PDA

View Full Version : Scotts New PC: Mobo's Compaired

/\>Scott M C4D</\
10-18-2004, 05:08 AM
Hi dudes,
Am weighing up the decisions i made on the specification of the new AMD Athlon 3500 64 system that will arrive tomorrow.
I dont have any regrets on buying a new Athlon 64 system based on the 939 chipset but i am questioning the choice of Mobo i have chosen.

I have been reading up on the specifications in more detail since i phoned up my suppllier to order and am finding in regard to over-clocking it very limited as it lacks the PCI lock that one other Mobo i found has this for about the same price. The board i have bought is the ASUS Deluxe A8V Wifi g and the board i am comparing it to is the Abit A8V 3rd Eye with the add on monitor.

The Abit is better at over-clocking and has that funky LCD thing but at the time of purchasing the ASUS,over-clocking was not on my list of prioritys but with so much hype about overclocking and such i feel i may have made the wrong desision on the mobo.
The standard rate of the Abit is slower than the ASUS standard rate( FSB 336Mhz Abit- 400Mhz FSB ASUS) without overclocking and the Asus has includes a Pci Wifi WireLess LAN card and more features like 8 Channel Surround Sound to the Abits 6.

The Asus has a few more connections like a Midi/game Port (needed for my music creation keyboard link unless i use separate soundcard),and a Coaxiel out. It has 4 fire wire ports to the Abits 3,\and 5 Raid Ports capable to the Abits 2 />.ASUS has EIDE ports: 3 (1 x Raid capable) S-ATA: 4 (Raid capable) in comparison to the Abits 2 EIDE Ports (no raid) and 2 S-ATA (Raid capable).

The Abit does however have S/PDIF input where as the Asus has only S/PDIF output but has a coxail to make up for that which i mentioned earlyer that the Abit don't.(And so if you have a cinema system you can connect it up). Asus has 2- 2x Molex to S-ATA cables for extras and WinDVD Suite software..

Thats a run down of the features and what i initialy influenced me to base my judgement on with my decision to go with ASUS board. More features and a quick base benchmark score without overclocking and a recomended Award in a few of the magazines i have read.
The Abit in one of the magazines won the overall mark due to the faster over-clocking speed and PCI lock and on the fly overclocking without rebooting feature and Third Eye LCD screen.Revision 1 of the Asus Mobo i does not have PCI lock and i suspect this is the same board i am getting. I heard that Asus has included this PCI lock feature on the R2 boards but i dont have many details on this.

The situation i am faced with is buy the Abit Third Eye Mobo with 3500 chip and/or move the 3500 Chip from the Asus to the Abit mobo or sell the ASUS board with 3500 chip together for a reasonable.price. Like 50 less.
Or i could just stick with the ASUS board and not bother with overclocking with another Mobo.

Anyone buy a brand new 3500 CPU and ASUS Wifi board for 300 ?
Who knows what i should do,is over-clocking that important for 3D Graphics ,games,music creation or are features more of a benifit?

ps i cant cancle the order as it would be 140 for the restocking fee for the pc which would be a stupid idea to contemplate.
Maybe i should be happy what i have bought.

LucentDreams
10-18-2004, 05:25 AM
OKay I've been quite lenient about these, but after a long thread like this and all the recent hardware discussions, I'm goin to at least interject and point this out. This is a CINEMA 4D Forum. Not a Hardware forum. I'm leaving a link to this in the cinema 4D section and moving it where it belongs. If its a hardware issue specific to cinema 4D like will an ATI 9600 work with cinema 4D then its fine, but this has nothing to do with cinema 4D whatsoever. Its a general hardware discussion and thus belongs in CGTALKS Hardware specific Forum.

/\>Scott M C4D</\
10-18-2004, 05:31 AM
Didnt notice it was c4d forum sorry,ment to post in the hardware forum.

lots
10-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Why bother overclocking? Aside from the bragging rites..

log0n
10-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Same.. just my $.02 but stability is more important than performance when stability is at the expense of performance.

:buttrock:

lots
10-19-2004, 01:47 AM
Well not only that, but how much do you REALLY gain from the OC?

I OC'd my Athlon XP 2100 to about 1.9 GHz (couldnt hit 2GHz due to my mobo revision), and used it for quite some time (a few months). Then I used the chip at stock speeds (1.73 GHz) and there's hardly any difference. Sure the higher clock was faster, but its not so noticable in the real world..

Plus, the system feels more stable running at stock speeds ;)

/\>Scott M C4D</\
10-19-2004, 03:04 AM
Well , Lotts ,i tke your point but you cant help feeling you missing out on something that every review concentrates on.
It's easy to look upon your decisions after you have read more after the fact. It was the easyest option to buy the bundled componants as a package without worrying about compatibility with heatsinks and fans with CPU's and stuff. I chose the spec from what i saw on the suppliers site and the recommended award in a few magazines. Over-clocking wasnt an issue i was interested or really aware of in at the time of purchase as it not something i have done or thought about too much,never mind doing it.
Will it make much difference ? I guess it does but how long would your CPU last, i dont know.

lots
10-19-2004, 04:30 AM
well with the pace of the market.. the CPU should last you to at least ur next upgrade assuming that is 2 or 3 years off. Its just interesting to see how much of a difference it actually makes. I built my system with OC'ing being an option if i wanted to take it. Its completly stable at the OC'd speed, I just personally havnt noticed much of a difference, so i stopped OCing my chip since it wasnt earning me any real world gains that were obvious. Though, im sure the benchmarks would have been better :) Real world application performance isnt dictated by benchmarks unfortunately..

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.