PDA

View Full Version : Modo Crash (mirroring )

d0c
10-16-2004, 07:42 AM
does anyone experience MODO crashing when you try and Mirror over your model

i've done this many times before. but now a days it seems to crash when i make an attempt to mirror over

Nando
10-16-2004, 05:30 PM
yep happens here, once in a while, so i restart the Modo and sometimes it goes away.
Usualy i Right click on the mirror tool, in the toolpipe reset it, and activate, and appy in the tool pipe, not on the viewport. its less buggy that way

d0c
10-16-2004, 07:24 PM
thx for your response i will give it a try what you suggested

kursad_pileksuz
10-16-2004, 07:37 PM
some of my crash problems dissolved away when i do not use certain functions with multiple layers enabled. like bevels. mirror can be one of them. again this is a workaround, i belive that is abug

thesuit
10-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Same problem here... thanx for the workarounds...

Has anyone pointed out this bug to any of the Lux guys here?

Griffon
10-16-2004, 08:26 PM
It anyone has a good set of steps to reproduce, we'd like to hear them.

Herbal_Ice
10-16-2004, 08:44 PM
i also notice somtimes if i repeatedly delete edges by hitting backspace. it will crash aswell. i will try and narrow things down and be more specific as to what i doing when i get it..

joo
10-17-2004, 04:47 AM
My workaround is make the mirroring process in to a Macro, and save in cfg. And less crash for me.

chav
10-17-2004, 07:18 PM
wow...i was initially considering buying Modo...it "looked" so great. but the general impression I see so far all over cgtalk is that it's a buggy lump of trash! how can you not be able to mirror without crashing it! that's insane surely?

Griffon
10-18-2004, 04:28 AM
wow...i was initially considering buying Modo...it "looked" so great. but the general impression I see so far all over cgtalk is that it's a buggy lump of trash! how can you not be able to mirror without crashing it! that's insane surely?

I cannot get it to crash while mirroring and I use it all the time. I'm still waiting for someone to send me steps for this.

WPTV
10-18-2004, 04:42 AM
Well i managed to make it crash using mirrroring myself. What I was doing, was trying to mirror, i'd do it on the wrong axis. Hit control z to undo. then re mirrror with the tool still activated. and boom. crash. it did it a few times in a row.

and i also had a problem getting the lightwave commands to work. it didn't install with the cd install. I had to open the package contents and change some config files. Eric helped me with that.

BertD
10-18-2004, 09:53 AM
I can't seem to make it crash using the mirror tool, even when I try using undo with the tool still active. And I've used it quite a bit now.
Might this be related to a specific hardware/software combination? I'm using a Mac dual G5 2.5.

Bert

Vertizor
10-18-2004, 04:28 PM
I'd like to see you pick up a compiler and write a better mirror tool. In all honesty I'd really like to see you do it, I'm not flaming you nor am I picking on you (although I do find your post a bit impolite).

I've been professionally programming for about 4 years and I still only consider myself entry level. My work experience really taught me to humble myself and be more forgiving to other software developers. Like they say: "don't knock it till you've tried it."

d0c
10-18-2004, 04:40 PM
i dont know anyone who has come forward and said they regret purchasing modo because of all the bugs that have been popping up . i personally bought it and even though it crashes for one reason or the other. i'm still happy with my purchase ... the lux guys havent abadoned us and doing things in the dark. they show great intrest in solving problems we are having. atleast you now when you report a bug it is acknoledged. rather than going to some website and sending a note. and god knows who is reading this note. .. doing something this big there are bound to be errors that will only be discovered over time.

alot of people have faith in these guys. ...

WPTV
10-19-2004, 02:32 AM
im not complaining either. i love using modo thus far, and I'm even more impressed with how the lux boys have been involved with the users like on these forums. even if the program crashed all the time, i think the customer service is worth it. I was just adding that it has crashed on me using the mirror tool.

pabloD
10-20-2004, 02:32 AM
I use modo in production and I use the mirror tool often. I have not experienced many crashes with it. In fact I can't remember any mirror related crashes at all.

chav - I thought your post was impolite too.

Yes modo has its far share of bugs. Name one software package that was not buggy in version 1.

I don't agree that it is trash nor do I get the impression from the posts I have read that that is the general concensus. It needs work for sure.

The good news is that developers are active in this forum and they are working hard to get people the tools and stability they want in modo. I have not seen that kind of commitment and interaction in a public forum before.

Nando
10-20-2004, 04:00 AM
Yes modo has its far share of bugs. Name one software package that was not buggy in version 1.

heck I dont know of any aplication that has any number higher than 1.x that doesnt have bugs.

not naming other 3D/2D app makers but the list is long.
;)

juanjgon
10-20-2004, 09:31 AM
I think that MODO, for a 1.0 release, is good enought to work in production ... i am now working in comercial projects for two weeks without any noticiable problem, except a bug in layers when copy/paste geometry, and costumer support told me that they know this bug and they are working to solve it.

I love modo workflow, features and stability for 1.0 version ... remember that this is the first revision of the first application released by a new company ... what more we can hope?. I am happy with modo :thumbsup:

JacquesD
10-20-2004, 01:57 PM
I've been working with Modo in production as well for 2 weeks now and I must say that I'm very pleased with the that first released.
It crashes once in a while but nothing dramatic at all!

The ripper.

kursad_pileksuz
10-20-2004, 06:07 PM
i think that you are fed with wrong information, and as a result of it you are using a syntax that is not explaining any critic that would be good or bad. i encourage you to read people who are happy with it as much as people who are not happy with it. Modo does not crash everytime you use mirror. i use mirror a lot and it crashed one or 2 times.
if you think that modo is buggy lump of trash without seriously understanding the matter , i personally find the way you talk and think buggy as well.

chav
10-23-2004, 03:41 PM
My apologies to the overly sensitive ones out there. There are many ways of saying the same thing I guess, and wasting time picking the "correct" words so as not to offend software companies has never been my strong point. Etiquette and "being polite" is for drones and robots.

The fact is I have seen MANY posts on these boards describing problems experienced trying to run Modo. They seem to be crippling bugs which would make using Modo in a professional pipeline a nightmare. Granted, not _everyone_ seems to be experiencing the same bugs. So I guess it all depends on your individual hardware setup (gfx cards, drivers, etc), but please don't tell me that Luxology were not aware of these problems BEFORE they actually decided to dump a product unfit for sale onto the community. I just don't believe that.

A lot of people are still waiting for the demo version of Modo to appear, me included. At least by trying a demo first I could thoroughly test the software on my environment to see whether it is a usable product or not. Why is there no demo of a $700 dollar product? I suggest the reason there is no demo is because Luxology know all too well that after trying a demo full of bugs, most people would not be tempted to part with $700. I mean come on, even Silo offers a 17 day demo and that only costs $100! But then I guess Silo is actually a stable and usable program so they have nothing to fear of demos.

If Luxology wanted to test their software out on a large population of users than they should have setup a free v0.xx public BETA project BEFORE releasing it for sale. Instead it seems they have gone for a v1.0 BETA scam costing us $700. That's wrong. In France we have laws against things like this.

davidaleon
11-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Here is a reproducable bug sequence for you:

(1) Set Modo for a fully orthagonal quad view mode.
(2) Shutdown
(3) Restart the app
(4) As we all desire, Modo remembers our prior config, and boots into orthagonal quad view.
(5) Note that the grids are slightly out of alignment on start up.
(6) Do not create any geometry, load or execute any commands before doing step 7
(7) Go to the top left quadrant of the work area, use the "move" tool to align the grids
(8) Watch the MS Error report screen pop up and request permission to transmit error info to Microsoft.
(9) Say yes or no
(10) Watch Modo crash like a ton of bricks.

In my single night with Modo, I also encountered the bevel and mirror crashes.

I started with Lightwave 7.5 before moving to 3ds Max because I didn't like the radical interface of Lightwave. I like the interface on Modo. I can tell you guys are working on a high quality architecture. You have a lot of nice ideas, so I don't want to seem overly-negative. However, I will wait for 1.1 before I slap some cash down on the table.

One other thing: I think you would be better served with Python as your scripting language rather than Perl. Python is now the lingua franca of the 3d and 2d industry. It's no use fighting it.

Sbowling
11-10-2004, 07:51 AM

Please don't feed the trolls! :banghead: There is a small group of LightWave users who seem to have taken it as a personal insult that some of the LightWave programmers decided to for their own company. I'm not saying this guy is one of them, but it's possible. It's also possible that he's just some stupid kid who thinks this kind of thing is funny. My advice is just to ignore him or tell him to go away. It's obvious he hasn't read many of the posts here or he would see that most people are very happy with modo.

Labuzz
11-10-2004, 08:56 AM
I am not happy at all with modo at the moment...I hope that the next upgrade will change that.

iphong
11-10-2004, 04:11 PM
never been crashed in mirroring. But it crushes in undoing and renaming (layers, maps etc..) in my Modo. :(

Dion Burgoyne
11-10-2004, 05:32 PM
I am not happy at all with modo at the moment...I hope that the next upgrade will change that.
For anything like this that you're having trouble with don't hesistate to send an e-mail to cs@luxology.com and we'll figure out why you're having issues... We need to get information on the machines that people are using and the kinds of things that they're running into. It's really impossible for us to have every configuration possible to test against internally. So the more feedback we get the better each release will be!

Renderman_XSI
11-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Please don't feed the trolls! :banghead: There is a small group of LightWave users who seem to have taken it as a personal insult that some of the LightWave programmers decided to for their own company. I'm not saying this guy is one of them, but it's possible. It's also possible that he's just some stupid kid who thinks this kind of thing is funny. My advice is just to ignore him or tell him to go away. It's obvious he hasn't read many of the posts here or he would see that most people are very happy with modo. Well i dont agree with the choices of words Chav have used. I do agree with his views somewhat. However, I think for a v 1.0 release it isnt bad. As far as a software that isnt buggy at v1.0, I never crush Mirai even once when modeling with it(it might have some bugs nevertheless). Like i said before in the past, if Luxology implement tools base on what their user base wants(not just their Maya/LW beta tester,because the world doesnt revolve around just LW/Maya) they should do fine in the future as a software company.

I like Luxology Modo not because of its somewhat buggy 1.0 release, but rather the potentail it hold for future release :D.

BTW i followed all the steps davidaleon mention, still no crashes. I never had a crash problem with mirroring(scale -X?), only losing symmerty when using modeling tools with it(which kills my workflow), than i have to cut,mirror,merge vertexs,.blah,blah,etc.

For the most part, people who have used Modo long enough know it doesnt crash often. So its production ready.

juanjgon
11-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Modo is a 1.0 release, so it has some bugs ... but no constat crashes here. I use it all day in production and i have not serious problems with it ... MODO is probably the most stable 1.0 version application i have used. Perhaps we can remember XSI 1.0 or LW[6], for example. The most important issue in MODO is his bright workflow and architecture, who is the base for a incredible new 3D app.

hatman1602
11-14-2004, 05:16 AM
here is the latest fix for modo...got to this link and download the latest driver from nvidia
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_66.93
mine used to crash, now it doesn't...goodluck to all.....

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.