PDA

View Full Version : Rig destruction and Bone fuse

adrencg
10-15-2004, 03:27 AM
I seem to always reach this point lately with a rig...

I'm making some final modifications, and I've destroyed it and can't go backwards and fix it. I was using bone fuse to create one bone out of the shoulder and bicep bone --- as soon as I did this, the elbow to to tips of the fingers popped away from the skeleton.

Is there any way to avoid this from happening when modifying a skeleton?

yes, I do have an earlier version of the scene, but I want to avoid that because its wayyyy back, and also, I'd love to know once and for all --- WHY I MUST BE SO CAREFUL WHEN SETTING UP A SKELETON --- Does anyone know what can cause geometry becoming unattached when recording a pivot rotation, fusing bones, etc?

Mike

fez
10-15-2004, 04:34 AM
The bones turn off when you use tools like fuse, split etc. Just tap the "All Bones On" button.

SplineGod
10-15-2004, 05:42 AM
Using RPR also rerests the bones. Make sure you have a REST POSE for your character.

adrencg
10-15-2004, 02:27 PM
The bones turn off when you use tools like fuse, split etc. Just tap the "All Bones On" button.
I understand what you're saying there, but the problem isn't really with the whole skeleton detaching...it's only from the point I modified down the extremity(arm or leg). Anyway, doesn't bones on/off turn on everything? I have some bones that shouldn't be on.

Mike

SplineGod
10-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Are the bones themselves detaching or is it the geometry?

adrencg
10-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Are the bones themselves detaching or is it the geometry?
It's a bit of both. The forearm down pops away from its original rotation, and the gemoetry from the elbow down ends up outside of the skeleton and impossible to get back into place.

I come from the old school "hold down the r key" way of making skeletons. I don't leave everything off then turn on later. My skeleton is pretty much activated as I go. I hold down the r key whenever I modify bones -- it never seemed to hurt me in older versions of LW, but now it seems to cause me many probs later. Maybe I should switch to setting up bones first, then resting them one by one.

Mike

fez
10-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Strange. Do you have Parent in Place checked?

SplineGod
10-15-2004, 10:29 PM
You need to make sure that once you use the r key to REST your bones that you dont use it again unless youre at the characters REST POSE. The r (rest) key does two things:
1. Determines which bones affect which points based on the distance of the point from a bone. Its a form of internal weighting.
2. Activates the bones.

Ctrl + r activates/deactivates the selected bones and thats it. The two commands are not interchangeable. If you do mix them up it will screw up your rig.

The bone popping away from the others sounds like a bug. I ran into a similar thing back in 8.0 and I thought it was fixed. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.