PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush tip for Maya users!!

lostlittleboy
10-17-2004, 08:51 PM
Don't use any Mayafiltering on your normal maps!! :eek: (the drop down menu at the top of "file" attribute, which is set to Quadratic by default)

If you do, you can get some nasty glitches on the surface of your model when you render it, especially with the higher filtering methods (ie Gaussian).

Took me ages to figure out why my render looked so glitchy! :rolleyes:

Sorry if this is old news to you guys, I'm new to the whole ZBrush/Maya pipeline thing...

DimitrisLiatsos
10-22-2004, 02:51 PM
Interesting...i have to look on that . Thanks for the info.
By the way did u try different types of filtering the image in Maya?

DimitrisLiatsos
10-27-2004, 01:11 PM
U were right ....the best result u can get only if u close Maya filtering....

Wierd though ...it must have some logical explanation

Branko
10-28-2004, 03:02 AM
Don't use any Mayafiltering on your normal maps!! :eek: (the drop down menu at the top of "file" attribute, which is set to Quadratic by default)

Is that where it's located in Zbrush, or in Maya?

DimitrisLiatsos
10-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Maya friend...in the texture node of an image used . :)

Branko
10-28-2004, 12:20 PM
Thank you LostLittleBoy and Dimitris, much appreciated *grin*

-rasdasa

Marcel
10-31-2004, 03:06 PM
Are you using Zbrush to create the UV coordinates of the mesh? Doesn't use Zbrush use face mapping? (every face has is own spot on the uvmap and isn't connected to the other faces)

I can images that the filtering of the texturemap creates lots of inaccuracy on the borders of faces when they are not connected. Since the face mapping creates lots of border this might be a problem. Or does this problem also occur when you create the UV coordinates in Maya and export it to Zbrush?

DimitrisLiatsos
10-31-2004, 07:11 PM
@ Marcel....forgiveme i don't exactly understand what u are saying..please say it with other words...sorry :sad:

Marcel
10-31-2004, 08:12 PM
Have you create the uv-coordinates (the way the texture is mapped onto the model) in Maya or in Zbrush?

If you use the Zbrush 'UV Tiles' (every polygon mapped to a small square in the texturemap http://www.3dlinks.com/oldsite/tutorials/ZBrush/brilliant/Tutorial6_files/Fig_0003.jpg ) then I can imagine Maya has trouble rendering the image without artifacts. The texture filtering takes multiple samples in the texture, and around the borders it gets inaccurate. So the more texture borders you have, the more errors you'll get.

I'm not sure if this is the problem, it's just a guess. You can try to use planar/cylindrical or spherical mapping, and see if you'll also have the problem.

DimitrisLiatsos
10-31-2004, 08:19 PM
When i make the UV layout in Maya , go to ZBrush ...paint and then back to Maya...i don't notice anything wierd...but now u got me thinking if i have to test this again..thanks :)

Marcel
11-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Ok, then that's not the problem for sure :)

Dave3D
11-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Hmm didnt change anythin, i am still gettin that wierd flat shading.

:shrug:

Dave

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.