PDA

View Full Version : newbie: subpatch problem

Zeicon
10-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Hello

Please take a look at the following picture
http://www.casperchristophersen.com/subpatch.jpg

I'm currently watching SimplyLightwave's Mclaren tutorial... as you can see, I still have a loooong way to go. Awesome tutorial by the way... However, one thing bothers me. When I convert my polygon faces into subpatches (using the TAB key) I don't get the smooth egdes that Phillip (the tutor) does. The red lines in the image above indicate the shape of _his_ geometry... I used to get those nice rounded corners as well, but I must have accidentally screwed up that function... can anyone help me out here? Why am I getting these torn edges?

Thanks.

Lewis3D
10-14-2004, 05:28 PM
Hi !

By Quick look at those it seems to me that you accidently copy/pasted some polygons to themself and now it's causing problems. Try this - hit "m" key for merge, and then hit "shift+i" to merge ovelaping polys. If that don't help then le tme know i have few more ideas what it can be or upload file so tha ti can correct it and explain what happend.

cheers

Zeicon
10-14-2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks man... the shift+i function took care of the problem... great ;)

guardonduty
10-14-2004, 07:10 PM
I had the same problem and just selected the areas that looked non subpatch and clicked subpatch again. It fixed it just fine

lazynok
10-15-2004, 07:46 AM
Hi !

By Quick look at those it seems to me that you accidently copy/pasted some polygons to themself and now it's causing problems. Try this - hit "m" key for merge, and then hit "shift+i" to merge ovelaping polys. If that don't help then le tme know i have few more ideas what it can be or upload file so tha ti can correct it and explain what happend.

cheers

OH MY GOD are you seirous theres a function for mergining overlapping polys?! that would have saved me many headaches over the years. argh i've allways done it that hard way =[ thanks!

Lewis3D
10-15-2004, 10:19 PM
OH MY GOD are you seirous theres a function for mergining overlapping polys?! that would have saved me many headaches over the years. argh i've allways done it that hard way =[ thanks!
Hehe YES it's ben in LW since years ago :). If i'm not mistaken it's in Lw since 7.0 or even 6.5 ;).

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.