PDA

View Full Version : Help : Need to convert normal map to displacement map

DarkMantid
10-18-2004, 08:14 AM
Hi guys ,

This is a bit of a desperate request does anyone know of a way to convert a Normal map to a Displacement map ?

Basically I have a low poly character with a normal map and id like to subdivide the mesh in my 3d app and use the normal map as a displacement map .

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

cheers

TVeyes
10-18-2004, 09:57 AM
Do you no longer have the detailed model in Zbrush? The simplest solution would of course be to generate the displacement map in Zbrush using that model but I guess that is not possible in your case?

There is no way to generate a displacement map from a normal map in Zbrush. A normal map can be generated from a displacement map but not the other way round. The reason is normal maps only contain vector/normal information but no depth information. A program or script could be made to calculate the depth based on the vectors/normals but that depth would not be the same as a proper displacement map, calculated from the low poly Vs high poly model.

Maybe someone else knows otherwise but from where I stand I cannot see it being possible.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.