PDA

View Full Version : How to animate a rolling paper effect?

Jameslsy
10-15-2004, 06:34 AM
What the title suggest I guess it's pretty clear what I want to find out. Besides drawing it frame by frame in a 2D application how else can I create a rolling paper effect.

To be specific. A pirate show a treasure map being rolled out on a table.

SplineGod
10-15-2004, 06:45 AM
I would look at using bones. :)

NanoGator
10-15-2004, 07:24 AM
Larry's pretty much got it. Model the paper flat, but with plenty of segments. Then, create a chain of bones along the length of it. When all that's done, move to another keyframe and rotate the bones in a rolling up motion. If you want to get fancy, you could tie the rotation of the bones to a null via expressions and have a nifty little controller for it. ;)

SplineGod
10-15-2004, 09:46 AM
expressions or follower would work. I prefer to use selection sets. I have a tentacle rig on my site that could work with a little reworking. Its a good example of how to use selection sets to get complex movements with little effort. :)

maddness
10-15-2004, 01:28 PM
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/unroll/index.html

Jameslsy
10-15-2004, 09:13 PM
Owe ya ppl lots!
Thanks!

NanoGator
10-15-2004, 09:22 PM
expressions or follower would work. I prefer to use selection sets. I have a tentacle rig on my site that could work with a little reworking. Its a good example of how to use selection sets to get complex movements with little effort. :)

But I like doing it the haaaaaaaaaaaaard way! It makes me more indispencible!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.