PDA

View Full Version : Symetry Map & Updates

allawy
08-17-2002, 10:48 PM
Hi;

I'm just learning how to use symetry map in XSI, now I have a Polygon mesh, and this polygon mesh is simple now, let's say a cube, I choosed properties, and we have a symetry map, wonderful, now I adjest few points here and there, I choose an edge and subDivide it, new pointes, wonderful! try to move them they are not symetrical :), ok, so I discovered a symetry cluster, I delete it and now I choose Symetry Map again from the menus, a new cluster and the points are symitrical this time.

my question is (as you have concluded), any easy way to do this without delete the cluster and re create it again? something like dynamic update?

Thanks.

I couldn't resist these smiles sorry:wavey:

dmonk
08-18-2002, 03:54 AM
just delete one half of the mesh and make an instance. Scale the intsance negative in the direction to make it symetrical and the work it the same as sym but better because you can etrude and add points and edges. when everything is how you want it then merge the two halfs and delete the resulting clusters.

I do it all the time.

In my experience symetry map is only good when I have to do something like morph targets for facial animations and stuff like that because you can turn it on and off

Good luck post how it works out.:thumbsup: :wavey:

allawy
08-18-2002, 01:49 PM
Thanks it works, but I wanted to use Sym. Map, still do :), is there any good tutorial on how to use refrences? If I want to model a car or a char.? what should I do and how. I don't want to come up with things from playing around, I want to model real things.

Thanks Agin.

dmonk
08-18-2002, 03:46 PM
www.suurland.com , www.edharriss.com and one of the tutoirals in the self-paced learning section on softimage.com

Why do you need the symetry map? Your not gonna get it to work the way you want, but oh well.:shrug:

allawy
08-18-2002, 04:00 PM
Thanks on the links, I don't want Sym. Map, I just wonder why it act like this, it should be better, I mean should be real symetry, anyway, I'm really thankfull for your reply, I'm thinking to start to model a car using one of the blue prints I found it the first site.

allawy
08-18-2002, 05:17 PM
You know what, I think your way is better, cause it really give me more control, and I can even cut and add new stuff to the both halfs in the same time, I thank you allot, but, I think I need to see if it will merg right when it's finally done.

Thanks Again:applause:

dmonk
08-18-2002, 08:30 PM
the only thing about merging is that it has to be directly on the axis or the edges have to meet up

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.