PDA

View Full Version : Video card fan died. :(

jbradford
10-14-2004, 07:22 PM
I started getting these weird flickers on my screen; the first thing that shot into my mind was the video card, so I inspected it before turning it off. Low and behold, the fan wasn't spinning. I took it out, used compressed air and cleaned it out as much as possible. I also tried turning it on it's own while the computer was on, but no luck ;(

Anyhoo, I am curious as to where you can get a new video card fan? It's a gainward Geforce FX 5900 (Non-ultra). I checked my local fry's, but all they had was video card fans up to 5700 Ultra. I checked the web, but can't seem to run across anything. Is there any video card software out there that I can downclock my GPU with? The that one gainward came with didn't do much.

I've got a power fan stuck to the side of my case now blowing a LOT of air into it. Hopefully this will help the problem out. I'm I doomed? I couldn't even removed the heatsink and fan from the video card, so I'm questioning if the quest for a new fan is worth the time.

Wow that was long for just replacing a video card fan; thanks for reading. :D

ntmonkey
10-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Mine will rattle if I turn off my computer. It's like it requires 3 days to build up momentum to spin. It will die soon I'm afraid. I love my GeForce 4 Ti 4600. It's so stable on my machine and I do not want to change the card. I wasn't aware you could switch out video card fans. It's good to know.

peace,

Lu

mental
10-14-2004, 08:55 PM
http://www.coolerguys.com/videocooler.html

be sure to ask them for assistance if you cannot find an appropriate model.

pgp_protector
10-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Had the same thing happen to me

Went down to my local CompUSA, got a Gfx Card cooling Kit & Replaced the fan without a problem.

Depending on the size of the fan, check out you local computer / electronic hardware stores

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.