PDA

View Full Version : fPrime error RAM

Larry_g1s
10-18-2004, 04:46 AM
I'm trying to render an image (single frame) in FPrime Render, but I keep getting an error while it's rendering. It stops during with an error widow: "Image saving failed, BUT your data may still exist in FPrime refine files! LightWave Image saer failed. This is likely RAM related."

The PC I'm running has a 1 Gig of ram. Can anyone help me out here?

cousin it
10-18-2004, 12:54 PM
Well, I'd go check in the default saver-path (or the one u specified prior to your render). Chances are you'll find a *.fprimedat file and a *.rawhdr file in there. If so I'm sure u could coax fprime into reloading that information (I'm thinking by setting up a sequence in f-prime, and directing him to the same folder...
Anyways there's, unfortunately, lots of ways to make your ram-consumption grow to more than 1 gig these days; a lw-scene takes up it's share, so does fprime, so does calculating subdivided meshes, polygon-sorting, etc. ...

Qexit
10-18-2004, 12:57 PM
FPrime can use quite a lot of RAM, so you may be exceeding your memory capacity. So the first thing to check would be in Task Manager during the render to see how much RAM is actually being gobbled up.

If you were using FPrime Render rather than FPrime Preview to generate the image, then they could/should be two data files on your hard drive containing all the render information up to the point when FPrime attempted to save out the image. If you rerun the render and these files exist then FPrime should go straight to saving out the image without rerendering everything.

If you could provide a bit more information about the image you were attempting to generate it would be helpful, e.g. what size image, what format were you trying to save to, what O/S ? There are quite a few variables to deal with here.

Larry_g1s
10-18-2004, 04:31 PM
Chances are you'll find a *.fprimedat file and a *.rawhdr file in there.
I know where they're at, but when I bring them in to FPrime to just try and get it to save an image, it doesn't do anything with them. :banghead:

FPrime can use quite a lot of RAM, so you may be exceeding your memory capacity. So the first thing to check would be in Task Manager during the render to see how much RAM is actually being gobbled up.
If you could provide a bit more information about the image you were attempting to generate it would be helpful, e.g. what size image, what format were you trying to save to, what O/S ? There are quite a few variables to deal with here.
That's what I did last night (re: task manager), oh yeah, I'm eating a lot of Ram. Like I said, I have a 1 gig, and this is at 1.31-1.36 gigs while it's going. But I don't know what to do, that's the scene. The image size is only at 800x600, and at a jpeg format. It's running on a P4 3Ghz processor, with an ATI 9800 Pro graphics card, with Windows XP.

Is there any other way I can get the image to show from the .fprimedat & .rawhdr files? I've still got 4 other shots I've gotta render. Thanks a bunch guys for your help, this isn't your problem and I appreciate your help.

In Christ,

Larry <><

cousin it
10-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Image format and graphics card don't come into it, I'm afraid. Come render time, what matters (ram-wise) is number of points/polys, vertex maps/morphmaps , filesize of the images loaded into the scene (and lightwave 'uncompresses' most formats, these days...), size of the shadowmaps, etc.

2 options:
1. Optimize your scenes (remove unnecessary geometry, remove unnecessary vertex maps/morphmaps, switch shadowmapped spotlights to raytraced (arealights, if render time is not an issue), freeze subdivided geometry wherever possible, reduce resolution of images used in the scene etc.
2. Split the scene up in layers (e.g.: foreground, midplane, background) and reassemble it in comp

Qexit
10-18-2004, 05:01 PM
OK, checked back through posts to the WorleyLabs YahooGroups mailing list. Someone else had the same error message, so a couple of other things to check. How much disk space have you got on the drive you are writing your files to ? Also, have you tried rebooting your system in between renders ? Some of LWs image savers require contigious memory and your memory could have become fragmented, similar to the way hard drives do, after you have been using it for while without rebooting.

Larry_g1s
10-18-2004, 05:28 PM
OK, checked back through posts to the WorleyLabs YahooGroups mailing list. Someone else had the same error message, so a couple of other things to check. How much disk space have you got on the drive you are writing your files to ? Also, have you tried rebooting your system in between renders ? Some of LWs image savers require contigious memory and your memory could have become fragmented, similar to the way hard drives do, after you have been using it for while without rebooting. Yeah, I've tried that (rebooting). Though it did get me further in the render, when it came time to save the image, it'd still come up with the error. I've got plenty of harddrive space, I believe I've got a 120 Gig HD, and only used about 40gigs.

2. Split the scene up in layers (e.g.: foreground, midplane, background) and reassemble it in comp That doesn't sound like to bad an option, how would I go abouts doing that?

Some else I remember posted a way to view the FPrime files in LW, anyone know how?

Qexit
10-18-2004, 06:25 PM
Some else I remember posted a way to view the FPrime files in LW, anyone know how? You can download an FPrime Viewer utility from here :

http://cohen-plugs.tripod.com/#fprime

That might be the one you were thinking of. No other suggestions on yor main problem though. Have you signed up to the YahooGroups mailing list yet ? Others on the list may have found workarounds to the problem.

Larry_g1s
10-18-2004, 06:43 PM
You can download an FPrime Viewer utility from here :

http://cohen-plugs.tripod.com/#fprime

That might be the one you were thinking of. No other suggestions on yor main problem though. Have you signed up to the YahooGroups mailing list yet ? Others on the list may have found workarounds to the problem. Hey thanks! I checked out that viewer, but it doesn't seem to want to let me use the fprime files. :banghead:

Where do I sign up to the YahooGroups mailing list? I'd to check it out.

ColinCohen
10-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Hey thanks! I checked out that viewer, but it doesn't seem to want to let me use the fprime files. :banghead:

It wasn't intended for reading those special FPrime files, which are in a proprietary format, but for viewing image files in realtime as they are updated by FPrime.

Larry_g1s
10-18-2004, 07:09 PM
It wasn't intended for reading those special FPrime files, which are in a proprietary format, but for viewing image files in realtime as they are updated by FPrime.
Gotcha. How does it work different from me just clicking on the file of the actual image it's saving?

So is there any way to view the FPrime files?

Triple G
10-18-2004, 07:18 PM
You don't want to view the .fprimedat and .rawhdr files. What you want to do is load up FPrime Render again and tell it to render to the exact same location as before. It will ask you if you want to refine or overwrite the image(s) in the directory...tell it you want to refine. I'm not sure if this will help your RAM situation or not, but that's the purpose of those files anyway. They're pretty much just internal logs for FPrime so it can keep track of progress it's made.

Larry_g1s
10-18-2004, 07:22 PM
You don't want to view the .fprimedat and .rawhdr files. What you want to do is load up FPrime Render again and tell it to render to the exact same location as before. It will ask you if you want to refine or overwrite the image(s) in the directory...tell it you want to refine. I'm not sure if this will help your RAM situation or not, but that's the purpose of those files anyway. They're pretty much just internal logs for FPrime so it can keep track of progress it's made. I tried that. :cry: It still doesn't save the image. Man, this is sooo frustrating. I've gotta get this and multiple other shots to a client.

EDIT: You know what, this is crazy, I think I'm just better off buying more RAM. Thanks for everyones help.

Qexit
10-18-2004, 08:21 PM
I tried that. :cry: It still doesn't save the image. Man, this is sooo frustrating. I've gotta get this and multiple other shots to a client. Silly question, but have you tried rendering it in LW on its own using F10 ? I know FPrime is faster than LW a lot of the time but there are circumstances, including some large scenes, when LW is just as fast if not faster. Just a thought.

EDIT: You know what, this is crazy, I think I'm just better off buying more RAM. Thanks for everyones help. Well, that would be one answer. However, there is no absolute guarantee that increasing the RAM will cure the problem. How big is your scene file with objects ? I would be willing to try it on my system which has 1.5GB RAM if you want ?

As for the YahooGroups list, there is a link to sign up at the bottom lefthand side of the Worley Labs website homepage.

Larry_g1s
10-18-2004, 09:25 PM
Silly question, but have you tried rendering it in LW on its own using F10 ? I know FPrime is faster than LW a lot of the time but there are circumstances, including some large scenes, when LW is just as fast if not faster. Just a thought.

Well, that would be one answer. However, there is no absolute guarantee that increasing the RAM will cure the problem. How big is your scene file with objects ? I would be willing to try it on my system which has 1.5GB RAM if you want ?

As for the YahooGroups list, there is a link to sign up at the bottom lefthand side of the Worley Labs website homepage.
Hey, I actually just got back from buying RAM. I got from CompUSA, 2 512 Mb sticks for $94 with a $30 mail-in rebate each. So for both $130, for another gig of RAM. I appreciate the offer though, this community is very unique and helpfull. Thanks again.

In Christ's love,

Larry <><

Qexit
10-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Ah...these people with money to burn :applause: I hope the extra memory does the trick. Do make sure to let us know how it works out.

Larry_g1s
10-18-2004, 10:32 PM
Ah...these people with money to burn :applause: I hope the extra memory does the trick. Do make sure to let us know how it works out. lol...believe me, it's not money to burn. It's just that if I don't get this working and rendered for the client in a couple of days, I don't get paid.

I guess it's that old saying, "It takes money to make money."

I'll let you guys know if it worked.

Qexit
10-18-2004, 10:48 PM
lol...believe me, it's not money to burn. It's just that if I don't get this working and rendered for the client in a couple of days, I don't get paid.
I thought so :) The offer is still there to try the scene on my setup if you are still having problems even with the extra RAM though. Just remember, I am in the UK though so there is a time difference. It's nearly midnight here.

architook
10-19-2004, 05:06 AM
That error was discussed on the Worley Labs mail list months back..
it's the LW image savers needing a big block of RAM in one piece. You may have 500MB free, but not in the one big chunk LW asks for. It's RAM fragmentation, not running out of RAM.

This bites us every now and then, on both our 1 and 2 GB machines, when doing hires renders.

Our solution is first to reduce the LW RAM, usually from really big image maps. We just downsize them to half-size as necessary. This is a lot easier than model changes! Changing a 2K map to 1K will save 300MB of RAM!

The other trick was posted on the group is to try to get around the contiguous RAM fragmentation by rebooting, loading the scene, and immediately rendering. Don't do anything else, just jump right into render.

The rendered picture is done, and stored in that HDR file, but LW just can't save it as a JPG. So when you refine it, the rendered pic will come right out.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.