PDA

View Full Version : Crashing explorer with right click on files?

MaDSheeP
10-13-2004, 02:46 PM
Hey everyone, after the most recent release of security updates for windows xp, I have noticed quite a problem, any time I right click on a file, instead of opening up a pull down menu, it immediately closes what ever explorer window i have open, and nothing happens.... (btw, I am using XP with SP1)

if i right click on a file on the desktop, explorer restarts, everything disappears for a minute, and then things start reloading like I had just started up my computer, system tray icons start loading, etc...

so I have the feeling that there is something in my right click file options that is ticking off XP, possibly a program shortcut that is upsetting XP

which leads me to my question, does anyone have any idea the regedit address for that particular part of the shell?

I have dug around on google for quite a while and I can't seem to find anything on that covers that specific part of the shell under regedit...

any help would be awesome! :)

thanks

MaDSheeP
10-13-2004, 03:11 PM
ouch, it looks like explorer closes and restarts when all i do it left click a file, and press delete...

waa, I didn't want to reinstall XP, ah well, I guess i'll have to :(

MaDSheeP
10-13-2004, 03:21 PM
ahh HA, after removing all five of the new updates, my explorer is back and stable, i'm not sure which one was causing it, but since i use firefox, i'm not sure if these patches are really all that essential...

just happy i don't have to reinstall windows =)

EvilPuppet117
10-13-2004, 03:54 PM
congrats :applause:

Pavlovich
10-13-2004, 09:52 PM
after i tried installing sp2 my computer got royally f'ed sideways; i was able to troubleshoot it and get it 'working', until of course i restarted it and it had the exact same problems. i'm working on my thesis on this computer so i couldnt really afford for it to go kaput after installing an update, so i rolled back to before i installed the update, and i'm just ignoring any 'new update' messages for the time being.

MaDSheeP
10-14-2004, 06:09 AM
I'm probably not going to install SP2 using update, i will probably give my coputer a much needed format, and slipstreem SP1 and 2 and reinstall xp fresh =)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.