PDA

View Full Version : Windows Device Failure???

kiri
10-17-2004, 07:20 AM
Hi, I just came back to my computer to find that the screen was totally garbled and at a very low resolution with a error dialog saying something like: "Windows has detected a device failure. To restore full functionality, reboot your system".

So I rebooted, and everything looks ok at the moment... but, I've never seen anything like that before, anyone know what it might be???
I thought my video card had expired at first, but seems to be ok now.
I have up-to-date virus protection and firewall installed, so hopefully its not that.

I'd appreciate any advice on the matter.
thanks

Tarrbot
10-17-2004, 01:05 PM
We need more info. What OS? What hardware specs do you have? What versions of drivers are you running?

Were you running anything at the time when you left and came back?

kiri
10-17-2004, 01:52 PM
windows XP pro sp1

AMD athlon xp 2400+ 2ghz
1gb RAM

NVidia Geforce 4 ti 4200
driver 5303

Nothing special running. Just mail, web browser, etc.
Never seen an error like that, but it seemed to be hardware.
When i first rebooted windows, the voice alert (comes on when booting) stated that the memory check failed.
But then it booted fine, and when i restarted again, there were no more alerts...

illuminus
10-17-2004, 02:05 PM
I had a similar error when I first got my new system. It turned out to be my video drivers which were not the latest version. My understanding is that driver issues often cause symptoms like the ones you have experienced.

It might be worthwhile to go through the device list on your system and check the versions on each driver. Compare this with the latest released by the maufacturer. This is tedious to be sure, but it may save you some grief down the road.

Hope this helps ...

peanuckle
10-17-2004, 02:20 PM
I had that problem with my mouse when using a hub. I dont really think that it is that massive of an error you just reboot. I would check to make sure that your drivers are all up to date and check online to see if some conflict each other.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.