PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?----> 2 questions

PixelVampire
10-14-2004, 09:17 PM
The software I use mainly is Adobe stuff and Maya (did not use Maya for a while). I will start using Maya again hence this post.

I have 2 computers.

Computer 1 (desktop)- CPU- AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.67 GHZ)
Video Card- GeForceTi 4600 (128Mb)
RAM- Total 3 SLots- (1x256) (1x512) (1x512) = 1256Mb

Computer 2 (laptop) Dell Precision M60

CPU- Centrino 1.6GHZ
Video Card- Quadro FX Go 700 (128Mb)
RAM- Total 2 slots- (1x512Mb) 1 slot free
(HD-7200 rpm)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question1-

What can I do to both systems to upgrade a bit? Is it worth putting a better video card in Computer 1?
I guess on the Dell laptop I can put anoter 1x1GB RAM stick. Anyway currently I am using the Desktop more than the Dell laptop.
I will be using Maya more so keeping that in mind I guess The laptop will be better to work on...right?
OR if I put a latest GeForce card on desktop 1 plus replace the 256Mb RAM in one of the slots with a 512Mb or 1GB stick then it might be better?

What route would you take? I am not rich but not poor either. What would be the most sensible bang for the money route that will be benefitial for Maya?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 2-

I have both computers connected by a cross over cable. Can I use both computers for network rendering? How?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any advice will be helpfull. I was thinking of buying a new desktop but I want to delay for the mid term future. As I think I have descent-ish machines for now.

Goon
10-14-2004, 09:35 PM
You'd probably get a real nice kick out of upgrading your cpu on the desktop. An athlon xp 3200 will run you around $200 from newegg

Are you maxing out the ram atm?

The ti4600 should do you quite nicely. Are you getting poor performance or just looking for an upgrade?

Bumping up the ram on the laptop is the only thing you can do for it, but taking it up to 1 gig should be quite nice.

PixelVampire
10-15-2004, 08:06 AM
>You'd probably get a real nice kick out of upgrading your cpu on the desktop. An athlon xp 3200 will run you around $200 from newegg

-----I don't think my MOBO can go over my current CPU. MSI KT3 Ultra. I will have to check.

>Are you maxing out the ram atm?

-----Well I have 3 memory slots. 2 are holding 512Mb sticks = 1GB. The third slot has a 256Mb stick. So total currently is 1.3GB. I can replace the 256 with 1GB or 512 Mb stick.
To take the total to 1.5 or 2 GB. What do you think? I am not sure if it will take a 1GB stick.

>The ti4600 should do you quite nicely. Are you getting poor performance or just looking for an upgrade?

I am not getting poor performance as such. Although I have not modelled anything too complicated. That might change in the near future. I just thought that maybe a newer 256Mb card would make a huge difference???
I don't even notice much difference between the laptop quadro and the Ti4600 on my desktop.

Anymore opinions....

Goon
10-15-2004, 03:10 PM
>Are you maxing out the ram atm?

-----Well I have 3 memory slots. 2 are holding 512Mb sticks = 1GB. The third slot has a 256Mb stick. So total currently is 1.3GB. I can replace the 256 with 1GB or 512 Mb stick.
To take the total to 1.5 or 2 GB. What do you think? I am not sure if it will take a 1GB stick.
No I meant are you using all of the ram + some of the paging file? If so you should drop some more in, otherwise it isn't really neccessary.
I just made a new computer, with 2gigs of ram, but I'm idling at 126, and until I get a heavy project going won't be topping 512. So until then, I have 1.5gigs gathering dust.
So are you going to be doing work where you will need such an upgrade or is this a "lets see how powerful I can make my old computer" situation?
If so, upgrade the ram. Otherwise, look into replacing your mobo and cpu, because those will be the components that are holding your system up.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.