PDA

View Full Version : Corel Corporation Acquires Jasc (Paint Shop)

onlooker
10-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Never used Paint shop, but it can only be good things for Corel.

Corel Corporation Acquires Jasc

Corel Corporation has announced the acquisition of Jasc, the award-winning developer of the Paint Shop™ family of digital photography and image editing software.
(http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel2/Section/Content&sid=1047022946165&cid=1047023901839)

rebo
10-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Hmm im not that keen really. Id rather see better integration with photoshop that a lock in with JASC paintshop. Which after all isnt that good (compared to PS).

onlooker
10-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Photoshop compatibility isn't going anywhere, and I can only expect that what Paint shop can offer them are tools that they intend to develop into better versions of what they already are without loosing any Photoshop compatibility. Painter, and Photoshop are very different applications, and "Painter" (as it's name states) IMO is the better painting app. "Paint" Shop (as it's name states) I imagine is also more geared towards a painting app.
Sounds like good things, and good intensions to me nevertheless. :)

nafa
10-15-2004, 03:19 AM
PSP is in direct competition with PS and Corel's Corel Draw/Photopaint. What Corel is doing could be to reduce competition instead of acquiring technology for improving Painter.

mcarp
10-15-2004, 02:38 PM
I think the main thing Corel gets from this is the brand name.

PSP is a much better-known product than Photopaint.

Downside: Corel has this ever-growing mishmash of graphics apps, including PSP and the stuff they acquired from Micrografx, which as best as I know haven't been redesigned to work together and overlap in function and features.

I'm very happy with what they've done with Painter, which I feared would be orphaned, but my own opinion is that Corel needs to streamline its other offerings and focus on some consistency for its own market identity.

chikega
10-15-2004, 07:55 PM
You can scan currency in PaintShopPro - unlike Photoshop.... :)

DigArts
10-18-2004, 04:59 PM
Here's my take. PSP helps Vector get Corel revenues up to where they can take Corel public again. Once that happens, Vector will do an IPO, sell a bunch of stock, make a ton of money and move on because that's what venture capital firms do.

The line of reasoning that supports this idea says Corel can compete with Adobe and MSFT using Draw, PSP, Painter, Wordperfect, etc. Of course, a more skeptical investor might ask if that isn't how Vector ended up with Corel in the first place.

Be that as it may, the greater point is that you probably won't find many PSP users happy about the news, nor many Jasc employees for that matter. It doesn't do much for competition either, and that's what drives innovation and pricing.

My opinions only.

D@D

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.