PDA

View Full Version : WIp: Environment object: Anti-matter container (UT2k4)

oXYnary
10-14-2004, 04:03 PM
In progress. Anti-matter container (crate). Being made specifically for Unreal Tournament 2004 for level DM-Quench.

Final idea is to have a scolling texture for the monitor, and having particles inside with the anitmatter spinning inside this level (Im leaving this part of the magic up to the designer=BIOS).

Looking for ways to push more. Modeling is finished. Texturing is where it needs more TLC. Also realize that I am specifically trying to keep the inside from being dirty/worn (at least middle part). If any dust/dirt or particles got in there... well, BOOOOOOM!. At the same time I want to show that this machinery is used. Kinda up in the air.

http://www.oxynary.com/downloads/anti3.jpg

Suggestion and critiques welcome of course and asked for.

Level Screenshot (click on it to download latest beta)
http://www.oxynary.com/BIOS/dm-quench-button.jpg (http://www.oxynary.com/BIOS/DM-Quench/DM-Quench-Beta2.zip)
Level layout is copyright BIOS, all else is copyright Epic/DE.

*Note the static mesh is currently not in this beta. Using more for you too see if matches or not.

DevilHacker
10-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Looks like something from the old TV show 7-Days...
But looks good...:thumbsup:

The one thing that bugs me a little is that it does not seem to have the gritty look that the level that you are putting it into has.

To see what I am talking about look at Andy’s Mini Tank (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=172001&page=1&pp=15) that he is making for the Unofficial Game Art Challenge it has a good gritty look to it... :)

Hourences
10-14-2004, 11:44 PM
I dont know how you made the joints of the cage but keep in mind that ut is using vertex lighting and that unless you are lightmapping this in max, you might get black faces if the vertices from a face cant be reached by light.
Rest is ok, only inside is a little too typical pc paint like for my liking. Map itself is decent and pretty polished off only the insides are more standard and cubical than the outside. And too saturated 1 coloured blue light in them most of the time :)
Was kinda quake ish too sometimes, and on the other hand very typical ut2003 like. For your next map, try more custom content cause it will make your map stand out a lot more :)

oXYnary
10-15-2004, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the crits thus far:

Devil: Thats the problem I having though.. I cant see making this inside dirty because it supposed to be air tight.. Dont know if you know the theory behind anti-matter, but if it and regular matter intercepted, they would cancel each other out causing a very large explosion (greater than a nuke?).

So if its airtight, I cant add all the dirt and grime and wear on the inside. At the sametime I do want this to work more in tune with the level.

ANd let me say this is the second time someone has been reminded of that show.. BUT I DIDN"T LIKE THAT SHOW! ;)

Hourences.

About the vertexs, hmmm. You know I did have a vertex split down the middle or each rod initially. But was told on polycount to get rid of those because of the added tri's. I guess I better go do some test placements in the engine. Thanks for the heads up. Oh man though if your right, the tri count is going to go up about 500!

Thanks for the crit, but realize I am not the designer of the level. I will pass the information on to him. I am making this container for him to make it a more original level.

Hourences
10-15-2004, 01:24 AM
Nothing wrong with 1500 if its only that one mesh, and if you only have one or just a few of those in the same place. The map didn't look utterly high poly so it should be able to take it.
If the joints are modelled together you might not need extra slices, if the different bones, pillars whatever you call them are just sticked into eachother you really should consider an in game test and see how it goes.
I guess the same problem might occur for the glass all tho you can do work arounds for that. Such as making the glass a seperate mesh and turn off bstaticlight on the glass mesh, and some ambientglow and scaleglow messing.

DevilHacker
10-15-2004, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the crits thus far:

Devil: Thats the problem I having though.. I cant see making this inside dirty because it supposed to be air tight.. Dont know if you know the theory behind anti-matter, but if it and regular matter intercepted, they would cancel each other out causing a very large explosion (greater than a nuke?).

So if its airtight, I cant add all the dirt and grime and wear on the inside. At the sametime I do want this to work more in tune with the level.
I was talking about the outside... :eek: LOL

Also... How are you going to use this in the game?

G0st
10-15-2004, 03:59 AM
i like the concept and model
only suggestion
the engine is pretty strong, im using it for my mod atm as well
if your going to have a bunch of these in the map keep the count as it is, if its going to be 1 or 2 boost that count up and add some major detail, the anti portals and zones (if correctly made) will do wonders, and your tri count atm is quite small

Thats my suggestion

oXYnary
10-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Ok this is in the engine. Im thinking of adding a middle vertice to each of the side plates (you can see how pitch black they get). Im not sure if I can raise the polycount much higher, He said about 4 of them is what he is planning.

Hourences:
The rods are separate. Under ideal circumstances they would have been connected, but the 3d max lattice tool I used didn't connect them, moreover shifts each slightly, so I cant weld them into one connection nicely. I plan to take you advice. In fact I am adding/splitting a third map just for the double sided textures, as to hopefully drop the depth complexity.

Devil Hacker: Oops, my bad. Yea, Im still going to add more to that.

GOst, he mentioned about 4.

Ok problem! I tried to make a shader so that I can have a specular. The opacity level is acting screwy no matter what I do in the shader tree as you can see (this effect shifts around if you move in the viewport). Having the texture byitself as a dtx3 works fine. Then however I loose the possiblity of having a specular. :(

Also, the level designer didnt like how (see picture) the depth complexity view was showing as he said "too much red". As he said that would increase once he gets emitters in there. The second more green version is with the texture set to single sided. Again, I think the best solution is to have a separate map channel just for the double sided textures, so as to not make the entire thing double sided. Thoughts?

Hourences
10-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Rebuild the light after you placed it in a map for a good view on how it would appear in a final state in case you haven't done so. If it really looks bad then 1 slice might not be enough..
Else it should be fine.
And you could weld and connect by hand :)

I wouldnt worry too much about complexity view. The example pic complexity isnt that bad or over the top and I dont think youre gonna feel this little of complex. ingame fps wise. ok the green one might be more clean technicaly but for one model, no big deal imo.

And define opacity screw up, missing alpha map ? Messed up alpha ? shader blending mode mess up ?

oXYnary
10-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Hourences, look at the attached images from inside the editor above to see what I mean about the opacity channel. Its like the very edge of the opacity texture is shifting. Hard to describe . Look at the second picture above and a screenshot of the shader view.

Honestly, I couldnt attach the tubes without rebuilding the entire outer structure. Because again the edges dont line up, and the weird way the lattice put the axis of each element.. Also because they arent at perpendicular angles, it makes it even more difficult. It just would be easier starting from scratch. Which I though about initally, but could see no easy way to get a clean a look as the lattice modifier.

RO
10-15-2004, 03:07 PM
For that texture trashing try a final blend. That might help get it working.

Just make a new shader that is a final blend and place your whole shader you have atm and place it in the final blend. You will need to mess around with some settings.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.