PDA

View Full Version : PA Challenger - character - dan dixon

Dan Dixon
02-05-2002, 11:44 PM
ok I thought I post before the rest of you guy and gal run away with the challenge. sorry no drawing for this character but I'm going for a heavily influenced manga style, but will see . just started so be nice.http://www.community3d.com/galleries/images/gallery-581.jpg

NowInc
02-05-2002, 11:48 PM
I like the direction you are going with this....the shirt is a nice design..very "future" like....

Cant wait to see more progress made on the model ;)

MadS
02-06-2002, 12:01 AM
I'm sorry, but that's entirely too sexxy to be post apocalyptic. ;) Looking good so far. Maybe you and Cerreto can team up now, since he has the head.

lildragon
02-06-2002, 12:50 AM
looking promising dan, looking forward to the head, also what's the story behind her?

Dan Dixon
02-06-2002, 12:59 AM
she is going to be a bit on the sexy side but I'm going for kinda upper class character. She'll be covered in armor and more likely she'll have a huge crazy head dress. I hope to have an update soon so you can get a better picture.

cerreto
02-06-2002, 01:44 AM
LMAO mad s dan you know i think your work is great but hey this is looking great !

Sketch23
02-06-2002, 03:32 AM
Looks really good so far, Dan. I like the head dress idea, that'd be really cool if done right. Look forward to seeing more.

Error323
02-06-2002, 04:52 AM
I love manga!!! So let's see more MORE!!!!!! :) :) :)

Dan Dixon
02-06-2002, 10:15 AM
http://www.community3d.com/galleries/images/gallery-583.jpg small update

DrAdamDinosaur
02-06-2002, 10:34 AM
really like the shirt. Are you going to animate this character? the chunky leg armour will make for some cool definition. looking forward to seeing the headress.

Dan Dixon
02-07-2002, 10:30 AM
http://the3d.ws/artists/dan/cgchannel2.jpg

just working on her upper body let me know what ya think

cerreto
02-07-2002, 10:31 AM
Killer detail

oozeballz
02-07-2002, 10:39 AM
thats insane!!!... that's a nice bump map (that is a bump map right?) i dont understand the stuff on the arm.. but i looks cool as heck

Equinoxx
02-07-2002, 12:42 PM
that's feckin ACE my friend . . .
I love the bumpmap of the dragon . . .

CerberusC
02-07-2002, 01:19 PM
Wow, see that arms!, how will make you to move it without clipping problems?

Neox
02-07-2002, 01:41 PM
WOW! Thats great!

lildragon
02-07-2002, 06:38 PM
Dan as a dragon luvr, I bow to you.... amazing man

pensart
02-07-2002, 11:53 PM
Damn, i love her already :P
Very impressive work

JacobB
02-07-2002, 11:55 PM
wow that is a wicked idea, can't wait to see further developments!:D

Dan Dixon
02-09-2002, 12:02 PM
http://the3d.ws/artists/dan/headdress2.jpg

what do guy and gals think . let me now if your up for the look or not.

bentllama
02-09-2002, 12:09 PM
I do not understand why you [and other artists] get into so much detail without having the whole body character roughed out first. Or do you have it roughed out and you are just not showing it?

The model looks promising, but you kinda need to look at the character as a whole to critique proportions and how well certain areas work with other areas...everything is connected and I have seen more often than not, a model completely lost due to "sectional" modelleing and paying to much attention to surface detail before having the whole structure flushed out.

...it is like building a house...the foundation is always laid first, details follow...

enough of my ranting now...

keep up the good work, and if you have a full body shot [rough is fine] can I please see it?

thanks for listening...

peace.

Sketch23
02-09-2002, 12:25 PM
Really nice work, Dan. I don't know how I missed the dragon bump map update... ...but that works really well. It'll look great textured.
I like the head dress but maybe it would look great if you got it to look like the head off that dragon. Jus a suggestion. I do like thoose blades.

bentllama: Everyone has their own workflow. What works for some people doesn't work for others. I find that the method you described works best for me but I know a lot of people who like to get one area of the character (usually the face) done so that they have a good template to use for the rest of the body. What ever floats your boat.

cerreto
02-09-2002, 12:38 PM
i think some times that way works and others it doesnt some people can simply draw with polys , dans good at that i think in difrent programs its also difrent alot of factors fall into play modeling sheets etc ,i gave you my sugestion already chief keep em coming !

Dan Dixon
02-09-2002, 12:47 PM
hay thanks guy for the comments that what I like to see.

bentllama as for the the detail the mod is roughed out on the first page. I model the body and the legs the head is last to come.To be honest there not much detail yet in her. BUT thank you for posting a comment and I would like your option on further updates.

sketch thanks man you playing ball tomarrow.

Martin-K-
02-09-2002, 12:55 PM
dan this doesnt necceseraly apply to you, but ill go along with nathans rant :) using the method he described, many starting artists wouldnt be running into proportion problems later on in their work if they only bothered to set them in in the beginning stages of their work. same goes for drawing and such. i see many artists going straight into the details and then wonder why their drawings dont work.
regardless of what method you use ( nurbs, straight polys, subds, surface tools ) the user should always draw out their character either as a sketch that will get scanned and put into the viewport, or using splines, or roughing out the form of the character by just boxing in the proportions, or making the skeletal system and using a skin skeleton function and then take ir from there.

there are many ways to go about it, and its in very good practice.

lildragon
02-09-2002, 01:08 PM
Dan I'm really loving the head dress, I envision lotsa movement happening there, think switch blades ;) , also the right arm looks a lil funky, but you already mentioned you're fixing that...
Also use what methods you feel comfortable using, sometimes we work different than others but yet again that's what makes us artists.... but building a foundation is a must, even if it's a sketch to get proprotions are whateva... but it's coming along just fine ;)

-LD

oozeballz
02-09-2002, 01:28 PM
love the model..

one question though... how is she a post apocaliptic something... ? she looks to me like she's an asian warrior chick..

Dan Dixon
02-09-2002, 01:41 PM
true she doesn't look that PA but she well have all the guidelines for the challenge. But what I'm going for is an upper class . If the world ever come to this threes always going to be high class and lower class of people. but when I'm done you'll see more. sorry for all the trouble.

dzogchen
02-11-2002, 08:54 AM
I disagreed. Being asian influenced in design doesn't make her out of context. A PA scenerio affect both the east and west. The guidelines did not indicate it happened only on the west side of the Mother Earth. So long as the guidelines are fulfilled, I believe she is relevant. Even the costumes in Star Wars The Phantom Menance are heavily Oriental design influenced. Nice work. Love that Chinese dragon on the body.:D

DaveWilson
02-11-2002, 12:23 PM
Awesome work Dan, one of my favourites !
Very much looking forward to seeing how this turns
out. Nice concept from the start, quite different from
the rest. -Dave.

Dan Dixon
02-11-2002, 01:23 PM
Thanks Dave coming from you I'll take it highly your work is nothing short of amazing.I'd like to see you one of your models in the challenage. I hope in a day or so I'll have an stronger pic to show.

also thanks dzogchen for your comment

Equinoxx
02-11-2002, 02:01 PM
I'm loving it dan.

tho I like the previous bump better than the last one. the dragon should be bumped out onto the suit instead of "pressed" into it.

I'm loving the upperclass theme, but somehow she makes me think she is queen or something. must be the headdress . . .

big b
02-11-2002, 07:39 PM
OH, ME LIKEY! ME LIKEY!

I'm loving all these asian inspired characters.

Keep up the good work.

Dan Dixon
02-13-2002, 03:48 PM
yes yes I know she doesn't look that PA yet but don't worry it coming soon haven't had alot of time lately to do much on her but I'd thought to post this . This is a pose test to see if my armor well work and what type to go for. she'll be updated in a few days with some armor and I hope to have her headdress done. But please let me know what you think.http://the3d.ws/artists/dan/cgchannel3.jpg

Equinoxx
02-13-2002, 03:51 PM
you better tell me that's gonna be a BIG ASS sword than. I'm a sucker for swords . . .

lovin the pose. it suits her "higher being" style.

Dan Dixon
02-13-2002, 03:57 PM
ya it will be a sword but more likly a double bladed sword of some sort.
Thanks EQ talk later

Maox
02-13-2002, 04:35 PM
Damm!! Dan,, heee, so,,, very cool ,men!!

Congratulations!!

MarcosD (Maox)

cerreto
02-13-2002, 07:33 PM
i know you showed me this already so im just comenting on the cool ass render no crits sorry but the render is cool !

Titan
02-13-2002, 08:49 PM
Man this is a nice Piece...I am a huge fantasy buff and this is right up my ally...I hope you win, or at least place in the top 3!.....excellent work man!

rendermonkey23
02-13-2002, 10:15 PM
I love the shoes (sandles) but I think that in a PA setting they might be kind of hard to walk around in all that rubble :)

Awsome character though

ME3D
02-14-2002, 03:39 PM
GREAT Direction! In an earlier post it was mentioned about the PA guidelines. Well this may push those bounderies, but I enjoy seeing something like this that heads off into a new area. Thanks for posting.

By the way did the settings on that light dome help out at all?

Koma
02-14-2002, 06:35 PM
really cool,i love the posing but tell how this small hands can take and manipulate a big double bladed sword ?
great model ...:D

Dan Dixon
02-15-2002, 03:20 AM
hay guys thanks for you coments

Gabe your right the hand are to small there just place holders at the moment.

ME3D ya i know but bare with me I promise you'll see it when i'm done , she not going to be solo in this pic. She''ll have some friend with her to beef things up.

thanks

BASSit
02-15-2002, 03:28 AM
Hi Dan,

you did an amazing work ! Especially the body is an eye-catcher... i hope you don┤t wanna hide it under more equipment or other stuff *g*

What proggy did you use for creating the sceleton ?

psumo
02-15-2002, 03:44 AM
I like it a lot
great aestestics

is there any chance that her mask will be see through
so you can see her face?

pixelfairy
02-15-2002, 04:54 AM
Wow...beautiful. I really admire you work:) It's proportions are great (I know the hands are temp) Just a couple of crits...

From the way the hips are tilted it looks like her supporting leg should be her right leg so it should be more vertical than her left leg and straight at the knee with the heel on the slipper. So you could either change the position of the legs or the tilt of the hips. What I like to do is to try out a pose infront of the mirror...if it feels unatural you know...

It would also be great if you accentuate her calves, quads and hamstrings. I love the feet! A see that lot of people have trouble with modeling feet but you've done a fine job!;)

And one more thing that would add to your dynamic pose is a tilt forward in the hips which will also give more of an arch in the back.

I hope I hadn't said too much...just sharing my honest opinion.

Looking forward to an update.

DrAdamDinosaur
02-15-2002, 08:16 AM
Wow, love the feet and ankle area, some of the best ive seen. The seam up the side of the character also looks very cool. my only criticism are of the plates going down the right forearm. They all look a little samey also, the hands look a little to small. But its great.

Totitch
02-17-2002, 01:55 PM
Very nice body!!!

Your work on feet is very good...
It's a very difficult part of the body,and you make it very nice!
Can you zoom on it,With different views(and a mesh view)...
I have to learn!

Really good job!

Dan Dixon
02-18-2002, 02:48 AM
thanks . ya on my next post I 'll show off a wire frame and some close ups for ya it should be in a few days got lots to do on here still.

lildragon
02-22-2002, 02:56 AM
danny boy, still waiting for an update for awhile now :) come on!!! :p

Dan Dixon
02-22-2002, 03:07 AM
soon my freind soon in a day or so i'll get back to work on the chalenage but now that fatman take up all my time.

Dan Dixon
02-23-2002, 06:43 AM
heres some wire frames and asmall updatehttp://the3d.ws/artists/dan/allinone.jpg

Dan Dixon
02-23-2002, 06:44 AM
heres some wire frames and asmall updatehttp://the3d.ws/artists/dan/new.jpg

psumo
02-23-2002, 07:12 AM
sweetness
dang she really turns me on
so sexy

ME3D
02-23-2002, 09:31 AM
Damn she looks good. small crit: The "sequen dress" is very cool but seems to be too perfect fanned out in back. The semicircle is cool but having a few disks on the outer edge coulg really break it up. What do you think? Any plans in that area or in the connection of the disks between each other?

Dan Dixon
02-23-2002, 09:34 AM
hay ME3D your bang on there man i do think you hit .thanks next update i'll brake things up a bit

CÚdric
02-23-2002, 02:57 PM
I love the style of this character so much : it looks like another dark pretress :D

Good stuff

LouisBrowne
02-23-2002, 03:41 PM
Luvit
I can almost see her swinging that big sword around, with her dress flowing around her bod.
Whats your ideas on textures??

Dan Dixon
02-24-2002, 09:50 AM
http://the3d.ws/artists/dan/dress4.jpg

dress texture test let me now what you think. Early test only

dot
02-24-2002, 10:42 AM
nice one... just love it

ME3D
02-25-2002, 05:34 AM
Dan,
You got it man! Looks more intricate like this and that total uniformity is gone! COOL!!!!!!
Much better she is going to pretty tough looking.

Dan Dixon
02-28-2002, 06:44 AM
Hay guys posting this texture update ,it's not done yet but heres a test .still need to do a weapon and rework the head dress but let me know what you thinkhttp://www.community3d.com/galleries/images/gallery-646.jpg

CerberusC
02-28-2002, 07:52 AM
ok, i like it, but i find it a bit strange to be in an postapocalyptic age, but i like the model so much...what's her hystory?

ME3D
02-28-2002, 08:41 AM
Love the hanging medalions, as I said before. Not really crazy on the heavy cloth under it now. Might I suggest a lighter muslin type of material, possibly in texture frays on the side.
Model and texturing is very nice on the other hand. The lighting is very good to the texture...if that makes any sense at all. Are you using anything like raydiffuse on this? Sorta looks different, from a light aspect, than the earlier renders you've posted?

pixelfairy
02-28-2002, 09:02 AM
That is one amazing bodysuit! Okay, here's my honest opinion...

I really like your model but I think it's looking just a little too busy.

Maybe if you tone down the texture and colour of the bodysuit it would not be the focal point of your piece (unless that's what you want). I also think the model can do without the flap at the front that hangs from the waist... it doesn't seem to go with the train or the bodysuit and it breaks the flow of the beautiful dragon design. mmm... maybe you should start from scratch;p..hehe... just jealous that you're almost done;)

keep up the good work!

Dan Dixon
02-28-2002, 10:40 AM
thanks guys and gals there's still a lot to go and as for the PA challenge I know it does fit in any more but will see . Also thanks for the comment I'm not really into her anymore so it good to get some insight on her . I've been on her a little to long for me but I got to get her done. ME3d ya your still right I'm going to put a ruffle or something around the dress .Just working out how right now also the sword is almost done.pixelfairy thank for the feed back I'll mix things up for you in the final pic. also your from Vancouver cool nice to see.

Dan Dixon
03-03-2002, 03:53 PM
Here's my final pic for the challenge. I now it may not look so PA but that up to you all. But let me know what you think.http://alshaheen.net/artists/dan/2in1_girl.gif

LichiMan
03-03-2002, 03:58 PM
WOW!!! AWESOME!!
GREAT MODEL AND FINAL IMAGES.
I love her cloths. She is very sexy ;)
FIVE stars!!

Cgkoko
03-03-2002, 04:39 PM
Well...this is really nice modeling!:) Nice watching your model's progress.I would really love a clear shot of the sword.
Thank you!

FURI-KURI
03-03-2002, 10:58 PM
WOWOWOW!!
YOUR LADY LOOKS PERFECT!

we wanne see her fightin with this awesome sword!:D
Great work! more more more!!

Taoizm
03-04-2002, 01:14 AM
Damn Dan, PA accurate or not that is a really sweet looking piece. :)

Dragonius
03-04-2002, 01:44 AM
it fits PA quite nicely... anyone read 'Chasm City' by Alastair Reynolds?

not everyone is going to be the scavenger type after a PA event...

Martin-K-
03-04-2002, 02:39 AM
hey man. you already know what i think. but ill say it again. shes got some of the best cloth ive seen in cg. keep it up man. ( you probably got my vote too. :)

Dan Dixon
03-04-2002, 04:28 AM
thanks guy on your coments and i will podt a close up on the sword and some wire frame for ya in a bit

Titan
03-04-2002, 12:20 PM
just curious, how did you achieve the overexposed light spill, is it photoshop effect or a render effect.......if its a render effect I'd really like to know how you did it....

Carny
03-04-2002, 12:24 PM
He juste bloomed the image a bit i think.

By the way... Youre model is looking realy awsome, alle the colors are fitting so good to each other! Looks realy harmonic..

Dan Dixon
03-04-2002, 01:52 PM
Titan the image is a combo of maya and photoshop i render with a gi lig rig which took 2 hours at 2k by 2k and then used the alpha to blur and add a bit more soft lighting to the character. you can do this with after effects for animation pieces. work great

Dan Dixon
03-06-2002, 11:06 AM
Here's a full render of her sword, this was heavenly inspired buy a manga influence.http://alshaheen.net/artists/dan/sword.jpg

ME3D
03-06-2002, 06:17 PM
That sword is great looking! Very nice, Very nice,Very nice,Very nice,Very nice,Very nice,Very nice,...
Looking at the proportion of the sword it seems like it should scale down a bit then lengthen the blade to keep its present size next to her. Unless this is what your going for say....like she got the sword as a present from some mutant PA race that is larger than her?
Again looks good man. Good luck in the challenge.

BASSit
03-06-2002, 06:27 PM
Really great work ! And you have modelled her directly to this pose, right ? No rigging ?! GREAT

But as ME3D said: is she really able to use that two-hand-sword ? Looks a bit too hughe (IMO) !

Oh, and the cloth-textures are really cool - never seen that style before... what are your influences ?

Dan Dixon
03-07-2002, 10:22 AM
hay ya ya one more pic . but as for the sword , made it larger than she could use. because I wanted to get a feeling of superiority. this way you feel that she couldn'd fight to save her life if she had to, but instead have someone to do it for her.http://alshaheen.net/artists/dan/girl_final3.1.gif

pabbloz
03-07-2002, 07:06 PM
That's really great Dixon!
But I prefered the previous camera positions.
From this one we can't see much things.
I liked the illumination of the background too! :D

hey! but is a very good work! and the sword is very detailled!

rendermonkey23
03-07-2002, 09:11 PM
Damn Dan... quit rendering ;)

I like this last one a lot. And I love that sword..... schweet!

Dan Dixon
03-09-2002, 08:40 AM
http://alshaheen.net/artists/dan/gray_scale.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.