PDA

View Full Version : Maya 3d set advice needed...(lighting and caustics)

Citan
10-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm ... working on a set design and I'm having difficulty adjusting the lighting/materials to get the right effect...I'm hoping some fresh eyes can give me a new perspective on what I could do to improve it; here's the link:

http://saadny.tripod.com/picturereference/ (http://saadny.tripod.com/picturereference/)

Modelling of the piano isn't quite finished, but I the issues I'm trying to resolve here are lighting and caustic effects. I'd appreciate any advice~~

squib
10-16-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi Citan,

First: tone down your reflections! If your renderer supports blurred reflections, also add a tiny amount of blur. The reflections you've got are way too strong for a piano, and the stand is looking almost like chrome (which could be what you're going for, but it seems kind of tacky and feels like amateur CG--like a chrome ball on a checkerboard).

It looks to me like the floor's too bright. I'd say tone that down and brighten up the piano. Make it pop a little more into the foreground. Right now everything but the floor is a pretty uniform value, so it all seems flat. Also, I'd really like to see the keys on the piano. They're a very uniform color, and they're very hard to see.

What's making that pattern on the floor? I like the pattern, but it seems out of place without something to make the pattern. I assume this is an underwater room of some sort, but it's kinda hard to tell.

You have a low spotlight throwing a shadow on the back wall. I'd say you don't need it. It's contradicting the main lighting of the scene (from overhead), which makes it look out of place. If you don't want to get rid of it, at least blur it more.

One last thing. You might want to use a little more color to emphasize the focal points of the scene. Right now it's a pretty uniform blue, except for some green in the background.

Demus
10-17-2004, 07:56 AM
This has the makings of a great image. It's a good idea, but the raytracing and caustics you have used has lost the focus of the scene so start with a nice big overhead spotlight on the piano.

Heavy caustic effects will occur on the bottom of a swimming pool - a metre or so underwater, not deep underwater, so the water outside the room should be much brighter than the room. Also, If caustics are being cast on the floor then you would be able to see rays of light in the water outside. A spotlight with lightfog and a colour mapped works well.

Lastly, to emphasise squib's point, keep the effects subtle. Caustics and reflections are *very* soft in real life, except in specific circumstances.

Citan
10-17-2004, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, your crits definitely gave me some ideas...Hopefully I'll post an update of the more resolved scene here soon :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.