PDA

View Full Version : Mac or PC for game modelling?

obelisk
10-18-2004, 01:38 AM
Hey guys. I'm currently running lightwave on a Mac, and it's time to trade up. I'm looking at either building a PC, or picking up a 12"G4 Mac lappie to hook up to my Mitsubishi Diamondtron CRT. Money is an issue, but flexibility is probably more important. I know I can run Lightwave or Maya on a mac, but It seems that Max is bigger in games, and XSI is making inroads too. Any advice on this dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

-O

Hugh-Jass
10-18-2004, 01:57 AM
pc.. if you're looking to do anything professionally

there are often intermediary tools in pipelines that are seldom mac based as well

Vertizor
10-18-2004, 05:17 PM
How do I do this without Mac users lunging at my throat? (I own an iBook btw)

If money is an issue, and if what you want to focus on is low-poly game models, my vote goes for XSI. I'm currently playing with the 30-day trial. First make up your mind about what new computer to get, and if you happen to choose PC, check out the trial for XSI. Buying Foundations will only be roughly $500 and that gives you a modeler, UV tools, animation tools, an SDK to write your own exporters or use various plugins. Basically everything you need to create game art.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.