PDA

View Full Version : Win2k hangs at loading, no go :(

javierdl
10-14-2004, 05:58 PM
I just installed the Hyperion (4 in 1) drivers for my KX400-8xV Pro motherboard (from Albatron) after over a year of suspecting of using the wrong drivers. The problem is that when rebooting Windows2k sp4 attempts to load, but it can only load up to 60% approx, it hangs right there.
What can I do now? I did make a backup of the system a week ago, but there is nothing I can do with it now if Windows doesn't load.

And by the way... I can't reboot from the CDrom.
I already went to the BIOS and changed the booting sequence, but it's obviously not doing it. I have the Win2k CD in there of course.
Isn't there a command key to use to force the system to boot from the CD?
Also, I already tried booting in Safe mode, but is the same thing: it hangs.

Please help!

thanks in advance,

DPC

Tarrbot
10-14-2004, 06:08 PM
When you tried to load into Safe Mode, did you notice if there was a "Boot from last known good configuration" option?

Also when booting into Safe Mode, it takes a few minutes sometimes to load correctly. How long did you wait to see if it boots or doesn't boot?

Do you have a boot floppy? If not, you can download one at www.bootdisk.com (http://www.bootdisk.com).

javierdl
10-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Hi Tarrbot,

Yes it gave me that option (to Boot from last known good configuration), but it couldn't.
I am aware that booting in Safe mode takes somewhat longer so I did wait, but I'm sure I waited long enough.
I don't know how important this is but I failed to mention that while booting up on normal mode and it hangs, it doesn't look really frozen either. I can see the horizontal blue bar still being animated.

Yes, I do have a regular Win98 startup floppy, and also a set of 4 floppies to start Win2k up. One of the options I get here is to repair Win2k. Should I go with that? Or did you have a better idea?

DPC

javierdl
10-14-2004, 06:21 PM
I just loaded the default BIOS settings, it made no diff :(

DPC

Tarrbot
10-15-2004, 02:24 AM
If you can see the bar moving, it hasn't completely locked up. Until that bar stops for some time, leave the system alone.

Just wait until it either stops moving completely or it boots into Windows.

It may take what seems like 2 years for either to happen, though.

Just turn it on and go make dinner or something and come back later.

javierdl
10-15-2004, 03:56 AM
I think I waited like 15 mins. Now it's all gone :( A local store technician advised to reinstall the OS. I couldn't even do that. For some reason it said it couldn't find some file after the first attempt at installing Win2k, so it couldn't successfully boot. Before this I tried to repair the system with an Emergency Repair Disk I made a month ago, but although it looked successful, it told me the same thing (missing file at booting). So that's when I decided to use a backup I made with Drive Image Pro. The problem with that is that it erases everything in the C partition. It is sure better than not having that restoration file now under the circumstances, but I'll still have to spend the whole day tomorrow just reinstalling and configuring programs that I didn't include in that restoration file.
Once I'm done though, I'll make new restoration files including these programs ;)
Come to think that I am into this crap just because I am trying to make an old tv-tunner card work with my desktop computer.
Oh well!...
Thanks for your support Tarrbot :)

DPC

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.