PDA

View Full Version : Workstation pricing advice

cosmari
10-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Having heard so much at these forums about how better 3D programs perform on PC's
and how much cheaper than the Mac G5's they are, I eventually started considering getting
myself a high-end PC workstation instead of upgrading from a Dual G4 to a G5.

However, after going through various sites such as SGI, BOXX, Alienware and others, it seems like the PC's don't come cheaper than the G5's after all.
Or am I mistaken?

Are self-built PC's equally reliable as the well known "names"?

Thanks

imashination
10-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Because boxx, alienware and sgi are expensive. If you walk into a jaguar dealer youre going to get jaguar prices. If you want a cheaper machine then look elsewhere

cosmari
10-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Well, I understand what you are saying, which is why I requested advice.

Where else can I look and still be sure of dependable hardware?

Thanks

maninflash
10-16-2004, 02:30 PM
If you can find a place to put together your parts, do that, you can buy the parts individualy and have them build them up for you, you'll still get warranty for each part from manufacturer. If not, HP has good machines (PDI/DreamWorks run on HP), Dell is okay but not as good as HP.

Hazdaz
10-16-2004, 02:56 PM
PCs being "cheaper" than Macs is a crock. Sure you can build a low-end PC with crappy components and very limited expandability, but then what is the point?

I would say that a high-end Mac is not a whole heck of a lot more expensive than a high-end PC.

Anyways, after saying that, Alienware is NOT that expensive if you configure the PC correctly. I actaully prefer a company called XiComputer - good HIGH-END PCs at decent prices. Also, I would HIGHLY recommend you NOT try to build one yourself if you have no experience in doing so - its not hard, but if you have limited PC knowledge, it can be a reciepe for disaster.

dotTom
10-17-2004, 10:38 AM
PCs being "cheaper" than Macs is a crock. Sure you can build a low-end PC with crappy components and very limited expandability, but then what is the point?

I would say that a high-end Mac is not a whole heck of a lot more expensive than a high-end PC.

Anyways, after saying that, Alienware is NOT that expensive if you configure the PC correctly. I actaully prefer a company called XiComputer - good HIGH-END PCs at decent prices. Also, I would HIGHLY recommend you NOT try to build one yourself if you have no experience in doing so - its not hard, but if you have limited PC knowledge, it can be a reciepe for disaster.Oh seriously, come on. It's called economy of scale. PC kit is way cheaper than Apple kit in terms of bang per buck. It really depends on how much you care what the box looks like (although you can get good industrial design in PC/workstation cases). Frankly I don't care, I have a DELL Precision 470. It's black, butt ugly and lives under my desk - I don't give a damn. It goes like sh*t off a shovel when I throw Maya at it. And I'm sorry, but your G5 doesn't touch a dual 3.6 Xeon or comparible AMD configuration. On the other hand, there is a large body of folks who just feel more comfortable on Apple kit and frankly if it let's 'em create great art no one should dictate their platform choice. If it's fast enough to support your creative processes it's fast enough.

I would agree that unless you've built several systems already you don't build a production rig as your first box. Especially since high end parts are often fairly demanding when it comes to the correct thermal engineering and timings. You have to decide whether you want to spend your time under the hood of your PC or getting on with your work.

imashination
10-17-2004, 10:48 AM

Lol, yeah, the G5 is immensely expandable with its single external drive bay, unreplacable CPU, unreplacable motherboard and 3 usb ports ;-)

Oh, and if he's never built a computer before, how will he ever learn if he never tries? Building a computer is about as easy as it gets. Just post the list of parts here first and we can check them over. The cpu goes in the cpu shaped hole, the ram goes in the ram shaped hole, turn it on and throw the XP cd in and wait half an hour. Computer manufacturers hire the same brain dead zombies that collect trollys at supermarkets; if they can do it, you can do it.

Pavlovich
10-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Lol, yeah, the G5 is immensely expandable with its single external drive bay, unreplacable CPU, unreplacable motherboard and 3 usb ports ;-)

Oh, and if he's never built a computer before, how will he ever learn if he never tries? Building a computer is about as easy as it gets. Just post the list of parts here first and we can check them over. The cpu goes in the cpu shaped hole, the ram goes in the ram shaped hole, turn it on and throw the XP cd in and wait half an hour. Computer manufacturers hire the same brain dead zombies that collect trollys at supermarkets; if they can do it, you can do it.
:beer:

i'd write more but i have to run to work

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.