PDA

View Full Version : Why these P4 3.4G PC so different on performance?

dashwilson
10-14-2004, 05:41 AM
I want to buy P4 3.4G with Asus P4C800 motherboard but I found these data on Chris' Lightwave Benchmarks that they have quite different performance, does anyone know?
Please help!!http://hk.geocities.com/photojacky/P4.gif

Rabid pitbull
10-14-2004, 05:54 AM
well if you look closely the setting for the render are not the same... Also the second pc is oclocked, this is part of it too. Really i wouldn't base all of your purchace desision on these time anyhow. How much is that chip?? You would see little difference in performance if you scaled back to a 3.0 gig and would likely save you lots of $$$. The difference in performance will not be enough to justify it.

I have a p4p800 board 2.8Ghz I am very satisfied with it better to spend more on ram as LW definitly likes to use ram! 2G pc3200 dual runs nicely in that board. Trust me scale back on cpu and get more ram in the end it will better.

leigh
10-14-2004, 06:07 AM
I am very satisfied with it better to spend more on ram as LW definitly likes to use ram!

I find that LightWave very rarely uses more than around 700Mb of my 2Gb RAM :shrug: Which I actually find really frustrating because I often have to render incredibly complex scenes that I feel LightWave should be rendering more efficiently by making better use of my resources.

I even splashed out on a dual Xeon a few months back to find that LightWave just doesn't utilise the full power of the system like other programs I am running do.

Ed Bittner
10-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Rabid,
In actual fact, the P4 2.8 ghz is the same chip as the p4 3.0 ghz. Just underclocked. Intel brought out the same chip 6 months later clocked at speed. Fact.
E.

Lewis3D
10-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Hi !

There is no too much sense in comparing overclocked CPUs since they all have different setting and different RAM . All non overclocked CPUs (in that 3+ GHz= clas should have 200 MHz FSB and we see that one uses 228 and other 230 which multipled by 4 gives different spped. Also notice that one is Presscot and others are Northwook which isn't same core. Presscot have doubled L2 cacke to 1MB while northwoods have 512Kb. Presscot also have 11 more instructions than northwood and in soem cases that will slow down him and in other it'sll make him faster. So there is no strict rule how much will be faster or slower.

LEIGH - How's that possible ? I work everyday on hi-poly scenes and it sucks ALL my 2GB of ram very fast :(. Are you maybe refering to FPRIMe rendering ? If you use FPRIME you can't use more than 1GB since it won't alow (windows) more than 1GB on process (something about Windows and 32bit system). But i was rendering scene what used 1GB for scene loading and another 3,5GB of Swap/Virtual memory to acctualy render it (on my older 1GB Ram machine). Rendering took much more time due high ussage of SWAP but it did completed after few days (i did 6500*4500 resolutions wiht radiosity without FPRIME :) :))

Ultimatum
10-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Leigh and Lewis, where can I check how much LW is using of my memory?

Ive been wondering this, coz Im working in Modeler with app. 50.000 polys and the workflow is getting slow. (zoomin, moving etc.) I have 2Gb RAM, so I dont think 50.000 polys should slow my system down.

3Ghz processor
2Gb memory

- ultimatum

red_oddity
10-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Taskmanager?, or am i thinking too easy now :)

Lewis3D
10-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Leigh and Lewis, where can I check how much LW is using of my memory?

Ive been wondering this, coz Im working in Modeler with app. 50.000 polys and the workflow is getting slow. (zoomin, moving etc.) I have 2Gb RAM, so I dont think 50.000 polys should slow my system down.

3Ghz processor
2Gb memory

- ultimatum
Hi !

As alreadi mentioned just open TASK manager (if yoa re on windows machine :)). Fastest way to open it would be to hit CRTL+Alt+Del keys. Then you have few TABs but switch to one what says "processes" (should be active 26+ proceses or more - depending on programs satrted). There you will see some infos about MEM usage - look for "lightwav.exe" or "modeler.exe" and see "Mem Usage" in KBs.

Notice also that amount of memory wont help you to have faster/smoother reactions in modeler as loong as it's not sucked all RAM and started to use Vmem but that's sure not issue with 50K polys model. In modeler wiht 2GB ram i was able to load 5Million polys and still had free ram to use. Main thing why it's becoming slow its LWs "poor" OpenGL implementation and it mainly depends on CPU speed and GFXcard speed but not uses all power of GFX cards so it can be same speed if you have 250$ GFX card or 2500$ GFX card :(. Modeler is now having less OpenGL optimizations and lack some OpenGL features what are put in LW8 Layout but both of them are still pretty slow when working wiht large poly models. If you are using 50K SubDs then you sure will have slow feedback but normal polys shouldn't cause that evne on 2Ghz machines wiht cheap GFX cards.

I just hope NT will give us some good news about OpenGL in next release since this now is becoming too slow for proffesional work :(.

cheers

P.S. Right now I'm rendering and my "Layout.exe" uses 1,37GB of RAM acording to Task manager and scene is 2,7 million polys ;).

Rabid pitbull
10-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Rabid,
In actual fact, the P4 2.8 ghz is the same chip as the p4 3.0 ghz. Just underclocked. Intel brought out the same chip 6 months later clocked at speed. Fact.
E.
Very interesting. So then to oc a 2.8 to a 3.0 should be very reliable.:twisted: Still then the differences in these renders must be based completely on the scene settings, or someone is not being truthful.

Well I noticed that with more ram camed more stability, especially with fprime. Of course other programs definitly take advantage of increased ram, even if LW doesn't fully. The main reason I went from 1gig to 2 gig was because of zbrush, without tons of ram that program is limiting fast.

I still think more ram slower cpu for same money is best bet. At the very least it will allow for more applications to be running.

Julez4001
10-14-2004, 07:06 PM
So none getting any performance our of a dual cpus?
Also does hyperthreading help on hypervoxel or anyvolumetric solutions?

ArtisticVisions
10-15-2004, 02:46 PM
So none getting any performance our of a dual cpus?
Also does hyperthreading help on hypervoxel or anyvolumetric solutions?So far, I haven't used either Hypervoxels or Volumetrics (haven't started doing SFX yet), but I think having dual processors and hyperthreading does help..... to an extent. The main isssue for me isn't the processors, but that Lightwave doesn't fully use the maximum amount of Ram in my system (which is 3 GBs, but LW only uses 600 MB or less of it).

I really need to FPrime....... :sad:

Yiorgz
10-30-2004, 04:28 AM
Hi !

As alreadi mentioned just open TASK manager (if yoa re on windows machine :)). Fastest way to open it would be to hit CRTL+Alt+Del keys. Then you have few TABs but switch to one what says "processes" (should be active 26+ proceses or more - depending on programs satrted). There you will see some infos about MEM usage - look for "lightwav.exe" or "modeler.exe" and see "Mem Usage" in KBs.

If you have "Fast User Switching" enabled in XP, then yes CTRL+Alt+Delete. If you have disabled the fast user switching and have set up your PC for CTRL+Alt+Delete to log on etc then you will want to use the following:

Ctrl+LeftShift+Escape

:)

zappenduster
10-30-2004, 05:33 PM
If you have "Fast User Switching" enabled in XP, then yes CTRL+Alt+Delete. If you have disabled the fast user switching and have set up your PC for CTRL+Alt+Delete to log on etc then you will want to use the following:

Ctrl+LeftShift+Escape

:)
you could also just start it with taskmgr

just go to start/ run and type in taskmgr

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.