PDA

View Full Version : Dual Athlon 64's?

Dan Wade
10-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Im thinking about putting a system together, my last system was a dual AMD 2.1 MP.
Whats the best way to go now in terms of dual, can the 64 bit Athlon chips work together in a workstation? Not seen anything really on this, so just wanted to ask. Is it possible?

Also...since im going 64 bit, and getting the beta of XP 64 bit and 64 bit linux, does anyone know when Alias and Softimage have a 64 bit flovour of their software planned?

Cheers,
Dan.

wurp
10-15-2004, 10:06 AM
For dual amds these days you have to get opterons. They are basically the same cpu as the amd FX ones (with 1mb cache, instead of 512k like the regular amd 64 cpus has)

Beware tho, they are quite expensive. I just bought a system with a single cpu and it turned out I would have spend the same or more on just two opterons and a motherboard :)

As for windows 64 bit, I would stick with the 32 bit version for now, at least until the 64 bit XP is final.

As for 64 bit XSI, no idea when that'll be out, but I can imagine it will take at least as long as it takes for M$ to release their 64 bit version of their OS :)

Dan Wade
10-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Thanx Wurp.

Well...that does help alot. Atleast with the Athlons though, they give a rough speed guide, but how can i tell about the speed with the Opterons? They all basicaly say 2 or 2.2 GHZ. Now, i know this will be very different to say the old XP/MP at 2 GHZ, but i dont know how to judge it. If im gonan buy a brand new machine, i need to know im getting atleast a 70-100% speed increase to make it worth it.

Is there any benchmarks for the opterons and the Athlon chips?

Thanx,
Dan.

wurp
10-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Not sure about benchmarks, but from what I've heard a 1.8ghz opteron will be about as fast as a 2.8ghz p4/xeon.

The opterons are named with numbers, like 248, 250 etc, just do a google and see what speed they really run at :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.