to say so....

Luter
10-23-2004, 01:22 AM
There could be also ...no challenge....why not simply follow the rules and have fun ? I don't think fun depends of tools... Just draw-paint-model, have fun, and make a good work...with that rules..that's all..it's simple. Now it could be great to see work instead of words, don't you think ? There is rules, there is questions, there is answers...after that, others questions could be interesting...on another forum dedicated to these subjects.

(BTW if you find my keys....)

PixelShader
10-23-2004, 01:33 AM

The fact that I'm a new member here and you're the editor doesn't give you the right to be so snidely condescending.

For GOD's SAKE just please just GIVE IT A REST.

Leonard OWNS this site. It is HIS house, and it's HIS party. If you don't like it, just leave.

There was nothing condescending or rude in his post - he made it clear that they have nothing against Bryce, and allow it for the galleries. But as Kirt says, it gives an unfair advantage in this challenge and they restrict it along with all the other similar software. What is so difficult about this? Seriously, you need to lighten up. All Leonard said was that you can sleep at night without having to worry about Bryce bashing. No-one is condescending you.

Leonard
10-23-2004, 01:39 AM

Excuse me. How is what I said condescending? You're the one fanned the flames over the use of Bryce a few posts up, and I've tried to explain it very clearly that we are not bashing Bryce in any way.

This is my forum. I own it - I'm not just an 'editor' working for this company. I even put Bryce in the software list for the Gallery Submissions - so please explain to me - am I condescending people who use Bryce? Read all of my posts above again and please explain to me where I said anything about Bryce in a negative way. All I said is that you can be rest assured that we're not bashing Bryce, and you can sleep tight without worrying about it.

Attempting to humiliate me in public is not appreciated.

I always learned that a good carpenter never blames his tools. But by the looks of it some people here blame the tools of others.

Perhaps the forumname should be "Creative Computer Graphics Forum as long as you use the tools that we approve of".

And since this is my first post here, and probably my last i am also going to post this over there at the renderosity Bryce forum.
Please explain - what is so difficult to understand that we do not restrict Bryce on the forum galleries? For the specifics of this Challenge, we don't allow random automatic terrain generation - Bryce, Vue, Terragen and all similar products do this and give an unfair advantage. We called it a "Challenge" to challenge artists to produce these using standard modeling tools.

I already gave the NASCAR analogy, as well as a triathlon analogy. Why is it so difficult for you to understand? These are the rules - you either play by them or you don't enter.

Climax
10-23-2004, 02:25 AM
• If I am in the 3D challenge, can iI also inscribe in the 2D? (with a diferent image and concept of course)

• If we send our concepts what guarantee do we have that other people could not "steal" our idea (please don't missunderstand this)

Regards

percydaman
10-23-2004, 02:33 AM
• If I am in the 3D challenge, can iI also inscribe in the 2D? (with a diferent image and concept of course)

• If we send our concepts what guarantee do we have that other people could not "steal" our idea (please don't missunderstand this)

Regards
Its in the FAQ.

Wiro
10-23-2004, 02:34 AM
Climax:

Yes you can, as stated in the FAQ
No guarantee, but obvious ripoffs won't go down very well with the voting public. I wouldn't worry much about this as it seems everyone is more concerned about making something original that really sticks out of the crowd
Wiro

Leonard
10-23-2004, 02:46 AM
Climax - I just want to elaborate a bit more on what Wiro said in regards to 'stealing' concepts.

Your guarantee is that there are 115,000 other members on CGTalk, many whom respect originality as it is in their best interest as artists. If someone has the gall to 'steal' your concept, and it is made known to the public, that person will get such a bad rap from the community that he/she will not want to come back. This has happened several times on CGTalk already with plagiarism made known to the public. In the history of the Challenge (all 15 of them), however, no-one has ever 'stolen' another person's concept. Also bear in mind that Phase 1 judging is public voting.

ah-art
10-23-2004, 03:59 AM
Quick question. For the 2D stuff, can it be mixed media? i.e. traditional mediums with digital touchups? Kudos

Climax
10-23-2004, 04:01 AM
• Thanks Leonard, very clear and satisfactory explanation!

• I have another Question, this may sound a very silly question although i have allready an award, But i don't know how to insert an image to my Thread so its displays in "full page", when in post reply i click on the insert image, but it asks me for an http:\ address, I thought i could write the image path in my hard drive, but nothing happens, How do I upload my WIP to my thread?

Kirt
10-23-2004, 04:17 AM
• I have another Question, this may sound a very silly question although i have allready an award, But i don't know how to insert an image to my Thread so its displays in "full page", when in post reply i click on the insert image, but it asks me for an http:\ address, I thought i could write the image path in my hard drive, but nothing happens, How do I upload my WIP to my thread?On the image filename entry there's a "Browse..." button. Click on that and then you can find the filename on your hardrive. When you "Submit" the form it will upload your image to the server.

Shade01
10-23-2004, 06:25 AM
Quick question. For the 2D stuff, can it be mixed media? i.e. traditional mediums with digital touchups? Kudos
That shouldn't be a problem.

Kaksht
10-23-2004, 06:48 AM
Can i use a space ship model like in one game (it will be modified), because it has inspired me, or should i invent a new one?

RobertJ
10-23-2004, 06:50 AM
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Start=1&Artist=RobertJ&ByArtist=Yes

My gallery at Renderosity, there is actually one picture wich has an imported model. For the all the other pictures it is the same story, i make my models myself. I am not a fan of importing models, it usually shows in comparison to you own work, so therefore i rather model myself.

Its still a learning process since i started with Bryce almost 5 years ago (i discovered Renderosity in dec. 2002) and i find it good fun. Maybe it was not the smartest choice then, but i could afford it, and the learning curve of Bryce isn't as steep wich is a good thing if you have a daytime job and a household to run, by the way if work for regional newspapers in the commercial department making commercials, advertorials and special magazines, not excactly a 9 to 5 job.

But i fail to see how Bryce can be a unfair advantage in comparison to other applications. It sure can produce some quick results but if it really has to shine then you have to put effort and knowledge into it, what's between the ears. Then it becomes hard labour, and is Bryce with its slow render engine actually a disadvantage.

One of the problems that upsetting a lot regulars at Renderosity is that some lesser Bryce users have a lot of friends (or croonies) that help voting their pictures into the Hot 20, then you will see the waterplane with reflective sphere and stock-settings and textures in the Hot 20 where you expected to see Bryce finest.

But that's not a problem here in this contest.

As i wrote, i fail to see how Bryce can be an unfair advantage. I mean its the end-result that counts, right? What kind of story is behind your final work, the thoughts behind it, the development, the sketches and so on. Unfair would be the Bryce (or any other for that matter) user that don't participate, that don't show their progress and only come up with their final work minutes before the 17 january deadline.

Now i could go on for a while, but i rather would start with the contest, i have background story in my head and a vision of the most iconic moment in that story that will span in entire galaxy and takes centuries to develop.

And its not only the prizes, i like the subject, i like the whole process and the fun of it, and off course it also a bit of showing off. And it will be more than the planetary operations that i have conducted so far, i am going take on an whole galaxy.

Werewolf006
10-23-2004, 09:08 AM
**takes deep breath**

I think I'll go in but I need one thing.
I understand clearly we can't use poser models. but can we use them as plates? I can model my own humans but I have absoulotly no artistic talent and if I try drawing a face from scratch I'll flop(I tried once and ended up with a face of a very challenged man) so I had this idea that I use poser faces as front and side plates. Is this allowed? will it affect my chances gravely?

WeevilMan
10-23-2004, 09:08 AM
are we allowed to make our submissions in the form of a triptych?

erlik
10-23-2004, 09:26 AM
I see that keeping quiet won't do much for this discussion, so...

Attempting to humiliate me in public is not appreciated.

I'm sorry, but that turn of phrase, "Bryce-lovin", really stuck me like a pin. Mabe I'm way too sensitive, but I hope you'll agree that there's a quite negative attitude towards Bryce in parts of 3D community as well as see why I then reacted the way I did.

Anyway, maybe I'll assemble my scene in Bryce, maybe I'll assemble it in Cinema. I may even decide to paint over the 3D render and switch over to 2D. For me, what it comes down is not "jury of our peers" but what each of us is satisfied with. I hope you'll agree with that, too.

Leonard
10-23-2004, 10:48 AM
see above
RobertJ,

You're right to say that it's the end result that counts - but not in the case of the Challenge. If you submitted Bryce images to the Gallery and to our annual Best Of book EXPOSE', the jury would only look at the final image and judge based on its artistic merit. However, this is not the case with the Challenge for one simple reason - it's a 'challenge'.

It's been a legacy for the last 15 challenges already that we challenge each artist both technically and artistically without the help of random/automatic parametric software including Bryce/Vue/Terragen/Poser/Bionatics and all similar products. For the last 15 challenges, all the moderators and even the general public have agreed that these have no place in the challenges.

Think of a triathlon challenge - athletes are required to go through specific tasks and challenges. One could argue that it's the end goal and the time to get to the goal that counts, and nothing else - but this is not the case. The purpose of the triathlon is to challenge each athlete as they go through each gruelling phase. For this reason, you don't see triathlon athletes using motorcross bikes instead of mountain bikes, or speed-boats instead of swimming and drug cheats will more often-than-not get the bad end of the media.

Now, while you could continue arguing for hours that you don't see how Bryce/Vue/Terragen (and all similar products) gives an advantage to artists, it's already in the rules set forth by the moderators for the last 15 challenges over 3 years. You can do two things - accept the rules and enter the Challenge, or don't enter the Challenge at all. The rules are already set in place, have a legacy and are accepted by everyone entering.

I want to make it very clear that we are not picking on Bryce specifically - it simply does not have a place in the context of the challenges. You say that you like the subject matter - there's nothing stopping you from attempting the subject matter on your own and submitting it to the CGTalk Galleries or EXPOSE'. The Challenge is what it is, a 'challenge'. However, if you're just interested in this Challenge because of the prizes, you'd be fascinated to know that in the past we had no prizes at all for the challenges as the original purpose was for all artists to learn from each other - that, we believe, is the greatest value of the Challenge.

Leonard

NinjaA55N
10-23-2004, 10:56 AM
Im affraid that i didnt catch somehing, although I think I understand the whole concept of this challenge. But just to make sure, please help me with this question... All entries that I checked, was sketches with lots of tech and machinery. Samples that Leonard posted was also some flying machinery, lost somewhere in the space. So, could be my entry about a civilisation somewhere in the nature (fiction nature not placed on our planet)? With buildings and stuff to make sure that its a civilisation, but not so much tech stuff and spaceships and so on?

PLEASE help me on this one. Thank u! :)

Werewolf006
10-23-2004, 10:59 AM
the original purpose was for all artists to learn from each other - that, we believe, is the greatest value of the Challenge.thats deep. I'm with you and I'll ask Robert to go to max forums and watch them pick on Maya and to Maya forum and watch them how they burn max's flag and in lightwave too.
besides I think Vue is better than Bryce.(hope he will not be sensitive about this one :D

anyone will answer my question? or may be say "your silly" at least?

RobertJ
10-23-2004, 11:01 AM
In answer to Leonard.

Maybe i put it wrong, but its the whole creative process, the interaction with others, sketches, idea's that lead to a final work that shows my idea of an iconic moment in my space opera, right?

Bryce is only a part of that whole process for me.

Werewolf006: That's what i mean with "A good carpenter never blames his tools", but we should not blame the tools of others as well unless they are being used to cheat, cheating wich will show up here anyway. Usually it show that you have been taking shortcuts.

MasterZap
10-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Dumb question; Doesn't Bryce also support general modelling, i.e. non-terrain modelling? I know a guy who makes the most AMAZING industrial interiors (think T2 steel mill stuff)... in ... Bryce. HOW he does it, I have no clue. But he does.

/Z

Leonard
10-23-2004, 11:32 AM
In answer to Leonard.

Maybe i put it wrong, but its the whole creative process, the interaction with others, sketches, idea's that lead to a final work that shows my idea of an iconic moment in my space opera, right?

Bryce is only a part of that whole process for me.

Robert,

You can refer to rules, and this FAQ thread which advises to steer clear of Bryce/Vue/Terragen/Poser. Even if you're not using these in the context of parametric/random mesh generation, you may be penalized by other CGTalk members who are judging Phase 1, which is a public voting phase.

While I'd love to continue debating this issue, I honestly really have other things to do and would appreciate it if we could end this here. I hope to see you at the finish line.

Thanks,

Leonard

Leonard
10-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Dumb question; Doesn't Bryce also support general modelling, i.e. non-terrain modelling? I know a guy who makes the most AMAZING industrial interiors (think T2 steel mill stuff)... in ... Bryce. HOW he does it, I have no clue. But he does.

/Z
Do you mind if we please not get into software-feature-specific discussions here? This is a Challenge FAQ thread.

Thanks,

Leonard

Werewolf006
10-23-2004, 11:42 AM
"A good carpenter never blames his tools", I know it's not the place for this debate, but I'm weak.

This is true, but not 100% applicable to art. In traditional media not all paint brushes are same quality and you can't give someone a watercolor set and ask him for an airbrush look.
everybody understands your point of view and agrees with you in principle. But it's clear that this challenge involves mostly modeling. Thats why it was forbidden to use prefabs. Leo said it's about learning The technique as well as art and imaginitivity (if there's such a word) so a poser/bryce combination is out of the question in this challenge it's not about compositing and posing only. my be there are such challenges elsewere.
It won't be very fair for people who want to use their own original freeky model. because if we remove this criteria a poser/bryce/photoshop entry may win (as you'll agree). and he could have finished his image in 2 days while other's spend months in modeling and rigging.

Edit: sorry Leonard you posted while I was writing, and about my question?

Leonard
10-23-2004, 11:46 AM
**takes deep breath**

I think I'll go in but I need one thing.
I understand clearly we can't use poser models. but can we use them as plates? I can model my own humans but I have absoulotly no artistic talent and if I try drawing a face from scratch I'll flop(I tried once and ended up with a face of a very challenged man) so I had this idea that I use poser faces as front and side plates. Is this allowed? will it affect my chances gravely?
Answering this - yes it affects your chances gravely. It's already in the FAQ and in the rules, to steer clear of Poser completely as the general public might penalize you in the public voting phase.

Thanks,

Leonard

Leonard
10-23-2004, 11:48 AM
I know it's not the place for this debate, but I'm weak.

This is true, but not 100% applicable to art. In traditional media not all paint brushes are same quality and you can't give someone a watercolor set and ask him for an airbrush look.
snip

Gentlemen - this is not the place for this debate. This is a Challenge FAQ thread to discuss issues specific to the Challenge - please don't take this thread on a tangent.

I will have to start removing posts if it goes too far off topic.

Thanks,

Leonard

NinjaA55N
10-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Could please someone just say Yes or No on my question? So I could started... dont want to rush anyone coz I know how busy u all r. Just that one answer please :) Thank u.

Leonard
10-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Im affraid that i didnt catch somehing, although I think I understand the whole concept of this challenge. But just to make sure, please help me with this question... All entries that I checked, was sketches with lots of tech and machinery. Samples that Leonard posted was also some flying machinery, lost somewhere in the space. So, could be my entry about a civilisation somewhere in the nature (fiction nature not placed on our planet)? With buildings and stuff to make sure that its a civilisation, but not so much tech stuff and spaceships and so on?

PLEASE help me on this one. Thank u! :)
This, and several variations of this question are already answered in the FAQ and in this thread. Please refer to the 1st question in the FAQ.

Thanks,

Leonard

RobertJ
10-23-2004, 12:06 PM
While I'd love to continue debating this issue, I honestly really have other things to do and would appreciate it if we could end this here. I hope to see you at the finish line.
Agreed.

If people want to discuss, go to my own thread (see the sig) and keep this thread tidy, i may be newbie but i am certainly not a newbie on forums and usenet.

silencermh16
10-23-2004, 12:22 PM
sry for this silly question.
But I dont see the button for uploading a picture.
I only found the option to insert a url picture.

NinjaA55N
10-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Sorry Leonard, and thnx for ur time.

M477
10-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Just a quick question if I may..

I am still in the early sketch stages, arranging the elements within my scene and want to create a large scale crowd/army. Can I use the character studio biped as a sketch model for duplicating and creating my crowd (where near to the camera)? I would use cylinders or some other primitive but characters would be better. I will of course create my own from scratch come the final stages but I don't want to spend unnecessary time modelling a character that I may not even use.

Thankyouplease

percydaman
10-23-2004, 03:52 PM
I have what I hope is a legitimate question along these lines. Im currently using vray for my project. It has sub-pixel displacement at rendertime. Now I never considered that to be cheating, but this latest discussion has me asking that question. I dont want to do something that will disqualify me.

Its not parametric modelling in the purest sense of the word, but you CAN take a texture and use displacement to change a flat plane to highly detailed modelling. Isn't that what Bryce does? Never used it so am not totally sure.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=178413&page=3&pp=20

If you take a look at my entry youll see what I mean. technically I have a model of a terrain, the displacement is not doing ALL the work, but certainly took a messed up mesh and made something out of it. This post only illustrates a test, I have another test, where I spent alot of time pushing pixels to create a terrain model, but always had the intent to use displacement maps to get finer detail that is just otherwise a waste of computer resources and my time.

I suppose I, and alot of others, could make do without it, but to ban this method, would seem severe. Please Leonard, let me know.

Kirt
10-23-2004, 04:54 PM
Can I use the character studio biped as a sketch model for duplicating and creating my crowd (where near to the camera)? I would use cylinders or some other primitive but characters would be better. I will of course create my own from scratch come the final stages but I don't want to spend unnecessary time modelling a character that I may not even use.

ThankyoupleaseLook carefully, you already answered your own question. "I will of course create my own from scratch come the final stages".

Use whatever is available to you to sketch your ideas. I've seen in one thread an artist is using some older models from his archive to composite his scene. Perfectly acceptable as long as the final image contains all elements created after the challenge starting date.sry for this silly question.
But I dont see the button for uploading a picture.
I only found the option to insert a url picture.The big button that says "Browse..." will allow you to select your image from your hard drive. The button that says "Submit" will post your entry and upload the image to the CGNetworks servers.

Arsyn
10-23-2004, 05:12 PM
To be eligible for prizes, all shortlisted contestants must provide detailed Making Of's within 1 month of the initial announcement.

detailed making of's within 1 month of what initial announcement? entry deadline?

M477
10-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Thanks Kirt had to be sure! :thumbsup:

Next question... I'm doing some large colour paintings (in acrylic, not cg) of aspects of my scene for sketch submission. Can I paint the final textures for my models in this way, scan them in, and adjust them on computer? Is this allowed??

Again I assume it is ok, but need to be sure :shrug:

Thanks

Climax
10-23-2004, 05:49 PM
On the image filename entry there's a "Browse..." button. Click on that and then you can find the filename on your hardrive. When you "Submit" the form it will upload your image to the server.
• Please, I know you are gonna hate me, but i don't get it
Where is this image entry button? when I click on the "Insert image" button i get a Script Prompt It asks me for the URL of my image and there is no "browse" button, so, how can I upload my image from my Hard Drive? I will really appreciate your help

silencermh16
10-23-2004, 05:51 PM
The big button that says "Browse..." will allow you to select your image from your hard drive. The button that says "Submit" will post your entry and upload the image to the CGNetworks servers.

yes i heard so
It is perhaps a little bit crazy, but i dont find this button, so my Question, where it should be.
(sry for my bad english ;) )

M477
10-23-2004, 06:06 PM
• Please, I know you are gonna hate me, but i don't get it
Where is this image entry button? when I click on the "Insert image" button i get a Script Prompt It asks me for the URL of my image and there is no "browse" button, so, how can I upload my image from my Hard Drive? I will really appreciate your helpI had this problem (I'm assuming it's the same!).. I don't know if this is the proper way to do it, but to add images to your thread, go to the main screen and click 'submit entry' this will then take you to the screen you were on when you first submitted an image for the competition. Then select what milestone it is, repeat concept sketch if needs be and upload the image.

Job's a good'n

Hope this helps! :D

silencermh16
10-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Yeah thx for help
Is that the standard way to upload a picture or is it only a way to get around a bug ?

Kirt
10-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Maybe there is some confusion ...

When you submit an image to your thread you should be using this page. (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/submit_entry.php)

This will take care of several issues. Your images will be hosted on CGNetworks so you don't have to use your own personal webspace Your images will remain long after the challenge is ended so that people who wish to review the challenge threads won't see a lot of broken links Images submitted to the CGNetworks page correctly are the ones most likely to be viewed by the judges (it's easier to browse the gallery there, than to shuffle through hundreds of threads).So ... if you are currently adding images to your thread the typical "Post Reply" way, you are doing it incorrectly and should use the link above.

On this submission page, you will see the "Browse..." and "Submit" buttons I was referring to. I hope this clears up a lot of the problems.

Also, please look at the main page of the contest forums. You should see a bunch of links that are important underneath this banner:

http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgtalk/challengeimages/images/GSO_CGTalkHeader3_01.jpghttp://www.cgnetworks.com/cgtalk/challengeimages/images/GSO_CGTalkHeader3_02.gif

That look like this ...
http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgtalk/challengeimages/images/GSO_CGTalkHeader3_03.gif
Introduction - Short description of the contest Instructions - The nitty gritty details. Read it. Inspiration - Artists and Authors who have created work similar to the theme of this contest. Take a look if your not sure what a "Space Opera" is. Judging - How it's going to work and who'll be doing it. Prizes - What I suspect most people looked at before reading the rules and FAQ. :D Enter Challenge - For members wishing to enter the challenge (one entry per user in 2D and/or 3D category) Submit Entry - As already mentioned, should be used to upload all WIP and milestone images. View Entries - Take a look at what others have already submitted. (will be used by judges to view entries with all milestones completed). Entries Forum (2D or 3D) - Will direct you to CGTalk Challenge forums. FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions (this thread) Is here for a reason ... make sure you read through the thread before posting a new question. Chances are that your question may have already been asked and answered.

Arsyn - There will be an announcement when winners are selected by the judges. You will most likely recieve a deadline by the Admins if you are selected to write a feature of your work.

M477 - I don't see a problem with how you create your textures. Scan your dog if you think it will help with a texture. :D

Climax
10-23-2004, 06:52 PM
I had this problem (I'm assuming it's the same!).. I don't know if this is the proper way to do it, but to add images to your thread, go to the main screen and click 'submit entry' this will then take you to the screen you were on when you first submitted an image for the competition. Then select what milestone it is, repeat concept sketch if needs be and upload the image.

Job's a good'n

Hope this helps! :D
Thank u, I only wonder if this is the only way to upload my images 'cause is a little bit complicated, if it works then is fine, but people keep talking about "browse" button, i though it should be there whe i click on post reply but i seems not

If there is another way, please share it, i feel like an idiot going around this topic but i've been in cgtalk for a while now and still don't get why it has to be that tricky

• Ops i hadn't read your reply kirt, now i understand, Thank u very much for your time to explain what other people assumes i should allready know:shrug:

silencermh16
10-23-2004, 06:52 PM
thx for the explantion.
I had nowhere read soemthing about to take this way, but now it is clear for me :D

Kylebrn
10-23-2004, 09:51 PM
So does this mean we cannot link from our own site/webpage? At times I would like to consider showing off soething with more than the 150KB limit.Is it still possible? Thanks:)

Leonard
10-23-2004, 09:52 PM
So does this mean we cannot link from our own site/webpage? At times I would like to consider showing off soething with more than the 150KB limit.Is it still possible? Thanks:)
Please read the FAQ - you can link to your own site, but they are not counted towards the final WIP milestones. If it's not on our server, we don't count it.

Leonard
10-23-2004, 09:57 PM
thx for the explantion.
I had nowhere read soemthing about to take this way, but now it is clear for me :D
Kirt's explanation has always been in the instructions here:
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/instructions.php

cg219
10-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Not sure if this was asked already. But can more than one person win the Community Prize under the same subject.

For example 2 people winning the 3d challenge comunmty Award.

Kirt
10-23-2004, 11:04 PM
If 2 people win the Community Award, who do we ship the prize to?
I think your answer is going to be "no". But that's not my final answer. :D

SilentRage
10-24-2004, 01:30 AM
Are you allowed to use a model or parts of a model which you've started prior to your entry to the contest?

percydaman
10-24-2004, 01:46 AM
your not supposed to no.

windowlicker
10-24-2004, 02:52 AM
For 2D Illustrations:
Concept Sketch - JPG (online)
Line Art - JPG (online)
Coloring WIP - JPG (online)
Final Coloring - JPG (online)
Final Image - JPG (online) AND print resolution TIF (FTP)
Any challenger that does not submit the above images by 17 January 2005, will not quality for final judging
I don't do line art. I paint digitally without line art. What do i have to do qualify for the final judging?!

Luter
10-24-2004, 03:56 AM
Take a step you consider as a line art, don't worry about...it's your line art.

Chug
10-24-2004, 08:41 AM
Can we submit multiple pictures as milestones for concept sketch, modeling, etc... ? Or do we have only to upload the last and final picture we did for each milestone ?

Luter
10-24-2004, 01:42 PM
Of course you can..

Wiro
10-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Can we submit multiple pictures as milestones for concept sketch, modeling, etc... ? Or do we have only to upload the last and final picture we did for each milestone ?

Please read the FAQ on the first page.

Q: Do I tag every concept sketch uploaded as a milestone, or just THE final concept sketch.
A: Everything is a milestone until you do the final image.

Coltzero
10-24-2004, 03:46 PM
hey, i'am new to 3d, but I'am quite OK with 2d, can i make a 3d mesh/model, and put it in a 2d enviroment? (like a planet and astroidfields)

Hope so

- Freerk

Luter
10-24-2004, 03:53 PM
Read this thread, answer is in...:)

Coltzero
10-24-2004, 03:57 PM
i know, but what does mean stock plate?
(sorry, my english isn't very advanced yet (i'am 15 :)))

-Freerk

Wiro
10-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Stock plate means an unchanged picture from online, picture collections and libraries, etc
Yes, you can use 3d as a base for your picture but if you paint over most of it, you will have to enter it under the 2d challenge category.

Wiro

Coltzero
10-24-2004, 04:46 PM
aaw, some iam in the wrong challenge eyh?

Kosmos
10-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Hi I have a question, can the canvas be of a shape such as a Long poster or Panoramic as long as long as it stays within the pixel Limit

Citizen Suicide
10-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Artwork is not showing up at all in threads and most images aren't showing up in the submissions section for me, any ideas?

Wiro
10-24-2004, 05:08 PM
You're in the right category if it'll be mostly 3d which it looks to be now.
If you're planning on painting over everything later I'd say it's a 2D category but I'd recommend against it as I suspect the larger 2d community will consider this cheating.

If you are combining 2d and 3d then I think you can just keep it where it is now and hope the mixture goes down well with the public ;)

Wiro

Wiro
10-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Artwork is not showing up at all in threads and most images aren't showing up in the submissions section for me, any ideas?
Please refer to the FAQ:

Technical Support
For all registration errors, or technical errors while using the Challenge site, please PM Robert Mibus, our technical officer - username: mibus.

Wiro

chadtheartist
10-24-2004, 07:32 PM
Although I am really, really far from finishing my challenge entry, I wanted to ask a question.

Is it acceptable to use compositing with the 3D challenge? Or does it all have to be rendered at one time? The reason I ask is it will be easier for me if I can seperate the different planes, ie foreground, middleground, and backgrounds. Plus it will be easier to control the lighting, as I plan to use different lighting for each plane.

If we can't, I'll have to work around it.

Thanks,

Chad