PDA

View Full Version : Which Mobo??

jchoi
10-16-2004, 01:56 AM
Hey all,

I've finally decided to go with P4 3.2 ghz (but I'm not sure Northwood or Prescott) with 1 gig of RAM and either Nvidia Quadro 4 900 or 980 xgl.
As soon as I make a decision on which Mobo I'll go with, I can place an order..
Based on you people's experience and knowledge, which mobo will be my best bet somewhere around $130 USD range??
I'm in a Big need of your help ASAP!! Thanks guys!!

nautilus
10-16-2004, 05:29 AM
I don't live in your country, so I don't know your prices.
I'll go for Asus motherboard, since it stability is great. You can get other motherboards wich is better for overcloking, thou I never overclocked any motherboard and never will.
Asus cost a bit more than other, but I think is worth the price.
my 2 cents

Hey all,

I've finally decided to go with P4 3.2 ghz (but I'm not sure Northwood or Prescott) with 1 gig of RAM and either Nvidia Quadro 4 900 or 980 xgl.
As soon as I make a decision on which Mobo I'll go with, I can place an order..
Based on you people's experience and knowledge, which mobo will be my best bet somewhere around $130 USD range??
I'm in a Big need of your help ASAP!! Thanks guys!!

jchoi
10-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Thanks for your advice.
I heard the same from couple other people, about Asus' great stability, so I'm going with Asus over Abit.
Any other concern I should have for making a decision on a mobo?
Thanks!

Goon
10-18-2004, 06:41 PM
I would recommend going with a Northwood core chip. In benchmarks and OCing these tend to be faster AND cooler. Plus if you get a Prescott using the LGA775 slot, its hard to find fans for them (though the stock fan is actually quite good), and if you change the cpu out a lot the springs on the mobo can fail (my mobo manual says that after 20x this is very likely too happen, though it can happen even sooner). This is because the LGA775 slot does not have pins on the cpu. It has little spring in the mounting slot of the mobo instead. This is good because it is very difficult to damage the cpu, not counting ESD, but the springs are very fragile as well.

I went Prescott/LGA775 because I wanted pci-express with a 6600gt vid card. I'm very happy with it, but I do have some qualms with my choices.

csven
10-20-2004, 12:56 AM
great timing for this thread. also considering a P4 3.2 or 3.4.

one issue for me is temperature. enough of an issue that the cooler-running Northwood is looking good even tho it costs more (and they're hard to find) and has fewer buying options (like in a mobo-cpu combo). anyone have a feel for how much hotter the Prescott runs? are people having problems keeping it cool?

[edit - found my answer. hot enough and sufficiently slower. thanks to GregHess for his comments/link in a much earlier thread]

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.