PDA

View Full Version : What are the hidden gems of Lightwave? (Hidden Features)

RobertoOrtiz
10-13-2004, 01:27 PM
I had the pleasure of talking to Celshader in person two weeks ago in a convention in the DC area.

As we talked she mentioned some really cool hidden functionality (hidden as in not documented) with the Softbody engine of LW.

This made me curious.

What are the hidden gems of Lightwave? (Hidden Features)
I feel that there is a lot of hidden gems just waiting to be found.

So get your fedora and the whip an lets do some exploring for more gems.
Looking forward to reading what you have found.
-R

qwertykd
10-13-2004, 08:46 PM
...hehe...i dont know any hidden things, but am curious as to the hidden features in the softbody engine you mention... :D

Celshader
10-13-2004, 09:40 PM
...hehe...i dont know any hidden things, but am curious as to the hidden features in the softbody engine you mention... :D
The big one is Nodematch. I mentioned it in an older thread...
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=165416&page=2

...but no one said anything about it.

---

Another trick that Splinegod demoed once was the ability to select multiple weight maps in Modeler, to see how they overlap. Use the VMap browser to see your list of weight maps, hold down the Shift key and left-click to select up to four weight maps. Each selected map will appear as a different color in Weight Shade mode. I'm not sure if that one's in the docs or not.

Bytehawk
10-14-2004, 12:35 AM
you can edit multiple textures at once by shift click-selecting them in the texture pannel list and then adjusting the features you need.

architook
10-14-2004, 02:34 AM
A useful but a little dangerous trick.
Use Command Input and type "AutoConfirm 1"

Then all LW requesters that wait for you to click "OK" won't even come up.
This skips over those annoying "can't find plugin" problems when loading scenes. It also means you don't have to exit the render info display after an F9. (Useful for fast repeated test renders!)

But it's dangerous because for example "Save object" won't stop and confirm overwrites, and "quit" quits IMMEDIATELY without asking.

Remember when you use it! Or you may panic the next day when everything seems strange and you can't remember why or how to turn it off : "AutoConfirm 0"

Joviex
10-14-2004, 02:43 AM
talent !! :thumbsup:

gerardo
10-14-2004, 05:00 AM
Hey! very interesting thread!
I think this feature (posted by Emiliano) to cure characters with parkinson, is very useful too:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=161655

Gerardo

pooby
10-14-2004, 07:33 AM
Celshader,

Nodematch does indeed look like a great feature.. Thanks for that..

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.