PDA

View Full Version : Send files to a computer that's behine firewall

HONG KONGer
10-16-2004, 04:13 PM
I connect to the internet directly and I want to send files to my sister who's behind University firewall/network.

I've tried MSN and ICQ but can't connect her.
Anyway I can send files to her?

YankyBJeans
10-17-2004, 08:10 AM
Possibly.

It is all dependant on how the network is setup at her university. My college left port 5190 open (since its usually used by aim) and I was able to use that to run an ftp server (G6 FTP). The trick for everyone else was to use an ftp client that allowed you to specify which ports to forward to it, if you are behind a router, in order to connect. The basic idea is that you open a range of ports on your router, open the same range on your client (like SmartFTP) and then try to connect. This essentially makes your end look unfirewalled to her end, and will get you in.

This is the worst case scenario since you may or may not be behind a router and she may or may not have any open ports. However it worked fine for me every time. Hope that helps some.

Yanky

elvis
10-17-2004, 08:20 AM
I would suggest setting up a central storage point somewhere that you can both access. If she sits behind a university firewall there's a good chance there's another 10,000 students doing the same, and getting a campus admin to forward ports directly to her machine will be nigh impossible.

YankyBJeans
10-18-2004, 02:13 AM
thats why my way was great. i didnt need admin to do anything. you forward ports on your end (the person who is not at the college), and only if you are behind a router. i found that everyone who wasnt on a routered/firewalled system could connect to me fine.

i was running an ftp program but i just manually set it to work on a port that I knew was open.

yanky

jcbray
10-18-2004, 11:24 PM
If she can get on the net, you could just upload it somewhere for her to download - it's a slower process perhaps, but if you need to do it urgently, try it.

allenlikewo
10-19-2004, 03:41 PM
If she can get on the net, you could just upload it somewhere for her to download - it's a slower process perhaps, but if you need to do it urgently, try it.

Depending on what it is that you are trying to exchange with her this may be a much simpler solution. But if UL/DL would not be realistic for whatever it is you are trying to do I would seriously look at YankyBJeans's solution.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.