PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Alienware laptors?

Dias
10-16-2004, 02:36 PM
I've tried to search in this forum but there are too many opinion: someone said that are good laptors, someone said that are bad laptors because of quality of construction and display.

Is there someone who can tell me something sure? :)

Ødb
10-16-2004, 08:16 PM
I've tried to search in this forum but there are too many opinion: someone said that are good laptors, someone said that are bad laptors because of quality of construction and display.

Is there someone who can tell me something sure? :) TOO EXPENSIVE !!

Search for sager, clevo, PCtorque on this forum. Alienware use the same builder which is probably clevo.

DanSilverman
10-17-2004, 02:19 AM
You have probably read my posts on the subject if you did a search. I own an Alienware laptop and I am extremely happy with it. I will admit that I did some pricing of some Sager machines and could have gotten a similar PC for less, but I think I got a lot more for my money with Alienware and they gave me a lot of extra items as well at "no charge".

The laptop is incredibly well built (solid) and I have been working constantly on it for more than 8 hours a day for almost three weeks now. I am running MAX 5.1, Photoshop CS, a real-time 3D engine and all the development tools that go with it and the machine is as fast as my workstation at home. So it is a great development machine.

All I can say is I am more than pleased with my purchase, the company was extremely professional, I got my laptop in a timely manner and they notified me and kept me up todate through every aspect of its construction. The documentation that came with the laptop is awesome. I have printouts of all that is inside the machine, various bench marks, each item that shipped, etc. They even include a special "respawn" CD that will "automatically" restore your system to their initial configuration (how you got it out of the box) without having to do anything crazy or sending it back to the shop.

I like it :) .

shehbahn
10-18-2004, 06:29 PM
offering a counterpoint : i own an AW laptop :

- the LCD display quality is abysmal (colors are close to unusable for rendering)
- the engineering of the laptop shoddy at best (check out the complaints about the wireless problems)
- the case is made out of plastic with a fragile latch on the monitor
- it's vastly overpriced

-> in short : the Toshiba P25 has identical specs, a much better screen and is cheaper.

DanSilverman
10-18-2004, 06:52 PM
offering a counterpoint : i own an AW laptop :

- the LCD display quality is abysmal (colors are close to unusable for rendering)
I also own an Alienware laptop and I have to disagree with this point. I use it for both 2D (Photoshop) and 3D (MAX, Silo) and the display is great and the colors are superb.

- the engineering of the laptop shoddy at best (check out the complaints about the wireless problems)
I am impressed with the overall quality of the Alienware laptop that I have. I have to admit that I did not get the wireless card install, so I cannot talk about that.

- the case is made out of plastic with a fragile latch on the monitor
I have to agree here. I was a bit surprised at the plastic case and, especially, the flimsy plastic latches that hold the lid shut. My first thought, upon noticing that, was, "What am I going to do if I break those?"

- it's vastly overpriced
I don't see them as overpriced at all. Other than the latches (the case I can live with) the product appears to be high quality and it sure does run well and is powerful. I had checked the prices of several machines from Dell, HP, Sony, etc and to get what I got in my Alienware laptop I would have had to have paid a lot more. Many of these places are charging and arm and a leg (and sometimes another arm!) to have more than 1 GB of RAM put into a laptop.

As stated elsewhere, I am extremely happy with my Alienware laptop and I feel I got my money's worth for sure. I am not saying that other laptops aren't better. I am just saying I am satisfied with my purchase.

ironfinger
10-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Pctorque only sells sagers and acers. Those don't have the quadro. I don't get why anyone doing serious 3d(maya specifically) would chose a desk top replacement without a quadro? The alienware mj-12 seems like the only viable DTR for the 3d content creator at this moment - especially if someones budget is under $3000. That being said, I may wait for the sager NP9860 because it's pci-e and will have an Nvidia card. http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?p=441274#post441274

Phlipee
10-19-2004, 04:24 PM
I got an Alienware laptop about a year about. And I've regretted it ever since my 30 day return policy ran out. I had to send it back to them 4 times for over heating problems at 2-3 weeks a pop before they finely fixed it. its just been one head ache after another with it i would HIGHLY recommend getting something else... anything else!

novadude
10-19-2004, 11:39 PM
We've already run into the problem here. Neigh sayers got theirs about a year ago, while Dan just got his. Maybe they have changed?
I know OCZ used to be horrible, but they are pretty good now.

SheepFactory
10-20-2004, 12:08 AM
I'd never pay that much money for alienware. And i heard nothing but bad things about their customer service and shipment delays.

Go to this forum:

www.notebookforums.com (http://www.notebookforums.com)

and take a look under the Dell forum for dell coupons. I gotmy dell inspiron 8600 with %40 off! , you'll save incredible money.

Saurus
10-20-2004, 12:40 AM
I like Alienware upgradeable video card...it probably add another 2 years to the life of the machine for 3D works.

Yup, Alienware use to use painted clevo machine, but I don't think they do that anymore.

Saurus

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.