PDA

View Full Version : Making Game Environments with 3ds max

chinese_lover
10-14-2004, 03:42 PM
im looking at starting to make Game Environments with 3ds max,i saw this dvd on discreet site for sale,
http://estore.discreet.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry16?V1=662270&PN=1&SP=10023&xid=37482&V5=30013516&S1=&S2=&S3=&S4=&S5=&V2=&V3=&V4=&DSP=0&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=143249
i know $80 is a little pricey and all,but learning things to me has no price and such,has anyone tried this dvd or seen reviews on it,im looking to make asian style building enviroments and trees like sakura ones on a game im wanting to texture,i havent been able to find tutorials on these type of stuff thats really good,like asian style at least,if anyone can answer me it would be most helpful,Thanks,Chris^_^

FatAssasin
10-17-2004, 08:08 AM
I've never seen the DVD, but judging from the description is seems to cover all the bases. About tutorials for making a specific style of building, I don't think you're going to have much luck. But once you learn the basics of environment modeling you can create any style environment you want. There's plenty of photo reference on Google Images.

My main suggestion would be to buy a moddable game like Doom 3 or Unreal Tournament 2004 and start making levels for it. Start small, like just one room, and work your way up to a complete environment.

ChadTHX1138
10-28-2004, 01:11 PM
There is not much to know really it's not that great a mystery, Just start modelling and trying it out in a game mod like assasin said.

Just keep the poly count and texture sizes low. make sure all quads are perfectly welded (I remember it used to matter if quads were made in a clockwise fashion HEHEh or they would disappear on some consoles). If you get a mod find out what the maximum sizes for the maps and polys are. It also helps to know how many colors per texture map are allowed (256, 64, 32...), I'm sure it doesnt matter too much anymore these days but it speeds up rendering in the engine. Max 7's level viewer is a pretty cool addition.

I have been out of the game industry 3 years now, so a bunch has changed I'm sure. The best way to learn is start making mistakes and not be affraid to push buttons and see if $#!7 blows up.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.