PDA

View Full Version : system runs at 50% workload when idle

richm
10-13-2004, 08:59 PM
my system runs at round 50% when idle, running no programs.
the cpu and system temps really hit the roof here.
ive installed adaware and found 30 nasty items and removed them but hasnt done anything to fix this problem. any suggestions?
thanks guys!

DanSilverman
10-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Use CTRL+ALT+DEL to access the Windows Task Manager and then, once the Task Manager appears click the PROCESSES tab. There you can see which processes are loaded and running on your system. In this area you will find catagories such as Image Name, User Name, CPU and Mem Usage. Look at CPU and scan for the process or processes that is/are consuming your CPU cycles. You can even click the CPU title to sort the list by the most/least CPU cycles being used. Once you find what is causing the problem look at the process' name under Image Name. If the name makes no sense to you (i.e. you don't know what it is) then do a search on Google (or some other search engine) and you will most certainly find out what that process is.

If the process you find is something you don't need, then you can end it (select it and click End Process at the lower right corner), but this is usually only a temporary solution as the process may come back the next time you start the computer. When you research the process on the web you should find out what program is creating it. You might need to uninstall an application or, if it is some sort of virus, torjan or spyware, remove it.

richm
10-13-2004, 09:28 PM
hey
thanks for the reply.
yeah i did that. none of the processes are major and need to be cancelled. oh well, might as well format and reinstal. just have to keep off the net :(
cheers

DanSilverman
10-13-2004, 10:55 PM
If you system is running at 50% when at idle then SOMETHING is going on and it will be there in the processes.

Obraxis
10-14-2004, 12:04 AM
Dude - I have EXACTLY the same problem. I'm running a hperthreading P4, and every day or so my CPU runs at 50%, with NO programs/processes running! I checked, and I have 99% System Idle.....I have no clue what the hell it is!

If you find out, let me know!

Rabid pitbull
10-14-2004, 12:22 AM
did you try spybot search and destroy?? It will find adware files that adaware will miss. Really good to have them both and run them to find ALL the crap that collects from the internret.

Obraxis
10-14-2004, 12:37 AM
Yeah - i make sure its virus/spyware free.

But the thing is...it happened to me, when my PC was just freshly formatted and WASNT connected to the web. I didnt have anything installed exept Maya and PowerDVD.

I think Microsoft need to address it maybe.

richm
10-14-2004, 03:49 PM
hahaha i killed the barstards! :) <me has a beer>

well i installed norton and downloaded the latest update and found 4 spyware apps and 2 trojans.

thank god my cpu is back to normal :)

to Obraxis: you'd better instal and anti-virus and update soon... left it too long myself, mostly being arrogant

to dan silverman: i didn't see any real heavy processes in taskmanager. serious, otherwise i wouldve killed them.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.