PDA

View Full Version : Need Help:Bleach Bypass:Minority report Look

Stonefist
10-17-2004, 03:51 PM
I was wondering if someone could Gimme some Help, I am trying to get the "Bleach Bypass" Look as seen in the film "Minority Report by Steven Speilberg".

I checked a Site describing what was used in the film But that is a Film Process, and I need a Lightwave solution, as that is what I will be creating My short with. I want to get a blue feel with the Same type of washed Out pale on the charecters faces, as well as that Noir Grain Look.

Any Help would be appreciated... Thanx in advance

Serif
10-17-2004, 04:14 PM
In all honesty, I think you're best bet would be to partner with someone who has After Effects/Premiere with the DFT 55mm plugin. Digital Film Tools has an awesome bleach bypass filter. I have used it many times with great success. I'm just not aware of any plugins that can do this for Lightwave. Perhaps someone else does... and if so, I hope they list it.

BTW, bleach bypass was also used in Saving Private Ryan.

I might possibly be able to help you if the file sizes are not on a collossal scale.

This is what I can do with Bleach Bypass.

http://www.cghaus.com/misc/bbypass.jpg

angel
10-17-2004, 05:13 PM
I'm with Serif, do it in post. but if you absolutely need to have it done in LW I would try a combination of Corona, luminosity gradients and maybe making a custom black shader that can be applied to surfaces independetly to isolate the surfaces you need bleached.

Another possible affordable solution is to render a shadow pass and see how usable is that in AFX with one of the blend modes, you can use levels to fine tune the bright areas.

Stonefist
10-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Serif, Thanx This could be just what I need. I actually have Premeire Pro, Just got it as a Gift.

Havn't started Looking at Pluggins Just yet. I also have After effects.

I will Look at the Film tools 55 Thing you spoke of. That would be just what I need.

I am Going for a certain Visual Artistic stlye with My first Short Film. and I think/Feel that The BBP look will give me what I need.
And thank you for the offer, But the trenders will be CPU intensive. I ahve already Compiled a 5 machine Mini RenderFarm. so that once I get rolling I will not have to slow down My Modeling and animating I can just let the machines Go and render all the frames for me.

I will keep eveyone Posted. I will be Trying to create a site so as to Post WIP and a BLOG.

Possibly stir up Curiosity In the Project.

Again thanx all To those whom Answered and offered there help.

SplineGod
10-17-2004, 05:49 PM
If you have to do it in Lightwave I would look at using the wavefilter plugin, textured filter or any of the other built in filters LW has. :)

Limbus
10-17-2004, 06:03 PM
You might want to look at the virtual darkroom in LW. Its a pixel filter.

Florian

leigh
10-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Do it in post! It will save you a lot of headaches :)

ColinCohen
10-17-2004, 06:11 PM
Here's a tutorial on how to do it without plugins:

http://www.dmnforums.com/cgi-bin/viewarticle.cgi?id=25010

Stonefist
10-17-2004, 06:14 PM
OMG

Larry and Leigh here in My Post... Im :bounce:

yeah Leigh I have decided to Go Post. Im Gonna Buy the DFT Pluggin. and do It with that.

BTW how have you been Leigh Long time no speak. Also I found Your book to be a Great Help.

Any word on a second Title? :)

Well anyway im a long way from Post, still in Pre Production. Just thought I would gather the needed Information and skills Prior to needing them.

Stonefist
10-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Thanx Collin that was a great Tut. I will definately Print this Out and use it when the Time omes In post.

Would you suggest that I then use some from of Noir (film grain) Plugg or Filter to the Image afterwards?

leigh
10-18-2004, 07:21 AM
BTW how have you been Leigh Long time no speak. Also I found Your book to be a Great Help.
Any word on a second Title? :)

I've been good thanks :) Busy, but good. Glad you enjoyed my book! There is indeed another one to follow... but I'm not giving out any details on it yet :D

Julez4001
10-19-2004, 03:22 AM
Leigh, are you using XSI now at your day job or personal use?

leigh
10-19-2004, 05:58 AM
At the moment I am fulltime freelance and I'm using it for work and personal stuff :)

uncon
10-19-2004, 07:38 PM
There is the virtual darkroom plug-in inside lightwave. It can do some amazing film emulation work. I think it works with the floating point image data so it can do some things post fixes can't. The problem is that it would be better to tweek it in post, that way you can fine-tune it.

Limbus
10-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Hi,
I figured out an easy way to do it without any plugins. Photoshop or any Compositing Tool will do. This is for Photoshop:

- select the layer with the image
- add a "channel mixer" adjustment layer
- set red, green and blue to somthing like +50%, +25% and +25% (you can tweak this later)
- check the monochrome box at the bottom and hit "Ok"
- Set the blending mode of the layer to "hard light"

Now you can tweak the channel mixer settings.

If you want more color in your image, use a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and tweak the master Saturation level. Something between -60% - -80% is a good start.

Florian

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.