PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem with a laptop, hope someone knows.

danydrunk
10-14-2004, 03:52 PM
I am trying to format a laptpot that was abused in the past. Someone sitted on the laptop and as a result the lcd monitor (or plasma, dont know) is broken into pieces, you can still see something but I connect the laptop to my pc monitor for perfect viewing.

The problem Is that the computer itself seems to be fine, but it powers off after some time, in what seems to be a random way. Since this computer is not mine, I dont know exactly what the original user did to the laptop to be like this. I havent been able to enter windows, because everytime I try it asks me for a password, that I dont know and the original user doesnt remember. So I thought I would format the computer, but when Im trying to format it, it just shuts off. As I said, it seems to power off in a random way.....................................Has this happened to anyone before? what can be causing a laptop to shut off?

It is a compaq presario 700, with an athlon processor, I believe 256 of ram.

peanuckle
10-14-2004, 03:56 PM
I am wondering if when the laptop was sat on if some of the cooling parts got damaged. That would explain for it just turning off if the chipset was too hot. You might want to disect the computer and see if anything is broken.

pea~

danydrunk
10-14-2004, 04:15 PM
I have expierience opening pcs, I always do it, but for some reason Im afraid of opening a laptop.......is there any major difference? since Ive never owned a laptop i never had to open one. do you think there wont be no problem?

Hey and by the way, I was thinking also about the cooling thing, maybe a fan is not working, but it makes a sound as if it was working.....If more people encourages me to open it I will do it jaja.

GregHess
10-14-2004, 04:30 PM
If someone sat on a laptop and crushed it...i think the least of your worries is damaging it by opening it up...its already damaged, your just trying to fix it.

Just be wary of the cabling when removing sections of the laptop...the cables are usually very thin and easy to bend/pull out if your not careful.

danydrunk
10-15-2004, 01:00 AM
you are right greg hess, Ill see if I can find the problem, hope its only a loose fan connection, couse there doesnt seem to be anything phisycally wrong with the computer besides the monitor

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.