PDA

View Full Version : MB & BIOS drivers installation, standard?

javierdl
10-18-2004, 12:55 AM
Is it an standard practice to install mobo & BIOS drivers when doing a clean OS install?
This is something I always overlooked, so I normally just go ahead with the OS installation, and I won't bother with the MB & BIOS drivers unless something doesn't work later on. But it just ocurred to me that I may have to change my ways, should I?

Thanks in advance,

DPC

Tarrbot
10-18-2004, 03:42 AM
Your best bet is to always install the chipset drivers.

You'd never use a video card with generic drivers, would you?

Why would you want generic drivers for your chipset when the chipset is the heart of the motherboard...which is the heart of the entire computer?

Updated drivers are your best bet, IMO.

lots
10-18-2004, 04:48 AM
Though, when it comes to bios updates, i'd leave them alone unless something is just not working, or some aspect of performance is increased.

Ordibble-Plop
10-18-2004, 05:15 AM
There are not really BIOS drivers per se as the BIOS is software that resides on the Mobo itself. If you have updated the BIOS in the past (which as said should really only ever be done if you have a problem that can't be fixed otherwise), then installing a new OS will not affect it in any way.

javierdl
10-18-2004, 06:50 AM
I am glad I asked :)
This really clarifies many doubts.

Thanks a bunch guys :)

DPC

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.