PDA

View Full Version : Would u buy a Quadro FX 500 or a Geforce 6800 GT?

NoSeRider
10-18-2004, 01:08 AM
I can buy a nVidia Quadro FX 500 128MB AGP Video Card w/DVI for $ 181.00.

I like modeling in Maya, so I don't use my computer for just games.

However, I've read on the internet that a nVidia Quadro FX 500 128MB AGP Video Card is just a sooped up Geforce 5200 card.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=165417

This thread is really an extension of this thread.

I've gotten feedback that the Geforce 6800 works well with Maya, but usually workstation cards are preferred.......but if you get good performance with a game card.....oh well.

BillSpradlin
10-18-2004, 08:28 AM
6800GT all the way. It performs on par with a Quadro FX 1100.

ambient-whisper
10-18-2004, 09:35 AM
nah it doesnt.

after doing a buncha tests in the studio, we had put a quadrofx 3000 against a radeon 9800. the radeon kicked the quadros butt in i think every benchmark ( not by large margins, but it still won ). yet every benchmark that i see on the web tells that the 6800 is faster than any ati card.

i personally wouldnt get a quadro fx 500.

evo_supra
10-18-2004, 12:41 PM
It's a little wierd tho how...if all these gamer cards (6800GT myself) are just as good as workstations cards (lower/mid range), why they bothering to sell lower end workstations cards anyway?

stephen2002
10-18-2004, 01:39 PM
I've gotten feedback that the Geforce 6800 works well with Maya, but usually workstation cards are preferred.......but if you get good performance with a game card.....oh well.
I have used Maya with a 6800GT. It seems to preform good however it does have the isoparm selection bug where if you click and drag to create a new isoparm it dosn't clear the red line, it just leaves a streak on your model until you release the mouse button, then it clears.

Quadro = everything works, nothing is broken, texture filtering is considerably better,but it might be slower
GeForce = probably faster, some things may be broken, texture filtering isn't quite as good unless you really crank it up and turn off all of the "optimisations", in which case they match.

I personally went from a Quadro to a GeForce because I was unhappy with my game preformance, and I tend to spend more time in games than 3D apps. My complete thoughts here (http://www.solarflarestudios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=216).

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.