PDA

View Full Version : Reparenting bones to other objects...

michaelb
10-17-2004, 01:08 AM
Hi,
I don't remember seeing this before, so pardon me if this is a repeat of something already well known. I was just playing around with an idea I got while reading Timothy Albee's LW 7.5 character animation book. He said that if you used LW 6, you could reparent the bones from one object onto another object, and they would still affect the first object, even if you opened the scene file in a later version of LW. LW 8 always gave me an error message that "Bones must remain under the object they belong to." I know other programs offer this ability to switch parents, so I did an experiment, and I think it worked. You will have to try it for yourself and see if it holds up under harder use. All I did was create a box and two nulls, then place bones into the box shape. I lined up the nulls with the origin of 2 of the bones, and then saved the file. I used a text editor to open the .lws file, and with Layout still opened, I used LScript Commander to select the different nulls to get their Item identification number. I flipped back to my text editor, and paged down to the place where it indicated the bones' ParentItem number. I changed it from the box's ParentItem number to the null I wanted to use, saved the file and gave it a whirl. It seemed to work fine.:)
If you think this might come in handy, you are welcome to it. It doesn't seem to be all that hard to do. Maybe someone smarter than me could even automate the process by putting it into an LScript. (Hint, hint. :))

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.