PDA

View Full Version : Above and Beyond - Vehicle/Character - Apt Pupil -

Apt Pupil
08-17-2002, 12:11 AM
Ok, this time I am going to start by finishing the 2d section first(not like last time) *blush* I am going to enter all three catagories of this challenge, and another contest somewhere else simultanously (see my concept there for a 3000 poly model - click here - (http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/show05final.jpg) ).

Here is what I have so far in terms of sketches, otherwise, I am in the process of finalizing the lines(I'll show that soon) and then I will organize them into an interesting composition.

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/show01.jpg

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/show04shack.jpg

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/show05cockpit.jpg

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/show06back.jpg

Comments and Critiques are always more then appriciated

schmu_20mol
08-17-2002, 04:13 AM
hi ....great concept....wanna do that in 3d too...hush....ya got too much time?....geeh...just keep your stuff up and us updated ;)

Apt Pupil
08-17-2002, 04:52 AM
schmu_20mol --> Thanks

Well, I finished the cockpit, now working on the close up of the tool shed area.

http://www.magicswithin.com/artwork/contests/04cockpit.jpg

Apt Pupil
08-17-2002, 08:10 AM
finished the top shed:)

http://www.magicswithin.com/artwork/contests/04shed.jpg

dmcgrath
08-18-2002, 02:16 AM
Man you are a workhorse. Are you going for color here as well?
And then you are going to model it also? Hats off to you, brother?

But then again, reflecting on your past challenge, this should be a piece of cake. Until you have to texture it.

Good luck.

Apt Pupil
08-25-2002, 12:00 PM
Ok, I finally worked a little on my 2d entry. I started with one of the most crappiest sketches and I transfered the idea to 3d to get a good angle. Now I am in the process of building it up.

But basically, it will be a dark scene and to the right, there are going to be . . . well, I will show that when I get there :p

Apt Pupil
08-25-2002, 12:02 PM
:wip: :wip: :wip:

Apt Pupil
08-27-2002, 03:11 AM
[Edit = Banished supposed final date. I think I will work on both my 3d entry and 2d entry simultanously, hence progress will slow down here again:) ]

Otherwise, this is a new method of working for me (from black and white to color) and it should prove very interesting. I still have many things to add, but in the end, it should look 'very' cluttered.

:wip: :wip: :wip:

art7sayan
08-27-2002, 03:36 AM
Yeah, that's a good way to have a good angle!
Really good Apt Pupil!!
Can't wait to see it with colors! :bounce:

:wavey:

Apt Pupil
08-27-2002, 06:57 AM
I started the coloring :bounce: There is now only two items missing (excluding the technical drawing which I will overlay the table sheet with in the end). But, it's getting there. . .

Art7sayan --> Thanks, some colors are coming up;) Otherwise, hey, nice website you got there!! . . . and it's a little late, but happy birthday:) You certainly have a very promising career ahead of you.

mv
08-27-2002, 08:53 AM
Coming really nicely Apt Pupil :thumbsup:

Apt Pupil
08-27-2002, 09:10 AM
Ok, this is the last one for today, Tomorow, I'll finish adding in the technical skematic, the highlights from the glow, and maybe, I am not sure, but I will add a thing or two more:p

Thanks M@:)

:wip: :wip:

Apt Pupil
08-27-2002, 08:13 PM
This is probably very close to the final, however, I am not sure.

Comments and critiques would be Most welcome.

Do you think it's to colorful, to textury, or is something else needed?? I am kind of blind to it at the moment :blush:

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/APupils2DFinal.jpg

Apt Pupil
08-27-2002, 08:51 PM
:) a friend suggested the yellow welding glows look magical and are emanating from the graph, I will have to create a large yellow glow on the right to correct this originating problem.

Also, it looks like it's in a bedroom like it's a drawing table, hence wood shavings or work tools will have to be added as well to correct this.

If any one should have any other comments or helpfull hints, for the love of god, tell me:)

Kirt
08-27-2002, 09:56 PM
I was having a hard time understanding the sparks until I read your comments. To me they looked like they were coming from the pencil. I think probably because they seem to radiate out from that area, when they should be radiating outward from the source. Welding sparks would probably not bounce that much either ... so I'd get rid of those extra ones on the highset arc.

I like the set and don't think it looks anything like a bedroom. Definately a workshop of some sort. Although I would have probably put fewer pencils and brushes in the cup. Maybe a small wrench or screwdriver in there would give it a more shop-like feeling. And maybe some extra hardware scattered around on the table (nuts, bolts, screws, nails, etc.).

Lastly, a welder/grinder/whatever that produces that much sparks would probably put off a bit of light. You should reflect that light on some of your objects (especially the metallic ones).

I've been watching you develop this for awhile, but you really lost me when you started creating your tabletop setting. It looks good now that it's all come together. Just a bit a refinement here and there is all it needs now. :thumbsup:

freemind77
08-27-2002, 10:27 PM
EHEHEhe i almost can see that crazy engineer making such machine and sparks coming out from this.

my C+C is that sparks looks like flowing from water pipe now , and maybe from pencils like Kirt allready pointed. Pipes looks like paper tubes now (too uniform reflection on them) add some reflections from objects around .Also for cup (it looks now like from other sort o painting than the rest - more toon shaded ? - it dont fit theme well (i think this cup ), i would exclude all these pens and pencils and brushes and add some tools for working with metal (like some screewdrivers, oil tank, etc..just ideas) i like your work , keep up! :thumbsup:

Apt Pupil
08-28-2002, 12:16 AM
Ok, now I have added a neon demonic type glow on the right (I never thought I would be using a lense flare:p) so the sparks, I hope, looks like they are coming from there. I have also added one powertool (a drill), a shelve in the far back, some dust and some wood chips.

However, now that I read your comments, :cry: it's back to the drawing board. Ok, so now I have to add bolts and screws, metalic yellow reflections (Thanks Kirt) and change the brushes and some of the pencils in the cup to tools. (thanks Freemind77)
I am on it :thumbsup:

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/APupils2DFinal2.jpg

Comment's and Critiques are always appriciated, and . . . needed I think I am almost there, but more hints to improvements are more then welcome. If you think anything looks odd, give me a shout. Thanks

mv
08-28-2002, 12:55 AM
:surprised :eek: that's awesome. You used a 3d render for the plans?
Ah, yeah critiques needed. The objects on the maps don't cast shadows, or not enough I think. And, but it's just me, I think there are too many different colours, and too much saturated ones.

dmcgrath
08-28-2002, 04:31 AM
This concept is right up my alley, i love the picture in picture aspect. I am going to agree with the oversaturation of colors. You probably havent gotten to putting shadows in yet, so I wont mention. But also, the flare up is a little too overpowering on the right. I want to look at the picture on the desk but I sub-conciously wat to look away from that light burst. I think if it was smaller it would balance the pic out a little.

Sweet job man.

-dan

Apt Pupil
08-28-2002, 08:34 AM
Alrighty then, attempt numero 3. Here, I changed the cups contents a bit, blasted the whole picture with yellow, made the image darker, added bolts and one nail, refined the messy lines just a bit, increased the shadow intensity under the compass and eraser, saturated and dimmed the intense glow, and sharpened the image somewhat so the tech sheet does not look so blurred. I also banished the wood chips, because I thought they looked quite horrible. However, I did not decrease the amount of welding sparks because the little boy genius overdoes everything (if this was a comic strip, the next panel would be the house burning down heheheh:))

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/APupils2DFinal3.jpg

Do you think this one is better??? Don't assume I have left something purposly out, in my mind, I am finished already (well, actually, I am sleeping in my mind, but I learned not to listen to him :p)

Thanks dmcgrath and M@, I really appriciated the helpfull hints.:wavey:

As for the tech sheet, the only 3d thing that I used was in the beginning to get the right angle for the whole picture. Otherwise, everything is done in photoshop.

mv
08-28-2002, 09:26 AM
Definitely far better ! I prefer the color scheme now. But I think you should sharpen all the edges of your objects (:scream: yeah I know it's quite a long thing) because it clashes with the sharpness of the plan( which is very well made, the perspective of the letters is awesome! really looks like 3d).

jeroentje
08-28-2002, 09:31 AM
And there goes my chance for victory down the drain...

Great work Apt Pupil :applause:
Just the handle of the cup bugs me a bit.
jeroentje :buttrock:

dmcgrath
08-28-2002, 09:02 PM
Jeroentje, Apt Pupil, I am going to have a hard time deciding between the the two of you guys. Both are fantastic.

Apt, As to my opinion on the sparks, Im glad you didnt change the intensity on the right side. After all, I dont know the whole story behind the picture and you do. It really doesnt seem all that bad now that everything else is being affected in the picture as well. I say put this baby to bed, youre done with it. Now get to work on your 3D side already will ya??

Kudos
-dan

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

road
08-29-2002, 12:40 AM
WOW!!!!
:thumbsup:
great job on the image....
I love the concept of the image
also love the colors you have chosen to use...

Apt Pupil
08-29-2002, 04:49 AM
Hey, thanks guys, So I guess all I have left is to refine the lines just a bit (thanks M@), fix the cups handle (Thanks jeroentje, I think it's because the bottom of the handle is missing yellow tints so it looks kind of wierd. I'll fix it) and I am finished. Hence, I will now resume my work work with my 3d entry and finish this one on the side:)

Otherwise, thanks everyone for the help:love:

It's 3d time :):wip: :wip:

DimitrisLiatsos
08-29-2002, 03:42 PM
Although i don't draw at all , i must say that it is one of the most beautifull images i've seen.

Gongrats!!!:thumbsup:

fillfree77
09-04-2002, 03:51 AM
Hey, first I must say that it does look very good and much better then the previous tries. I still think that the style on the cup dous not really much all the images style.(my opinion).

Also could you make some 1024x768 resolution image that people could make it as a desktop image if they wanted(me):thumbsup:

DimitrisLiatsos
09-04-2002, 08:47 AM
:bounce: Good idea can u post a big one !!!???:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.