PDA

View Full Version : Texture size?

Opossum
10-15-2004, 07:02 AM
I'm working with my first full character modell. I'm not sure if I should use 2048x2048 or 4098x4098 texture. How high should I go? whats ok for a full character modell.

Another thing :) My system allows me to divide the modell to div 6 then my PC hates me and talkes about divorce, babbling of low mem and I'm sucking the life out of it. Should I work in div 5 and save the last div to smooth things up in the final render.

_vine_
10-15-2004, 05:18 PM
I guess the real question is what you're using it for.

In general, I tend to use groups of smaller textures together (i.e. one for head, one for rest of body). Sometimes this is helpful with conserving ram for the most part. I haven't had a chance to do much texturing work in Zbrush with high resolution textures yet, but in many packages you will notice a dramatic loss of ram when comparing one 4096 to two 2048 maps. Keep in mind that one 4096x4096 map is four 2048x2048 maps. That is a huge amount of pixels for a model, and unless you're doing an extreme closeup, you may not notice the difference between them. Also, with a package like Zbrush that has a projection painting mode you don't have the problems with painting out seams that you would using just Photoshop.

In the end, it is a matter of choice, but my suggestions is the use of multiple smaller maps when you can get away with it just to save yourself the headaches that can arise from later having a bunch of characters in one scene all using 4096 maps and your machine crashing all the time. When I first started doing 3d I tried using really big textures for everything and it sucked. No, literally, it sucked the life right out of me.

Also, for your low mem problems at subdivision 6, how many polys are you at there? You probably need to look into using polygroups around then. I tend to start using them a bit around 4 and definitely at 5 and higher (~1 million polys by then). I layout my UV so that each texture area is in a separate UV space (i.e. the head is at 0,1, body -1,0). This way I can create the polygroups groups based upon UV layout. Otherwise, you can just got through the procedure in the Zbrush Practical guide under that horned fat guy section and mask out areas to polygroup. This way you can hide anything you're not working on and it will save your computer from divorcing you and dating your best friend.

I hope this helps a bit.

Opossum
10-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Ohh! That helped alot, thank you. I'm working with 3D in Virtual Reality so I always have to keep it lowpoly and lowtexture at work :sad:

eldee
10-15-2004, 10:21 PM
zbrush doesnt support multiple texture maps, so you're stuck with one 4096x4096 texture for the entire model. you can, however, break your model up into parts (head, arms, torso, legs, etc), and use maps on them individually. but for what you're doing it wouldnt be necessary.

aminuts
10-16-2004, 06:12 AM
I have a tank for a computer too. I like 2048x2048 even tho it is a drain on mem.

Tricks are to hide all but what you are concentrating on in textureing at the moment. and go to lowest subd to manuever then bring it back up before going to PM. Obviously save all steps often so if you have to bail cuz of mem your work is not lost. Svengali posted a way cool zscript plugin that will allow you to save your textures and model in incremental numbers with a click of a button which is a godsend for us folks with dogs for computers. It can be found in the zscripts forum....called Psnap now I think.

When you have an old computer it becomes most important to plan ahead your steps. ie think about what you want to do, know the limits of your computer and how zb uses them so you can work in steps and not lose hair and hard work over pushing to far without saving and doing it alllllll ooovvveerrrrrrr again!!!

Talking_Pie
10-23-2004, 08:23 PM
eldee, what would be the proper procedure for breaking components up ie: the head and the body as seperate textures in zbrush so i could render in another 3d package two displacements on the same figure?

Talking_Pie
10-25-2004, 07:43 AM
i mean if you broke your objects up seperatly and made seperate displacements for each part what would be an effective manner to as seemlessly as possible fade each part's disp into one another?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.