PDA

View Full Version : Reflection Channel and Human Skin

Grey
08-17-2002, 04:30 PM
Leigh mentions Reflection in her latest tutorial and I was wondering if anyone has experimented with using reflections to help give Human Skin more realism with or without SubSurfaceScattering...

sean_G
08-18-2002, 07:07 AM
you can do it but just make sure your gloss is high, you have a good reflection map that is REALLY subdued in all areas except forehead, and cheeks, and have plenty of time to tweak.

BTW reflectivity in this instance is meant as a substitute for specularity, ---not subsurface scattering. if you want to fake that effect try some subtle transluscency mapping.

what Program do you use??.... there are plenty of plug-ins that actually DO SSS.

Grey
08-18-2002, 07:16 AM
the effect I have seemed to come out okay.

I'm using Cinema4D with Chanlum (an SSS simulator, not actual SSS) and did 3% reflection with 25% dispersal plus specularity.

I posted the results in the cinema forum...

Grey
08-19-2002, 12:21 AM
okay, it seems that the 3% reflection I was using was too much.

I reduced that to 1% and increased the blur to 75% and now I think I have resluts I can live with...

psil
08-19-2002, 08:01 AM
just keeping this one open - was hoping for more info...

Don't know if you saw this, Grey, but here's an interesting example of what you're talking about: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10441

tho personally I think the real reflections are the least successful part of Kholer's renders

I've tried it myself, but found that i had to break up the reflection map with so much noise and blur the reflections so much that the end result just looked like specularity.

Ulf Lundgren gets stunning results with reflective skin http://www.raph.com/3dartists/artgallery/ag-ap143.html

anyone else tried it?

Grey
08-19-2002, 02:26 PM
I agree somewhat about Köhler's renders, but they look very real to me in that if you emptied a bottle of johnson's baby oil onto a woman's face, that's pretty close to what it would look like.

I'm not going for that effect, of course (thought I'd love to know exactly how to get there).

I've begun using reflection in combination with specularity more... reducing reflection and blurring it then overlaying specularity...

On the images I posted I don't have a bump map applied as their main purpose was to test the ChanLum plugin for Cinema... but since it succeeded this far, I think I'll continue and try to get as close to real as I can...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.