PDA

View Full Version : YES YES YES Max 5 IK/FK Switch

TheDevil[DK]
08-17-2002, 11:05 AM
YES YES YES Max 5 IK/FK Switch

I played around with max 5 animation to test the FK/IK switching and it works great !!!
I didn't even have to touch the curve/track view editor...

But another problem appear... the pivot bone does some stupid strange rotation sometimes... I looked in the curve/track view editor there...but it didn't make sense @:(

Didn't animate the swirvel angle since it is a ik/fk test, so arm/leg flipping might appear!!

Keep in mind it's just a test...

http://www.3d-designer.dk/temp/max5-ik-fk-test.avi [20 sec. Divx 1.95 mb]

Comments are welcome as usual :)
Anyone who know about the rotation problem ?

TheDevil[DK]
08-17-2002, 04:28 PM
found the mistakes... it where rotatet in world axis... so just delete the strange rotations and reanimate them with local :)

TheDevil[DK]
08-18-2002, 02:26 PM
www.3d-designer.dk/temp/max5-ik-fk-test2.avi a updated version with less mistakes !!

I'll post more later when I'm sober....

sasquatch
08-21-2002, 04:00 PM
Might be a bit late but here's the difference:

FK: traditional style animation in which all joint rotations and tranlations are manually keyed. No end effectors. Useful for getting really good weight and timing, especially on upper limbs.

IK: this is what you already know as single chain and rotate plane solvers. The chain of bones is controlled by and end effector. Good for when you have to make things stick to other things (feet to floor, etc), but otherwise a little limiting.

hope this helps

sas

Frinsklen
08-21-2002, 04:25 PM
Here's a link with some info about IK on MAX. Max 5 has a better IK setup, so this tutorial might not be useful. Anyway:

http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/3ddocs/iksetup/index.html

cheers

sasquatch
08-23-2002, 08:03 AM
Yes. You can either key ik on and off, or there's a useful little skeleton rig on highend3d.com that allows you to blend between the two (I think it rigs two copies of the skeleton up).

sas

ambient-whisper
08-24-2002, 03:59 PM
one large problem that i see with that animation is that the collar bones dont move at all. if they dont move then you dont need them right?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.