PDA

View Full Version : Human Skin Crits?

lwwiz
10-13-2004, 05:35 PM
hi gang now as im sure you all know i have posted this numerous times for crits and all i hear is about my human skin series. Well if you odnt have crits about this model itself then plz dont reply at all.

Pisong gave me a few lighting tips and i want to know what you all think. I think it has come a long way from what it was so thanks PISONG.

roguenroll
10-13-2004, 06:22 PM
i guess ive missed the series thing, but as far as the skin I think it does look pretty darn good, the lighting maybe a little dark. But the presentation of the skin and subtle nuanses of the shading and blemishes, make it pretty believable.

maddness
10-13-2004, 06:24 PM
i like it, i haven't seen any of your other work, but this is comparible to most.

leigh
10-13-2004, 06:25 PM
Your lighting needs a LOT of work - it's too dark and does nothing for the model whatsoever.

As for the skin... personally I think you've gone backwards, as I think it was looking better before. It looks more like sandpaper than skin, it has no fleshiness, it has no reflectivity... basically it looks dead. It still has a long way to go! Start by fixing up the lighting, and then working on your shading before you even think about textures.

lwwiz
10-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Well I havent changed the textures at all there exactly the same. All i have adjusted is the lighting so far and some procedular bumping.

Hey Leigh, how would you set up a light setup for this thing?

Pisong suggested one blue in front and one gold in back wich I did radio, with 3 bounces, at 100%, im going to add red as well. And the reason that I havent finished my series is because I want to make sure that I know what to do before I try selling something. But right now i have the actual making of the uvs and painting those in ps. Check it at 3d-wiz.com Oh and next time I do another head man im going to use big textures lol. And im working on some eyebrows for this guy.

Pi3141
10-13-2004, 06:41 PM
haha I just told him how I was lighting my scene at the time :P

you should have seen his lighting and render before http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/shrug.gif

lwwiz
10-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Yeah it was pretty dang bad before!! Tons better now.

Heres with that red light i talked abotu on the side 20% i think it is a little lighter?

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=42872

policarpo
10-13-2004, 07:00 PM
The scene needs quite a bit of work.

Do yourself a favor and pick up the book [digital] Lighting and Rendering. It will help you to really understand what it is you are trying to achieve.

G3D
10-13-2004, 07:06 PM
that this is bait.

leigh
10-13-2004, 07:06 PM
You know what I think? You should start the entire scene over from scratch again. The lighting you set up really depends on the look you want, so what works for Pisong may not necessarily be the right choice for you ;)

As for the skin - that bump needs either to go completely or be toned down a lot. That rough look really doesn't do anything for it - it doesn't look like skin at all.

Skin often looks quite waxy. Look at some good CG skin images and you'll see that the artists have created quite a waxy shading for them - it's in the smoothness and oilyness of the skin. Once you have it looking waxy, then it's a matter of softening that look to get a fleshier feeling in the right areas.

And since you mentioned the video series... in all honesty, I really think you need to forget about videos for a few years. I know it sounds harsh, but your skills are nowhere near what an artists should be if they want to teach. That is my open, honest opinion.

Take Policarpo's advice and check out some lighting books. Lighting is the most critical element for realism, and it's important to get your lighting looking right before you start working on textures. But you need to understand how lighting works, and how colours work, in able to utilise your lighting toolset correctly.

lwwiz
10-13-2004, 07:09 PM
you all are right and im not making an exscuse but im out of $$$$ to purchase sucha book. But tell ya what. ill work on just getting good lighting. so ill take off all the textures for nwo so you can see what it looks liek without those on then you tell me what needs to be doen to get that waxy feel wich leigh you have gotten down.

Pi3141
10-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Sloopy research indicates you going out on your own merrit and learning things for yourself.

I told you the other day, Spoonfeeding only teaches us the shape of the spoon.

How about you try and obtain that waxy look yourself first, then if your still having issues, come and ask for help.

policarpo
10-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Frack dude....at least read this page: http://www.3drender.com/light/index.html

yeesh.....learn to make a 3point lighting rig work for you at least.

It's important to understand basic theory before you do anything...and I honestly don't think you are quite there yet.

One must learn to walk before they can run...you need to stop running and learn to walk bro.

Cheers.

lwwiz
10-13-2004, 07:19 PM
hehe i think you all miss understood lol. Or i didnt explain it right i was going to get the waxy look lol then from there if it looks good i can rework or perhaps just re uv and paint them and make em bi like 4028 by 4028? i dont know we will see. ANyways heres a gray waxy one still working on the skin color for the waxy stuff lol.

policarpo
10-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Ummmm.....erm...kay.

forget my advice dude...you know exactly what you are doing.

Good job. :shrug:

lwwiz
10-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Whoa thats the first time youve ever said that to me!! Im truly thankful. lol:applause:

policarpo
10-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Whoa thats the first time youve ever said that to me!! Im truly thankful. lol:applause:
Dude...i was being sarcastic.

:rolleyes:

lwwiz
10-13-2004, 07:32 PM
oh bumer lol but its okay and all that waxy look? now to just get it look like fleesh.

policarpo
10-13-2004, 07:34 PM
It looks like a standard phong shader with specular which has been smoothed out slightly....not really waxy at all. Wax would have a slightly translucent effect...you would require an incidence in the luminosity channel at least to begin pulling that off.

lwwiz
10-13-2004, 07:45 PM
k thanks bud.

lwwiz
10-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Okay i have a 3 point light set up and ive got a better wax look but still am tweaking.

paulrus
10-13-2004, 09:30 PM
you all are right and im not making an exscuse but im out of $$$$ to purchase sucha book.

But didn't you say over on SpinQuad that you have $800 to buy a new system?

Maybe it'd be a better idea to buy learning materials first. LW'ers did awesome work back on the old Amiga and the system you have now is a TON faster than the Amiga's used back then. (ever see SeaQuest DSV or Babylon 5?)

A faster system doesn't mean better quality work.

Paul

lwwiz
10-13-2004, 09:39 PM
no i know, but ive been saving for a comp for in the hosue for game playing anyhow that i will do some lw work on. And i am looking for that book on ebay and will hopefully get it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.