PDA

View Full Version : Titanic - Southampton, April 10, 1912, Zoltan 'neu' Pocza (3D)

neu
10-15-2004, 09:44 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/12535/12535_1097829845_medium.jpg

Title: Titanic - Southampton, April 10, 1912
Name: Zoltan 'neu' Pocza
Software: 3D Studio MAX

Hi.
It's not my latest work, but this one is the one I'm, most proud of until this time. I'll be honest, It would be great to get an award from CGTalk too for this image :) I've just noticed a few minutes before that the CGTalk award consideration is not automatic from a thread, but we have to submit it for it.
About the image:
This is my largest project. It has been made in 3D Studio R2.5 in Q1 1999. It has won many awards (like Rank 1 at Animago 2003 in it's category). This is the "flagship" of my portfolio.
The scene was built up in 3 months. One month for getting the necessary documents, plans, images, drawings, etc, and 2 months for building and animating, as it's a very complex scene.
I used Surface tools to model the body of the ship. Then, I build the forecastle deck and the poop deck with the cranes and all of other details. After finishing, I created all the levels. It needs lot of attention, because many of these elements resulting sizes that have to be equal or a certain size or distance on the top level.
For example the top of the windows of the first class Lounge give you a size between two funnels on the first class deck space, and all sizes between the funnels have to be equal. So there was many many similar complications you can't see before you get to this phase.
After finished modeling the ship, I added particles and special effects to the scene. When Titanic was done, I started the seaport, the bridges, the cars and other props in the dock. After finishing the dock, I decided to bring real life in the scene, and I started the "manufacturing" of characters. I paid attention to making the clothes looking like these looked in 1912. Finally there are more than 690 animated people, rich businessmen with wives and children, poor people on the 3rd class, the crew, the health officer, etc. All animated with Character Studio (no motion capture data was used). It was the first (and I think the last) time I dealed with characters. In a difficult scene like this, the best (and fastest) way is using a composer to compose everything what you can. You should save weeks with it if you're rendering so much, and you have the possibility to change the layers and correct them later. I didn't do that at this time, so this image is straight out from MAX, only minor photoshop changes like grain, and a small color correction.
Used Documents: Titanic Model Kit from Academy 1:350 Scale (30.24inch/76.8cm), Some information included in the kit from Titanic Historical Society, Titanic - Secrets Revealed, Documentary 1998, Titanic - The movie by James Cameron 1998, Discovery Channel - Titanic, Expedition to the Deep, Cinefex, December 1997, And many WEB sources.
Scene Statistics: Scene Size: 142Mb ,Textures: 35Mb, Objects: 2205 (Without the bipeds), Faces: 1,05 Million (Without the bipeds), Lights: 7 ,Particles: 16
Start/End Date of the project: January 18, 1999 - March 19, 1999
Used Software: Kinetix 3D Studio MAX 2.5
Additional Software: Adobe Photoshop 5.02, Surface Tools,
Pandora, FreePyro, Character Studio
Adobe Affter Effects 4.0
Hardware used: MMX233, 128MB FGL1000Pro for modeling
the ship, Dual PII 333, 256MB FGL1000Pro for the rest
It was a one man, private project, I've made it when I was Working for the Hungarian Animation Filmstudio.
Thanks for reading ;)

JesterRace
10-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Awesome work, nice 50ish picture feel to the whole scene.

qur
10-15-2004, 10:30 AM
very nice and detaild work awesome dude:eek:
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
congrads
i am ver impressed
5 stars for you

malc0lm
10-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Really impressiv work. Only crit I have is extremly minor;
The people poses looks a little uniform. But hey, its almost perfect besides that.

Great work on the titanic and best of luck on your Audi project!

Cheers

newone
10-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Very good work! I like big ships http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif!
One crit: front deck of the ship seams a little bit empty behind the crowd at balustrade. But it just me...
My points are yours.
Gratulálok!

gent_k
10-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Amazing work. It deserves an award in my opinion...

BTW : you selected "Blender" on Software :D, you did it with 3dsmax right.

Name: Zoltan "neu" Pocza
Software: Blender

ervine
10-15-2004, 11:18 AM
you say the characters are animated? Can we see an animation? Should be superb considering the still is already so well done... Oh a bigger resolution would do more justice to the insane amount of details you put into the model

DAREONER
10-15-2004, 11:28 AM
perfect, this pict is very similar with the original film "titanic"
:thumbsup:

neu
10-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Hi there!

Wow....I'm very impressed by the activity of this Thread in this short time :D Thanks for it!

malc0lm

The people seems unifrom becouse there are unifrom people :) As I mentioned I'm not that familiar in character modeling and animating, so I have about 30 different people, and there are copied. So you're right.

newone

Yes, it's only 1 "row" near the crowd. It has two reasons. 1: usually when a ship leaves everybody go to the crowd, becouse this is the only place where you can wave you're hands, and see the people down there. 2: I had a very low performance computer for this project, so I had to keep the amount of features lower. But you're right too.

gent_k

I've selected Max. Also my name is incorrect in the logo too. I don't know why, it should be Zoltan "neu" Pocza. I've tried to edit it, but all I achieved is to broke the link so you just cannot click on the image for larger resolution...it needs to be corrected somehow.

ervine

There's a 115 frame long animation, where everything is moving, but it's still not available for the public as it still needs some improvment. The only problem is that I've changed my primary softwere 2 times since this image was done...

One again, thanks!

gpepper
10-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Did you do a screenshot of the film ?
really nice !

cermit
10-15-2004, 01:33 PM
a real masterpiece..amazing attention to detail

Tuga_3D
10-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Used Software: Kinetix 3D Studio MAX 2.5

:scream: ouch

Neochris
10-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Excellent!
What a holy crab that looks film-like impessive!
Love the ship and the nice atmosphere of Southampton.
Come on, more! even a high resolution one :D

Divaise
10-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Congrats it's very nice man but give some high res cause the picture is very small :) :thumbsup:

EF
10-15-2004, 04:04 PM
you have any other works to show us 2...this is great!
I've seen this image before...like 3 years or more ago.
it's beautiful

wayfaerer
10-15-2004, 05:39 PM
only three months? It would take me three years and I would propably haven't finished it! Looks really like captured from the dvd or so, really great work, should well deserve a cgtalk award!

boboroshi
10-15-2004, 05:46 PM
The atmosphere reminds me of the shot in Band of Brothers where they're loading onto the troop ship at the Brooklyn Naval Shipyard. Nice work!

HapZungLam
10-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Yap, you should have an award. By the way, did you solve the ebay incident?

neu
10-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the compliments! I wont show you higher resolution as the detail level was made to show it at maximum of 1280x1024 :) Sorry guys :D

HapZungLam

Yes it seems it solved. But I keep my eyes open...

Greetings, neu

MisterE
10-16-2004, 12:31 AM
This is quite simply one of the most beautiful pieces of art I've seen on here. The modeling and textures are really top notch. But it's the lighting that really make this stand out, as it truly feels this is from the early 20th century - even though it's in color.

I have a question though, hope you don't mind :)

One month for getting the necessary documents, plans, images, drawings, etc, and 2 months for building and animating, as it's a very complex scene.
You've mentioned a couple of other times in your post as well, that you actually ANIMATED this? With only a dual P2 333MHz processor, 128MB RAM, over a million polys and out of a 142 Meg file, how did you achieve this feat? Even with hidding objects and compositing, I assume you must have ran in a lot of trouble? Also, if it's animated, do you have an animation clip for download? I checked your website and found only the same image posted here :( .

aazimkhan
10-16-2004, 01:59 AM
I have been seeing this image all over the internet - when i started in 3D, this image has been one of the inspirations. Amazing work - and Its nice to see the artist around and still interacting with everyone.

This is really impressive work - still holds the best quality of work even today. A clear example of what an artist can do, with whatever tools available at that time.

Congatulations.

Ecleposs
10-16-2004, 06:40 AM
great work man:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

vegass
10-16-2004, 08:11 AM
Great work, front page stuff :thumbsup:

RubenM
10-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Woooooow :eek: im stunned...
Brilliant job on this one!
I wish I could ever make something
beautiful and with the detail u made here!

Though, im working on it :)

neu
10-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Hey, thanks again guys.

rockymaru

I've used extesive selection sets :) :) :) I had many of them. Also I've exported some sections to detail it, and then reloaded into the main scene. For example the poeple are from 4 or 5 different max files. I've expoerted the area where I wanted to the poeple be, and worked on it in a separate file. The final scene is about 10 different files, and you don't have any chance to modify it as you can see here (http://www.neu.amigo.hu/portfolio/wire_max.jpg)

The animation is not for public yet, as I had to make some modifications on it. By the way maybe I'll upload a test render soon.

aazimkhan

If at least one person got inspiration from it, than it worth dealing with it! Glad to hear it!

vegass

No i don't think it's going to be frontpage, as there are newer images on the frontpage already. Maybe the cgtalk crew doesn't think it's good enough for it. But it's their choice as it's their site.

Greetings, neu

skyraider
10-16-2004, 11:17 PM
OMG!
this is on of the best works i saw
it's realy great
vong!

MisterE
10-17-2004, 04:03 AM
Hey, thanks again guys.

rockymaru

I've used extesive selection sets :) :) :) I had many of them. Also I've exported some sections to detail it, and then reloaded into the main scene. For example the poeple are from 4 or 5 different max files. I've expoerted the area where I wanted to the poeple be, and worked on it in a separate file. The final scene is about 10 different files, and you don't have any chance to modify it as you can see here (http://www.neu.amigo.hu/portfolio/wire_max.jpg)

The animation is not for public yet, as I had to make some modifications on it. By the way maybe I'll upload a test render soon.

No i don't think it's going to be frontpage, as there are newer images on the frontpage already. Maybe the cgtalk crew doesn't think it's good enough for it. But it's their choice as it's their site.

Greetings, neu
I'm still amazed at all the detail (characters, textures, polygon count) in this scene. 10 Files for one scene ... wow.
Will the test render be posted in here? A seperate thread? Or on the website?

Speaking about this piece on CGTalk, didn't you have a thread about someone stealing this exact piece, printing it out, and eBay'ing it? How'd that ever turn out? I hope you nailed the SOB...

Good luck w/ the animation!

neu
10-18-2004, 07:51 AM
It seems the Ebay incident solved, but I keep my eyes open. Also I'm preparing to release this image in print, and sell on ebay. There will be a limited edition too, 1m wide, framed with additional infos.

I'll post the animation to a new thread I think, but will be available on my website for sure when it's done. The only problem is that I don't have too much time, and feel very unfomfortable in max since I left it many years before....

Greetings, neu

Uruk Hai
10-18-2004, 08:42 AM
As ussual very nice work Neu!
What's going on with your F-16?

MisterE
10-18-2004, 07:31 PM
It seems the Ebay incident solved, but I keep my eyes open. Also I'm preparing to release this image in print, and sell on ebay. There will be a limited edition too, 1m wide, framed with additional infos.

I'll post the animation to a new thread I think, but will be available on my website for sure when it's done. The only problem is that I don't have too much time, and feel very unfomfortable in max since I left it many years before....

Greetings, neu
Ha! How ironic (going to print this piece and sell it on eBay)! Though, it does sound intriguing. Depending on cost, I might be interested in purchasing a copy. As I said, truly one of the most beautiful CG artworks I've seen. Keep us posted ;-) .

You left MAX? Hm, you're missing out on some great features. Especially now w/ MAX7 out. Two words: normal mapping! What program did you venture over into, BTW?

neu
10-19-2004, 06:46 AM
Uruk Hai

I put the whole stuff in the CSI from Maya as I changed my primary software. Now I don't have time to continue it, as we're moving to a new home, and it needs a renewal. I'll back to the project early next year I think...

rockymaru

I left max at v3. I think the v3 were the most reliable, and fastest version. All the max since 4.0 is not that good. I don't think I'll ever return to max. The only advantage of max are the extensive plugins available. This is the only thing I miss....When I left max I started using Maya, and a few months before I changed to XSI. I can make normal maps in both. BTW Mankuas normal mapper seems to be the best in max.

Anyway...I don't need normal maps in my personal projects :)

Greetings, neu

techart
10-19-2004, 12:04 PM
oooooooohhhh..nice work man..great textures and rendering......cool stuff....love the mood

cheers..tech

ward
10-19-2004, 12:35 PM
ah, finaly!!
This stuff should have been in this gallery much earlier! but finaly it is here, and that is the thing what matters.

Good job Buddy!

(You really should have accapted thet ILM job ! :)

Eldarion
10-19-2004, 02:37 PM
amazing work i love this picture :thumbsup:

neu
10-19-2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys!

Ward

Haha....now I got this small icon below my avatar...and that is the point :D :D :D Now I have to make an other one with a new stuff....it's in progress :)

Greetings, neu

stealth76
10-19-2004, 06:44 PM
hi m8...

i saw your image a few years ago ( i guess at 3d total?!) .....and.....it's still impressive :applause:

congratulations....you are the man:thumbsup:

you really achieve the award:buttrock:

Faris3D
10-20-2004, 03:46 PM
very very very very very very good !!!:thumbsup:

Yan3D
10-20-2004, 06:36 PM
I saw your render in 3DTotal, I think. And always I have been very impressived by its.
Your techniques and skills are great and this scene in special captures a deep feeling.
Your render must have an award definitly.

Obi
10-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Good job neu!

/HUN : Nagyon szép lett, gratulálok! Megszabad kérdezni, jelenleg hol dolgozol, magyarországon vagy még? (nagyon örülök, hogy a magyarok ilyen sokat letettek az asztalra, gondolok itt rád, Ward-ra, Youth-ra, Aldarynra és még pár más emberkére akiket most kapásból nemtudok megnevezni... még1szer gratula!)
[/HUN]

Fred76
10-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Very great work with so many details ! Congratulations !

leho
10-22-2004, 11:19 AM
wire please

MisterE
10-22-2004, 07:11 PM
wire please
If you check out his website, he has wires and untextured renders.
http://neu.cjb.net/

Ali Imran Zaidi
10-23-2004, 09:03 AM
Hi,

No more comments on this.....just cute and clean....... :thumbsup:

sallymander
10-24-2004, 02:16 AM
Wow! This is georgeous! I love the way the ship just emerges from the fog in the background.

lv-88
10-24-2004, 10:36 PM
this is awesome!!
it looks like it's just been taken from the movie ;)

Tasty
10-26-2004, 10:25 PM
it looks so real great job!!

entymi
10-27-2004, 03:21 AM
oh~ this pict is very fantastic

attila
10-27-2004, 01:03 PM
How many hours was the rendering? I always have big problems with the rendering time in big scenes (nowadays too)...

Anyway, great work! :thumbsup:

I usually make archiectural projects with MAX.
Do you think that MAYA (or XSI) is even better for architectural scenes than MAX? :rolleyes:

Skyraider3D
10-28-2004, 12:22 AM
Indeed a masterpiece! Congrats on the award! :thumbsup:

neu
10-28-2004, 08:44 AM
Obi

Thanks! I saw you're works on the AP, glad to see you're still dealing with CG.

Attila

When I made this scene, one frame was about 1 hour 45 minutes on the dual PIII. Now it's 17 minutes on my home computer :) I think MAX is the most effective tool for architectural visualization, becouse there are many plugins, render engines and so. Maya and XSI are Highend tools, there you cannot get everything easily to you're hand. Of course you can do that in XSI and Maya too, but it's easier in MAX. For example there's V-Ray. Everybody can render good looking pictures with it, as it's very simple and easy. Yo ucan do that with mental ray too in XSI, but it needs more tweaking. I think this is the best feature of MAX. In all other terms XSI is better (but not easier!)

Skyraider3D

Thx a lot my friend ;)

Greetings, neu

txx
10-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Wow... Magnificent! I wonder how it would look like if you were to add treatment to the pict, say, making it monochromatic, adding some grain and folds to make it look like an old photo using photoshop? How much time did u take to do it?

Shiver
10-31-2004, 04:48 PM
PIAMPP, wishin there were more pics!

nelll
11-02-2004, 11:29 AM
i love the lighting work , just great!

i_hcl
11-02-2004, 12:06 PM
let me remenber that love story in the film!

Shawns
11-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Really nice,so much work,and all worth it.Impressive.:buttrock: :buttrock:

LAURO_MX
11-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Good work!
the post production is great too!

Rrs
11-05-2004, 01:46 AM
oh,sorry.
I don't think it is a good idea to make a pic from some scences in movei

Obi-Wan Kenobi
11-06-2004, 09:03 PM
WOW! This is one of the best pictures I have ever seen......every thing is perfect IMO! :cool:

intent
11-07-2004, 10:26 PM
I'm very impressed, this is the coolest ships I've ever seen in CGtalk (Actually, I joined today :))
5 stars for this!

ladyannika
11-09-2004, 01:08 AM
I dont think that how old an image is detracts from the beatuy of it and this is a beautiful image:)

_RP_
11-09-2004, 09:05 PM
"Flagship" of my portfolio - good word...

SWAREZ
11-10-2004, 11:27 PM
BEAUTIFUL!! FANTABULOUS!! not sure about the long description though. LOL : ) Good work!

Ramteen
01-07-2005, 12:46 AM
bravo ... ! The Titanic !

good luck . :thumbsup:

edu.rocha
01-18-2005, 05:20 AM
:bowdown: This is real man!!Perfect work!!!:drool: :applause:

clever_guy
01-28-2005, 06:51 AM
Kudos!! It is impressive in its scope and detail!! Definately one of the best!

:thumbsup:

-CG

cgpainter
05-24-2005, 11:50 PM
:cry:
Man! That is (excuse my language) but that is t3h uber roxxors! t3h shizile frizile uber l33tness!!And man, I don't just give out praise...

Never let go.... jack.... lol

Could you add some people jumping off and hitting fans? Or... is that asking to much?

ms@zx
05-25-2005, 03:50 AM
this one is definitely a kick ass piece.one of the best cg i've seen here:thumbsup:

leho
05-25-2005, 09:28 AM
you said "One month for getting the necessary documents, plans, images, drawings, etc, and 2 months for building and animating, as it's a very complex scene."

where's the animation?

neu
05-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the compliments! I did not made the animation available for public, as I had render capacity for a 4-5 sec anim only, and since then I didn't had more time to complete the full animation I planned. In addition since then I changed my primary 3D software 2 times.

Greetings, neu

Leon.S.Ken
09-30-2005, 08:55 AM
I like your work, it's look like very be well !
The film very good ,and your model very great too!
It is dream ,is mystery!
Try hard!:)

CGTalk Moderation
09-30-2005, 08:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.