PDA

View Full Version : how do i set up a dual display??

rob-beddall
10-16-2004, 04:45 PM
hey!!

i recently bought a new monitor and so i was hoping to get a dual display up and running. the only problem is that i have no idea how to do this.

i'm away at uni and i left the instruction book for the Gfx card at home. so be gentle.

i have a Nvidia ti 4200 card. 1x 22" crt monitor and another crt 17"
so the question is... how do i connect the 2nd monitor to the card?

there is only one of the rectangular shaped sockets on the back of the card.
but there is also a round hole and a longer rectangle socket. so which bit of kit do i need to go out and buy to put in the round hole to get another crt working.?? ( i looked for info on the Nvidia site but couldn't find anything)

also . is there a chance of damaging the card due to over heating or anything?
i will only be using a dual display for max. 1 screen for viewport and the other for menu's probably. the 22" runs at 1200x1600 85hz and the other runs at 1248x1024.

cheers!!

brzilian
10-16-2004, 06:01 PM
Sounds like you have a regular analog 15-pin RGB connector, DVI and S-Video out. In order to connect your 2nd monitor, you would need a DVI to 15-analog RGB adapter. The S-Video out is useless for computer monitors and is used to get video to a regular TV set.

dotTom
10-16-2004, 09:27 PM
Another question is just how much RAM you have on this card because by the sounds of it you're going to be running these CRTs at "bleeding eyes" resolution. You may well find given the rig you describe that you'll have a better time with DirectX on both screens if you lower the resolution, i.e. more video memory for double buffering etc.

CGI tends to encourage long hours, if it's a passion you often don't realise until you're reaching for the pain-killers just how long. If you can't afford to get some TFT panels then I would seriously suggest lowering your CRT resolution. Having two screens will let you put your attribute palettes on the smaller screen giving you a lot of viewport pixels.

rob-beddall
10-20-2004, 10:38 AM
hey!!

thanks for the replies guys.
the GFX card has 128 mb memory.
i usually spend upto 20 hours at a time doing 3d stuff for uni but i've never suffered from a head ache as yet so as long as the card can handle it i might just stick with those. ( unless i start getting performance issues)

on my way to the shop now to get a dvi adaptor ( hope they aint too expensive)

cheers!!

lots
10-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Good luck actually finding the DVI to VGA adaptor.. No local store here had one. One store even told me they dont exist. Luckily I knew better ;)

uncon
10-20-2004, 10:50 PM
Another option is to add a PCI video card if you have one laying around and plug your second monitor into that.

rob-beddall
10-21-2004, 01:53 PM
hey!!

oh yeah. never even thought of that. unfortunately i don't have one.

and ..... holy potatoes. i looked in the shops for a cable and they are like 50.
how come they are so expensive??
needless to say i didn't buy one. looks like i will have to stick with my single display.

cheers!!

Son_of_Skeletor
10-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Dual displays are cool dude, don't despair over the costs.

uncon
10-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Ask around and see if you can get an older video card from someone. You could offer someone a beer and they would probably give you their old PCI card. Geeks rarely throw anything away so someone you know should have one. And the cool thing is you don't need that great of a card, especially if you use your main screen for work and the second screen to hold all those damn tool bars.

kex
10-21-2004, 05:23 PM
dude what course are you studying at DeMontfort Uni, im looking for unis in the uk ,

alanmac
10-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Whilst looking around my local PC World I saw these going for 10 on special, so I don't know what you were looking at, even at the none special price they should not be more than 20.

They are a short stubby connector about three inches long with the dvi connector on one end and the analog on the other on black moulded section complete with the two screw connectors used to secure it to the backplate of your graphics card.

Maybe a trip over to the Belkin site. here is the page showing one.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201003&pcount=&Product_Id=144287&Section.Section_Path=%2FRoot%2FCables%2FDigitalV%2E%2E%2Eadapters%2F

All the best

Alan

rob-beddall
10-22-2004, 11:33 AM
hey!!

thanks for all the replies guys.

ALANMAC: hmm i never saw any of those. the only ones they had were the actual cables. not the adaptors. but thanks for the pic. now i have a better idea of what it is that i'm looking for.

KEX: i'm in my 3rd year doing MULTIMEDIA DESIGN. it's quite cool. you get to do games design and 3d animation. you also get to do web design and mae stuff in director and flash etc.
but to be honest, i think that if you want to do 3d animation you could probably find a better uni. it really is quite low level stuff here. they are still learning the difference between nurbs and poly's ( in the 3rd year???)

here is a link to the uni website. ( i think)

www.dmu.ac.uk (http://www.dmu.ac.uk)

check it out.

cheers!!

rob-beddall
11-17-2004, 01:08 PM
hey!!

ok. so i managed to get my hands on an old card for my second display. now how do i set the comp up to use both cards?
also i play alot of games on their so i need to be able to turn the other card off or whatever.
i thought i would ask you guys first before i blew up my computer.

cheers!!

uncon
11-17-2004, 06:00 PM
Just put the card into your machine, windows will do the rest. And don't worry about turning the second one off for games. It doesn't do anything to performance on the first card so there should be no hit (you will see your windows desktop get funky with icons and BG but don't worry). You might not be able to play DVD's on the second screen and sometimes OpenGL won't work either but you have all that extra space!

lots
11-18-2004, 02:35 AM
Windows 2k and up support multimonitors out of the box. Simply just right click the desktop and hit properties. Then click on the settings tab. If you started the computer with both monitors plugged in and have the driver for the pci card installed, you should see two boxes on the grey area. One will have a 1 in it and the other a 2. Click on the one with a two and check the "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" check box. Hit apply and the other screen should start up.

You dont have to do anything special when you play games. Windows will have set the primary graphics card to the AGP, and thus will only run DVDs DirecX based apps, and Open GL based apps on that screen. While the other screen will not be able to use such things. A DVD will not show video on the secondary screen, a video game will not appear on the secondary either. And 3D apps will not render the viewports. This is the way it works in a PCI+AGP setup anyway. Unless you've got both nvidia based cards, then you might be able to use nview.

brzilian
11-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Windows 2k and up support multimonitors out of the box.

Actually, its Windows 98 and up.

lots
11-18-2004, 03:44 PM
whoops, yea you're right

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.