PDA

View Full Version : Service Pack 2 on Win XP knocked out my wireless connection?

ntmonkey
10-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Hey Gang,

I installed Windows service pack 2 in an attempt to shut down the gaps in Win XP's security. Well, it worked. Now I can't connect on to the internet via my wireless connection. However, it does say I'm connected to the access point.

I have tried to use the Internet Connection Wizard/Home network wizard, but they have errored out saying to set it up manually or use a different setting. Now I'm really worried. I'm thinking the Service Pack knocked out my TCP/IP settings. Thanks, Microsoft.

I've also tried the wireless networking wizard. It told me to use my USB flash drive and go around jamming it into anything I want my wireless connection to see. That's kinda cool, but the DSL modem doesn't have a USB port. And that's what I want my computer to see. For fun I jammed it into my roommate's laptop. It worked. Now I can play nasty pranks with his files. But still...no internet.

I could drag my whole computer and monitor across my apartment and hardwire it through the ethernet card. I wish I could move the modem, but there's only one working phone jack in the apartment. However, I couldn't keep my computer in the kitchen because that's where the phone jack is installed.

Is there anything else I should maybe check out before I haul my machine over?

Thanks in advance,

Lu

Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2000
512 MB of Ram
Geforce 4 Ti 4600
Lynksys 802.11 g/b Wireless Network Card
Windows XP (now with cursed Service Pack 2)

Modem: 2Wire wireless DSL modem (from SBC)

kex
10-14-2004, 08:33 PM
use hot fixes rather than super borked sp2?

ntmonkey
10-15-2004, 08:56 AM
For anyone that wants to know or search about

Wireless Network and Service Pack

I figured out the problem. Apparently installing the Service Pack did knock out my connection and also my wireless settings. I had no clue how to set it up until I decided to force uninstally my wireless network card from the device manager.

I rebooted, Windows found my card, installed the drivers....and here's the kicker....NOW IT ASKS ME IF I WANT TO SETUP MY WIRELESS NETWORK!! So I go through the paces and enter in my wep code and all is well.

Thanks for those who wasted brain cells considering my problem and reading my useless post.

peace,

Lu

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.