PDA

View Full Version : Lock-ups, resets, not the PSU.

UrbanFuturistic
10-14-2004, 02:10 PM
OK, seem to remember having this problem before, some time ago, but it's been so long I can't actually remember if I ever found the solution or just went through an upgrade.

Any time I'm using anything OpenGL intensive (3D modelling, switching between videos a lot) one of two things happens: -

- 1) The screen scrambles, mostly in wide vertical lines mixing green and yellow in blocks about 8 pixels in size with a break in the pattern where the cursor was. Resetting continues to give a scrambled screen even with the BIOS messages and a total power-off-power-on is needed before anything makes any sense again.
- 2) Total reset. No warning, no hints, just a complete and total reset.

At first I assumed it was the PSU throwing a wobbler (I've added a couple of pieces of hardware recently and supposed it pushed it just over the 300W Max), so I went for a 400W PSU as it was cheaper than the 350W PSU (from the same manufacturer) but they didn't have any in stock and the 650W psu was on sale at the same price. I'm still getting the same problem, you can possibly understand I'm a bit miffed.

So, hardware specs:

Asus A7V600-X motherboard (VIA KT600 and VT8237 based)
AthlonXP 2000+ (1.67Ghz)
512MB Crucial PC2700 (I think) ECC Registered non-parity
Gainward GeForce4 TI4200 running dual screen at 1024x768 each

Also, soundcard, firewire card, TV Tuner, DVD-ROM, CD-Writer and Internal Zip100 drive (still has its uses).

Any light shed will be much appreciated.

regards, Paul

P.S. CPU and motherboard temps are 51.5C and 28C respectively.

UrbanFuturistic
10-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Anyone????

GregHess
10-14-2004, 04:28 PM
There was a batch of Gainward cards that had issues with the memory chips on the video cards coming loose, which resulted in irratic ogl/d3d performance, and weird screen issues. I've encounted one of these cards myself, and your symptoms do sound similar to what I experienced.

If this is the case, and your card is still under warranty, your best bet would be a replacement through Return Materials Authorization (RMA).

To verify this is the problem, you'll need access to another video card...any video card will do...if you can utilize your programs with another card without crashing issues, it indicates that your current gainward card is faulty, and requires replacement.

You can also try different nvidia drivers to see if that offsets the problem, but because of your screen display issues (through your description), this definitely sounds like a hardware video card issue.

UrbanFuturistic
10-14-2004, 05:46 PM
Oh flamin' Nora!

Yeah, I've tried going back a couple of driver revisions.

I have recently replaced the motherboard (borked memory controller) which could have loosened a chip what with all the moving around and reseating of stuff... OTOH, would it be worth just trying to clean the contacts? If not, I could do with a solid recommendation, bearing in mind I need at least equal performance, what are the FX5x00 range like (as they're only about 40-45)?

Of course, I did immediately suspect the video-card, I was just hoping it was some obscure motherboard issue as that is still under warranty.

thanks, Paul

Rabid pitbull
10-14-2004, 06:16 PM
So whenever you use open gl the card immediatly acts this way? If it happens after some time it may be overheating if it is instant then most likely as GregHess said. If this happens after some time then i woulod also verify if the fan is working, after playing games on my sons pc(fx5600 ultra)for awhile it has in the past done flakey things like this, but after an hour or so.. I always figured this was simply overheating.

I have a fx5900 xt card and it performs very well in opengl situations, lightwave, and softimage are fast and smooth. It should be pretty affordable by now, you may find it a quite sutible replacement if you must spend some money.

good luck

lots
10-14-2004, 06:33 PM
I had a very similar problem with my Geofrce 4 Ti4600 (PNY). If i remember right at some point in the past there was a manufacturer that had produced a huge quantity of bad capacitors, in tiawan, and sold them to various card makers (PNY, being one of them). needless to say, the bad caps had a tendancy to burst or "bloat" :). Which was the problem on my card, i would get funky blue and yellow blocks even in bios. Windows became unstable. My card was well out side its warrantee when this happened, but PNY took it back and replaced it for no charge (actually gave me a slight upgrade even :P). So you might as well try and see what Gainward will do for you. Since the cards are no longer in production, and they do replace them, you could end up with a better card :). Or rather "one of equal value." whatever that means..

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.