PDA

View Full Version : polygon hair?

Ezekiel6
10-14-2004, 02:37 PM
I am having difficulty finding tutorials for this, but i am modelling hair as strips then applying colour, spec, diffuse and transparency maps to it, the hair seems to look okay at the mo, but where the hair should be transparent it is showing the background instead of the skin/model that is underneath, why is it doing this and how do I get around it? Cheers.

vrljc
10-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Here is a method that I am using. Haven;t gotten into it too much, but it seems like a great way to approach hair.

http://www.menithings.com/manual/Tilt_Hair_01.php?action=how

-jon

Ezekiel6
10-14-2004, 03:17 PM
cheers, looks like what I'm trying to achieve, I will look into it, but it still doesn't explain why the transparent parts of the hair were showing the background when they should be showing the skin?

JoshD
10-14-2004, 07:59 PM
That is strange. I've never run into that and I use poly hair with transparency maps all the time. Hopefully that link will help you.

Ayreon
10-14-2004, 08:15 PM
You have to set the ray recursion limit higher in the render options panel. Set it at around 8 and things should be fine. If you've got a lot of layers on top of each other, then maybe you will need a higher setting, but try with the lowest possible setting eand increase with 1 at a time.

Let me know if it worked for you!

Ayreon

Ezekiel6
10-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Cheers for your help guys, I'll go back and try increasing the recursion limit see if that does anything, at the moment I fixed it by piling all the uv maps together then setting them as a clip map in object properties, that got rid of it, only it left the edges a bit jagged, so now I'll have to work on softening them up to look better. I'll get back to you if the recursion works!

E_Moelzer
10-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Hey!

Hey Menis tutorial is good.
Here is another way to do it using LWs UVmaps:
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/hair/index.html
CU
Elmar

Ezekiel6
10-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks Elmar it was actually your tutorial that I was following for the hair it's just that there wasn't any info about what to do if the background was showing through on the transparency. I have turned on ray trace transparency, turned off adaptive sampling, I followed you to the letter. None of the polys are touching so there's no clipping going on. Have you ever had anything like that? Obviously your technique works, I just must be missing something out????
By the by, what's the recursion limit actually do, I thought it was for reflections and the number just indicated how many times the surfaces repeat their reflections.

cuda
10-15-2004, 02:09 PM
About Ray Recursion Limit
it's for reflection and transparency... so set it higher darn it.. :wip:

E_Moelzer
10-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Hey Ezekiel6
Hmm, this is weird.
It works for me, never had a problem like you described it.
First, try raising the ray recursion limit as people said.
Are you using any shaders on the skin?
CU
Elmar

Edit: just made a quick test with the scene from the content, that I provided with my tutorial and I dont get the problem. I even doubled the amount of hairlayers and it still works fine...

Ezekiel6
10-15-2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks I'll try it tonight when I get home from work. It'll be Monday before I can tell you guys what happens, though going by your suggestions it may well be the recursion limit as I have it set to 3, which is quite low.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.